Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8274
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
The Lost ending was amazing (and the extra ending on the bluray set served as a great epilogue).

MASH's was incredible, however. Even as a casual MASH fan, it made me choke up.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1304
Okay Fone - one PM a-comin'!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:20 pm 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 2056
Location: J Street
Fone Bone wrote:
DisneyBoy wrote:
I need to say something here, though know I'm not saying it with venom - merely as an observation.

Several folks here have opted out of buying these last packs for the same reasons I did. Either they didn't really want the characters, or the price point was too high once shipping was factored in. And that makes complete and total sense to me and I'm very relieved to see no one is giving them any guff for opting out.

...so why did I have to take so much of it?


I don't want to get too much into specifics (if you want you can PM me) but most of the posters who bad-mouthed you then were fed up with your behavior in MANY different threads. I personally wasn't mad but I could definitely see the culmulative effects of what you were posting in various threads and I spoke up more as a warning to you about how much of the board was taking it instead of as a slam.

Bingo. It's the cumulative effect. After a while, he embodies the type of fan Toy Guru was referring to when he thought up the term “loud but not numerous.” Seems all he cares about is beating the drum for Hippolyta. And even then, he is on the record saying that “if the price were not right, he wouldn’t buy her.” Plain and simple, he wants Mattel to make him a Hippolyta… for free… or at least one that has been heavily subsidized by our purchases. (Basically, the tone is always "Forget what Mattel… the line… and the rest of you need. I want Hippolyta.")

And that’s the problem. It’s always the same song. And after a while, it rubs people the wrong way because it’s never what’s best for JLU and its fans. Case in point, this thread. By dredging up an old issue rather than staying on topic, he is making it all about him and not JLU. He was even nonchalant about the fact that he didn’t help the Save JLU campaign. So the take away seems to be... that with him... It’s always me, me, me… let’s talk about me... what I want… I want Hippolyta…why them and not me, etc.

Whatevs. IMHO this shtick has overstayed its welcome.

As for the question at hand, the answer is simple. Others don’t get flak because they stay on topic, and are not selfish or pushy. Because they take their friends wants into consideration and support the making of figures which the vast majority of AFi’ers want. Because they willingly campaigned to Save JLU and didn’t have to be coaxed or guilted. And because they don’t have to have things their way, all the time, every time. I mean... we get it. He loves Hippolyta, Circe, Steve Trevor, Granny Goodness and Wonder Woman. But honestly... where others have "Most Wanted" lists in the 10ths, 20's, 100's... his stays the same. And he beats you over the head with the same five, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over!!!!!!!

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:26 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I think we get it dude, and I think that post was a tad overkill, I feel you made your point in the first paragraph of your post. if DB really bothered you, why post about it? Maybe you could just ignore him?... I am not trying to make a scene, but seriously lets all just let it go now, you disagree with Disneyboy? Check, let's move on shall we? :)

So has anyone had their order shipped yet?

D.

_________________
Coming soon, a DCAU Figure Reference Guide... pictures, stats, and more, coming soon to a website near you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10595
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
MOD- Back on topic, this side-discussion is done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:43 pm 
ABS
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 253
Location: new jersey, parlin
Leave DB Alone, I want hippolyta too :) But I agree Mattel is a company that is in it for financial needs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:03 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1885
tuning4k wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
In fact, I think it may be the greatest ever series finale, period.


M*A*S*H beats Lost without even needing to stand up.

As for the single greatest and most satisfying ending ever for a serialized series, I've gotta go with Farscape: The Peace Keeper Wars.

I didn't care much for the last episode of MASH but in fairness to it I never saw much of the rest of that show for comparison. The Peacekeeper Wars WAS awesome but I think that would have worked better as a 22 episode season. There was too much left unanswered. Stupid, stupid Sci-Fi Channel.

What did you all think of the last episode of Newhart? Before Lost came along that would have gotten my pick for best ever.

Worst finale ever is a three-way tie between The X-Files, Roseanne, and Twin Peaks. Yuck.

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:18 pm 
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 419
Tom2814 wrote:
We still have hiders and card-benders and such around here, and it drives me nuts. We'll be shopping at Target and find toys hidden behind the towels. Mostly it's Hot Wheels or GI Joe, but we've found the occasional comic-book figure too. Or, if the toys are actually still on the pegs, someone will have come around and bent every single card back. But this is a town where on any given morning you can drive by Target fifteen minutes before opening and see six or seven Hot Wheels guys waiting to get in with their printouts firmly in hand. It's no wonder that nobody in any of the toy departments around here wants to help you.


