Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:44 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

j1h15233 wrote:
Considering that Batman is generally depicted as having access to kryptonite whenever he wants, he could beat Superman, but so could anyone else who had some.

Cute.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 am 
Aspires to be #1

Why is that cute? Superman has a major weakness that causes him to lose strength, become ill or even die. He could be beaten by anyone who had some.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:03 pm 
shirtless hugger

How the frak did we get here?

Back on-topic, has anyone gotten their 3-pack yet?

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 pm 
Knows his stuff

Backward Galaxy wrote:

Superman can throw Batman faster than the speed of light? Is there no end to his powers?

j1h15233 wrote:
Considering that Batman is generally depicted as having access to kryptonite whenever he wants, he could beat Superman, but so could anyone else who had some.

And it seems like in the DC Universe, anyone could get some. From seanbaby.com: "Kryptonite is radioactive pieces of a planet that exploded decades ago on the other end of the universe, which might explain why it's so easy to find."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 pm 
serves the Otter

Backward Galaxy wrote:
I don't feel that Terry gained legitimacy because of his lineage.

For me, the legitimacy was because he chose the Mantle of the Bat when he finally arrived at that crossroad in his life where being Batman was no longer a fulfillment of a childhood fantasy or a personal need. Where the decision to continue being Batman would truly be his own.

You see, for me, all the conversations Terry had with Barbara Gordon always rung true. Because given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure that any kid of eight, twelve or sixteen would probably want to be Batman. And it's later in life, when the costs and consequences of being Batman are more palpable. So at the end of the day, it's not hard for me to imagine that, at some point, both Barbara & Dick reached a similar fork on the road and decided to walk away (or were pushed away) from the Mantle of The Bat. I also think that the issues of lineage and predetermination were brought forth because they were a strong enough catalyst to shake Terry's confidence and mess with his mind. Plus it served as a both, a bridge between series and as a continuation of the Cadmus Conspiracy. I mean, let's face it, you don't have to be The Question in order to realize that the conspiracies didn't stop just because the Heroes defeated Luthoriac/Brainthor.

By the way, here's a nice piece of Trivia:

This episode marks the first time that the Batman: The Animated Series theme was officially adapted for Terry instead of Bruce. In Batman Beyond, it was only used in the episodes "Disappearing Inque" and "Out of the Past" when Bruce himself was back in action.

So, yeah. Subconsciously... (or not), it looks like, for a couple of creators, this was the Episode where The Torch was finally/completely passed. (But that doesn't mean Terry had not earned it in his own right.)

See, here's another nice Bruce Timm quote:

“...ultimately, that’s what the episode is all about (or, at least that’s what we intended it to be about). All the artsy-fartsy fantasy / flashbacks, and the cameos and in-jokes and even the big, ‘soul-shattering revelation’ are basically window-dressing. What I like most about the episode is that it provides an honest ‘happy ending’ for Batman, without being overly sappy and maudlin. Especially once you realize the ‘flashbacks’ never, in fact, happen, it’s clear that Bruce has willingly ‘retired’ completely from Batman, confident that Terry will carry on his tradition, and his beloved Gotham will always be protected. Note that he says Superman called, wanting Terry’s opinion on a case, not Bruce’s. The idea being that Bruce doesn’t actively participate in crime-fighting anymore, not even in an advisory capacity—he probably doesn’t even monitor Terry on the com-link anymore (oh yeah, that was another—admittedly probably too subtle—‘fantasy’ hint: Bruce is wearing way too much silent-movie-villain eyeshadow in the Batcave sequences). The ‘soup’ bit implies that he’s taken on the ‘Alfred’ role, and though he nags Terry about the soup going cold, he seems pretty confident with his lot overall.

“And as for Terry, he changes the Batman paradigm—whether he’s Bruce’s son or his clone or whatever, that’s beside the point: as Waller tells him, bottom-line, he’s his own man. He decides at the end to be Batman on his own terms, ‘Screw it, I’m gonna break the rules, defy destiny—and probably defy Bruce too, I bet he won’t be too keen on the idea—I’m gonna marry the girl I love and still be Batman.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:04 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

My biggest gripe about BB was that we never did find out what happened to Dick. Barbara says something offhandedly about "Look up Dick someday, boy does he have stories" and that's it.

One episode with Dick would have been nice. That's all I'm sayin'. :|

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm 

red Ricky: That Timm quote only reinforces my point. He even calls the twist window dressing for what they were actually trying to accomplish. He goes as far to say it isn't even the point. So why have it at all? I believe that they could have accomplished the same story objective without being completely ridiculous.

Last edited by Backward Galaxy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 pm 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:

Except Luthor. He seems to have a Kryptonite factory hidden away somewhere and still can't win. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 pm 

Shellhead wrote:
My biggest gripe about BB was that we never did find out what happened to Dick. Barbara says something offhandedly about "Look up Dick someday, boy does he have stories" and that's it.

We know what happened to Dick. He had a huge falling out with Bruce & became Nightwing. Probably he found out that Bruce was getting it on with Barbera! lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:23 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Backward Galaxy wrote:
Terry didn't gain legitimacy because of his lineage. He gained a convoluted backstory. And any fan who only accepts Terry as Batman because of some twist that comes in after the series is already over wasn't being fair to the show or the character. What made Terry a legitimate and worthy heir to the mantle was what he did and accomplished as a hero. If anything, the twist might cheapen his legitimacy because it feels less earned. Once again, it's all about Bruce Wayne and how remarkable he is in every ridiculous way, right down to his genetics. This is the same exaggerated mentality people have when they say he can beat Superman in a fight. It's the same exaggerated mentality that allows him to avoid Darkseid's beams in Destroyer when supposedly no one has ever done that in the history of ever. And it's just plain nonsense.

