Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bootleg DCUC Gleeks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:15 pm 
Daniel Pickett

There have been a rash of Bootleg DCUC Gleeks showing up on ebay these past few weeks. There are reports of them being terrible quality with lots of breakage. Has anyone bought one? I also hear the paint jobs can vary wildly.

Post subject: Re: Bootleg DCUC Gleeks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 am 
active in the community

I've checked these out.They use a stock photo that my not be the actual product.I would check out the buyer feedback first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:06 am 
Excelsior!

I have purchased two. The first one did indeed break. I sent it back and I am hoping for a replacement (which I will get to in a minute).

I bought a second Gleek from a different seller and he is great! No problems at all.

The first one I bought, the picture had Gleek's arm raised and they broke off when I tried to move them. The second one had a picture with the arms down. The price was right (under $20 shipped for each one), so I took a chance and, as stated above, he is great.

Over at Fwoosh, someone took one apart and saw that the arms are one piece, meant to break in the middle for free moving arms. The actual function turns out to be arms that move together or just twist right off (cheap plastic). It sounds like the Gleeks' torsos can be popped open and fixed, if you realize the problem ahead of time, of course! If I get my replacement and he has the same problem, I will give it a try.

Julius, are these confirmed bootlegs? Ones in the Mattel baggie still seem to go fro a decent price on eBay. These are just coming in small, clear baggies, so I assume sellers are getting them from the same place. Also on Fwoosh, someone said there are a few paint differences between these and the SDCC ones.

Either way, I am thrilled to finally have a Gleek to go with my Wonder Twins, bootlegs or not! I will probably open them up this weekend, now that the group is complete.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:03 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I bought one. I love it! I have had no problems and my paint sees spot on when compared to another Gleek that came straight from SDCC. Bootleg or not I'm happy with my Gleek.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:09 am 
Resin

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about terrible quality or lots of breakage, everything I've heard has said that the paint apps are great and I've only heard a few stories of breakage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:20 am 

BeeDub wrote:
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about terrible quality or lots of breakage, everything I've heard has said that the paint apps are great and I've only heard a few stories of breakage.

Heck you can buy a figure at retail and get two left hands and two left thighs. I've seen a few cases of breakage, maybe from 3 or 4 people on another site. You don't know how rough some of these people are and this guy has had to have sold close to 500 of these yet we only hear a couple of cases.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 am 
Aspires to be #1

It's hilarious if they're all bootlegs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:41 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
It's hilarious if they're all bootlegs.

Oh I think it would be too. Although for $13.00 I don't care but I can't see them all being bootlegs but if they are they're works of art.

Gleek was a figure I never would have bought at his standard rate.

So unless this dealer starts answering questions, I even sent him one, we only have conjecture they're bootlegs and not a bunch that went missing or even didn't make it past... and I know this sounds funny... a QC inspection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 am 
Excelsior!

Ah! You were one of the lucky ones to grab them at $13! I was tempted to see if they would get that low again (I did see a couple go for $12 and some change), but I really wanted Gleek and did not want to take any changes. I did wait long enough to grab him for $19.50 shipped. When he broke, the seller agreed to send me a replacement upon the return of the broken one, but I wanted to hedge my bets, so I bought #2 with the re-posed arms for about the same price, and it worked for me.

Best case, I have two good Gleeks for $40 and I give the second one to my daughter, who already tried to take mine. Worst case, I get another Gleek, he breaks and I just fix him for myself and give the good one to my daughter. It was worth it to finally get a Gleek!!!!

If they are bootlegs, and we don't know if they are, I would be surprised that Mattel hasn't tried to shut these auctions down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:38 am 

Yup, would never have bought him for anything more than 13 or so dollars. Now he chills in the TARDIS!

Causing problems!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:44 am 
Excelsior!

Van Statten, can the arms on yours move independently, or only together?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:48 am 

TRDouble wrote:
Van Statten, can the arms on yours move independently, or only together?

They move very independently of one another!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I bought one for about $17 shipped.

Very happy with the paint on it although I haven't taken it out of the baggie yet so I don't know about the arm movement.

If it's a bootleg, it is VERY WELL done and worth it to me.

I'm currently winning an auction for the Wonder Twins now (with a few hours left) and once I get the "family" together I will be a very happy camper indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 am 
Excelsior!

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I bought one for about $17 shipped.

Very happy with the paint on it although I haven't taken it out of the baggie yet so I don't know about the arm movement.

If it's a bootleg, it is VERY WELL done and worth it to me.

I'm currently winning an auction for the Wonder Twins now (with a few hours left) and once I get the "family" together I will be a very happy camper indeed.

Ben, if the arms do not move freely, don't force it! Check out the thread over at Fwoosh on how to (hopefully) fix the arms.

Once I clear a little space, I am looking forward to putting The Wonder Twins, Gleek, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief and Samurai together. I'd love to someday get a Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 am 
Collector Inspector

I got mine for $17 (including shipping). The paint job is fantastic. The arms move independently although they are a little stiff and tend to slowly inch their way back to their original positions.

Do the suspected bootleg versions have a code stamped on the bottom of his left foot?