Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dark Knight 4 inch figures future waves?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I am not too familiar with this line or the way Mattel releases figures for that matter, anyone know if we will be getting a future wave that will have figures such as catwoman (not counting the battle for gothom pack), gordon, john black, etc?

Post subject: Re: Dark Knight 4 inch figures future waves?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm 
5th Horseman

Really? You think that's even remotely a possibility with the way these overpriced chunks of poorly sculpted ugly plastic are clogging shelves? EEEEEEEEEEEEEVEN if there were add'l characters sculpted (which I doubt as this is clearly a "Kid Line") they will never make it to shelves before this line is clearanced down to (an also overpriced) .99!

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:42 pm 
serves the Otter

I couldn't care less for the cheap crappy 4" line, but I wish we were getting another wave of the Movie Masters figures (even without any C&C item). Sadly that won't happen either. I would have loved getting Fox and um...Miranda Tate... in this line. An unmasked Scarecrow would have been wonderful too. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm 
shirtless hugger

I don't understand why Mattel chose this scale. I guess so it's less expensive and easier to make vehicles and such. With the QuickTek Armor it's just a kids toy and with DCIH gone, who cares.

These are everywhere, maybe when they get clearanced then they will be priced right but I passed on these. By the looks of what is clogging the pegs I guess everybody else did too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 pm 
Displays Backwards

I am guessing we won't see any more than what we have. I kinda like this line even though it is way cheap - and would like to see Blake, Gordon, maybe a Ra's - but I doubt it.

So far I've bought a Batman (should have waited), the green Bane (pretty crappy), the Target 5-pack (Catwoman is good, brown Bane still crappy), and a grey Batman at Kohl's (it was 7.99! but I was coming off a completely worthless toy run and it looks damn cool, just like the modern comics Batman - so don't judge me! Hey Toywiz is selling it for 12.99 - I got a steal!)

But those Quick-Tek armor things are awful, the Bane articulation is awful (I'll give Catwoman a pass because she's so skinny). This line totally deserves to fail - Mattel gave us crap and deserves to lose money in return - but they are probably profiting somehow in the end.

The Batpod is pretty damn cool, though. The armor on top of it is okay, but without the armor it is pretty sweet (the Batman with it sucks, of course). The Bat, on the other hand, is just okay, not worth $30 or $32 or $40 (greedy TRU).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm 
Displays Backwards

And I hate the way they have distributed the 6 inch line! I'm totally glad I've skipped them altogether. The 4 inch line is crappy, but at least they aren't getting scalped!

Mattel is just getting worse and worse - but don't worry, I'm sure they'll have a sub for $50 a figure come next year, and at retail will have figures with 3 POA, cuz that's what moms and kids like!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:45 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

It is crazy that a movie like Men in Black 3 had better 4" figures from Jakks Pacific. DKR, being the bigger and more anticipated movie, should have put out something at least on par with what the Men in Black 3 line had.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

What kills me is that the middle ground between the two DKR lines (a nicely-sculpted and articulated set of movie figures in the 4" scale) would have sold like gang-busters at $8.99 with minor accessories. They could even have produced decent version of Joker, Two-Face, Ra's, Scarecrow, etc., and sold to kids and collectors alike, thus increasing sales.

Instead, Mattel chose to split its customers down the middle and make products too expensive for the casual collector and too crappy for any buyer with standards. Result? Depressed sales.

But it's all the fans' fault, you know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Collector Inspector

What's funny is, at Target you have the Quick-Tek figures for $10.99 (or whatever) and the single figures with a weapon for $6.99 or something. But at the Mall Of America toy store here in MN, they carry the Quik-Teks, the single-carded figures with a weapon AND they carry something even LOWER. Small-carded figures with no weapon. You can go even lower! Even the card-back is smaller. It's like a square. Everything at the Mall is over-priced, so the normal 4-inch figure with a weapon is like, $8.99 or something and if you just want the figure , no weapon, it's like, $5.99 or $6.99. It looks even cheaper when you have to pay extra just to get a little weapon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 pm 
We're going streaking!

Those smaller figures without a weapon might be the ones I saw a month or so back at Family Dollar.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:35 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

They're at Five Below, as well, for five full dollars. 0_o They make the GL figures look like a well-made steal for $3 on the next pegs over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 pm 
Collector Inspector

Didn't mattel just cheap out on all the TDKR lines to begin with?
Most of the 4in stuff are just repackaged from the TDK line.
Aren't most of the 6in stuff the same way?

I'd love more from the 4in line. Blake, Alfred, rereleases of the Joker, Scarecrow, and the foldable batcave.
But these are pegwarming like crazy. Might pick up the target 5pack when it gets cheaper and some random Batmans.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 pm 
Cold-cast

I stand by my statement that I really hope Mattel loses the DC license soon. As they have done nothing right with anything DC for years. Terrible price point, poor distribution, cheap plastics used, cheaply made over priced figures, cancellation of lines, etc. They usually blame all this on us. You don't see Hasbro screwing up like this as much. Let Mattel stick to Hot wheels & Barbie. It's what they do best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 am 
We're going streaking!

DrGreenEvil wrote:
Didn't mattel just cheap out on all the TDKR lines to begin with?
Most of the 4in stuff are just repackaged from the TDK line.
Aren't most of the 6in stuff the same way?

I agree, but I wouldn't say the 6-Inch Movie Masters line is repackaged stuff. We got all new characters, minus the repackaged Batman, which if you got the K-Mart exclusive, at least you got something extra, along with the Batsignal piece (small consolation there).

I just opened my Movie Masters and besides the obvious cheap re-use of parts, or whole bodies, in the case of the suit body, it's not that bad a line or line-up. I am happier with it than I expected.

Clayface wrote:
I stand by my statement that I really hope Mattel loses the DC license soon. As they have done nothing right with anything DC for years. Terrible price point, poor distribution, cheap plastics used, cheaply made over priced figures, cancellation of lines, etc. They usually blame all this on us. You don't see Hasbro screwing up like this as much. Let Mattel stick to Hot wheels & Barbie. It's what they do best.

We all have our opinions, but I am overall happy with Mattel. I look at my collection and think that they have done a lot right, for years. As a happy DCUC collector, how can I say otherwise? I just think that many people forget that Hasbro's use of the DC license at the end of their run was truly pathetic. Would it be different now? Probably, given what Hasbro has done with the Marvel license, but after dealing with Marvel Legends, especially the relaunch, Hasbro doesn't get any vote of confidence from me when it comes to distribution either. Same for price point and cheap plastics, which is why I initially stayed away from and am now getting rid of my Marvel Universe figures.

I am not defending Mattel here, so much as I am saying that Hasbro isn't any better. The biggest advantage I think Hasbro has over Mattel right now, when it comes to super-hero licenses, is that they have a 3-3/4" line, a scale of which they are the masters at producing. I may not be a big fan of the MU line for various reasons, but when the price went down for a bit, it was enough for me to buy my share of them. Even if Mattel makes a better 3-3/4" scaled line than Infinite Heroes, I doubt they match Hasbro even on a bad day (and I own figures from some of those bad days!).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 am 
4" scale

Clayface wrote:

I'm happy with the figures we've gotten from Mattel as well. Are they perfect? Not at all. But even Marvel collectors have their gripes about Hasbro. I also know that I am not the target market for these smaller Batman figures. Collectors will always complain about one thing or another. I'm guessing you're not old enough to be around when Hasbro had the Batman license. They were worse at treating the property than Mattel is now.