I agree, "Epilogue" was so stupid, I love Batman but he was made way too powerful in JLU. The thing is though I actually did not like that Batman Beyond was Canon to all the other DCAU shows. I liked it when bt and Co. considered it a "alternate timeline" thing long ago. lol

D.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Clayface wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

We know what happened to Dick. He had a huge falling out with Bruce & became Nightwing. Probably he found out that Bruce was getting it on with Barbera! lol

I'm talking about what happened to Dick ultimately. Remember, they reconciled by the end of New Adventures.

Babs became Commissioner. Tim retired (and became Joker for a bit :lol: ). What happened to Dick? It's alluded that he's still alive by the time Terry dons the mantle, but other than one (IMO throw away) line of dialogue, he's never mentioned again. Even Bane got more closure than that.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:37 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Shellhead wrote:
I'm talking about what happened to Dick ultimately. Remember, they reconciled by the end of New Adventures.

Babs became Commissioner. Tim retired (and became Joker for a bit :lol: ). What happened to Dick? It's alluded that he's still alive by the time Terry dons the mantle, but other than one (IMO throw away) line of dialogue, he's never mentioned again. Even Bane got more closure than that.

All I need to know about Nightwing is did he ditch the Mullet? really, thats all I needed/need to know, ;)

Joe G. wrote:
How the frak did we get here?

Back on-topic, has anyone gotten their 3-pack yet?

...okay back on topic... no Joe G, I have not received my order yet. Hopefully on Monday I will. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:26 am 
5" Scale

red Ricky wrote:
I’m paraphrasing but Orson Wells famously said that “a happy ending, depends, of course, on where you stop your story.”

In the case of Angel, there was never going to be a satisfying ending. In Angel, if things got “too happy”, you felt something was definitely off or not true. So, as a writer, your other two options to end the series were… Angel finally dies… or the War goes On. (I don't think the "becoming human" thing was going to go anywhere.) So yes, I liked that ending. Personally, I would’ve “cut away” mid-fight instead of "just before"; but that’s just me.

But as I said before, I didn’t like other things. I mentioned the Wesley thing; and now I remembered the Lindsey thing. But all in all, it was a memorable finale. And I think it was better than the X-Files ending. And if that show came back after so many years... so can the Buffyverse. Specially after that Whedon/Avengers "flop".
I was specifically looking toward a Buffyverse ending like the one depicted in the first issue of Fray: The last Slayer (Buffy) and a few of her magical friends banish all demons from the Earth and either Angel or Spike Shanshu (the one Vampire with a soul left should have died). I wasn't expecting that on the last episode of Angel but without a Buffy movie to wrap anything up Angel's cliffhanger ending stung a bit.

As for the Buffyverse coming back, it can't because both David Boreanaz and James Marsters are now too old to play Angel and Spike. They had a finite window to wrap up the franchise and missed it.

Quote:

Wow! So it’s not enough that I said I knew Epilogue wasn’t the Series Finale… It’s not enough that you restated it as if I didn’t know better… But now I must “fix” the way I think because you don’t like it and told me to? Really??? Are you serious? Well, to quote Dwayne Johnson “It really doesn’t matter what you think!!!” The fact of the matter is that I liked it, and still think of it as the series finale. And according to Bruce Timm, it was meant to be the series Finale. And that’s good enough for me. But good luck “fixing” that.
Whoa! You REALLY took a throwaway comment I made in general personally. There was a reason I didn't specifically quote you: there were so many different opinions about things going around that I forgot who said what when I hit "post reply". Man, Red Ricky, I would HATE to have you mad at me because then you would demolish every single subsequent post I made with aplomb. I'm a little bit scared now.

Quote:
Well, that's my opinion. Things were never “neat” on Veronica Mars and the only constants were Power & Corruption. I feel that the last two episodes summarized the series without the burden of a yearlong mystery. People may not like it, but it's as valid (or invalid) opinion as yours or everyone's elses.
I think I didn't like it because I saw the horrible "Veronica in the FBI" promo on the season three set. It was awful and made clear that they had no intention of ever giving fans closure on characters we had grown to love over three years. The first two season finales were MUCH better and more satisfying.
Quote:

You see... the thing is... people are posting about "Series Engings" they liked, because... well... they want to share what made them happy. They don't want to build a concensus, or a greatest list of all time, and they certainly don't want to be criticized for liking what they like. But, if you still feel the need to want to fix that... I guess the only sensible thing is for us to enter "The Octagon" and have it out. Whoever's left standing over a puddle of the other guy's blood, was clearly "right" all along. :roll:
I actually find internet arguments about TV and Movies fun. It's when people personalize differing opinions that hurt feelings are involved. There was literally no offense intended with my remarks. I'm actually a bit surprised there was some taken. Stupid Aspergers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:44 pm 
serves the Otter

Received my pack today... Man I love Vandal Savage he looks so cool, and I am glad I finally have this figure. But WTHeck Mattel!!! The paint job on these is horrible. I so wish I could say I am done with you for good, ( I was originally after this pack,) but I have been thinking about getting the Firefly 3-pack to complete my TNBA collection. But anyways, how is it I spend over 40 dollars for 3 figures and they can't even have decent paint applications? (oh wait, sorry Batman actually had a decent paint app... for once in the million times I have gotten Batman :roll: ) Okay sorry... *Ahem, I am grateful for Mattel for releasing these, but come on... talk about price gouging and being complete cheap wads.
okay, now... the rant is over (I have so many don't I? lol.) I really like this pack, but I give it 3 out of 5 Stars, for the horrible price and bad paint applications.

D.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:41 am 
Loose, Missing Package

MOD- Removed offending post and responses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next