BITD when BTAS series figures were out. I used to goto a Walmart every morning hoping to find a Batgirl & Harley Quinn. I would be outside waiting for the store to open in a group with a bunch of Hot Wheel @$$holes. It was great because there was probably no competition to get my treasured BTAS figures. But I had to deal with these rude idiots everyday. They would just run in, practically killing each other & make a mess of the bins & just throw the cars around on the floor wherever & leave. I always felt bad for the morning toy girl that had to clean them up after those @$$holes that I would always help her. Plus she was really cute, so that influenced me to help :lol: It paid to be a nice guy because we became friends & when my treasured Batman figures came in, they never even made it to the floor. Just in case someone else might have wanted them she kept them in the back until she saw me walk in. When she did that for me I was impressed & I ended up jokingly asking her out. She said yes. We dated for quite sometime until she was promoted to a corporate position & basically had to relocate. She ended up traveling to stores all over the country. When she came back around here, we would hook up. But we just lost touch after awhile. I wonder whatever happened to her? Anyway, yeah those Hot Wheels guys are real tools. You wouldn't believe how most of them act. I've even seen them pull cars out of little kids hands.

ian5555 wrote:
Interesting reading the stories of Volcana. I bought the first 7 of JLU then didn't buy any till after Volcana had come and gone so never was in the hunt for her. I honestly don't get what the big deal is. Nearly any action figure line has those "hard to find" characters especially any one that has been going for what 10 years? In all honesty the $100 is not that bad for that one figure and the $30-75 for a few handfuls of others when you can get the bulk of them for $3-5 most likely loose. It would have been nice to pack them in with other 3 packs though but it just didn't work out that way.

Still not bad for a line with 100's of figures imo.

As far the last 3 packs go. I'm only buying 3 of them because I have wanted Vandal and Mongul forever as 2 of my favorite villains and it's hard to say no to the Toyman 3 pack. $30 is a hard pill to swallow when these were $10 what 3-4 years ago?


It's not the fact that they are just " rare " Like Penguin from BTAS for awhile was the " rare " figure. He used to sell at comic shows for $100 or more. But It wasn't Kenner's fault really. I mean they may have made him one per case but he was guaranteed to be in every case & shipped everywhere. I remember when I didn't collect BTAS seeing Penguins just sitting on the shelf because no one wanted him. Which is exactly why there was a demand for him later, just because no one bought him. I'll never forget how happy I was to find one at a yard sale for $3. He was missing his cloth jacket & had a few scratches. But none the less I finally had a Penguin & I made that cloth jacket for him. Later when ebay started becoming big, just like everything someone digs out their old toys & started selling them. Getting huge bank, everyone else sees that & they start listing theirs. Price of the item drops drastically. Shows how much is out there & I think you can get a Penguin now for like $15 to $20 dollars in the package.

With Volcana & the other " rare " figures. It was pretty much all Mattel's fault. They didn't produce enough of them & they weren't even shipped to some areas. Terrible distribution by Mattel was a curse of this line. But this instance was the worst. I remember seeing people post on here at the time that they went to the same stores every single day & never even saw those figures at all. I remember, every figure that was tough to get say..... The demon 3 pack. I least saw many times after I finally found it. But Volcana & some of those other purple carded 3 packs, I only saw once. The one time that I bought them & never seen them again. Mattel was nice enough to rerelease Parasite, Stargirl, Star Sapphire, & others on individual cards later in the run which nicely destroyed the outrageous collector prices they were fetching on ebay. I think that made most of us happy. Because for the most part, I don't think any of us really think we are going to send our kids through college with our collection one day. The time of collecting toys for investment is passed & it's not about that anymore. We all just seem to want to get our favorite characters/toons immortalized in plastic on our shelves for the most part. Mattel really screwed us by promising a single rerelease of Volcana & kept pushing her back instead releasing " disco " braniac, Metallic Captain Atom, or Toon Accurate MM. Finally I thought we were going to get her in the 6 pack with Firefly & Destiny. But the line got cancelled & the games Mattel played with the final figures began.

I hope that I helped you realize what the big deal is :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1885
Whoa! How'd I miss this?
red Ricky wrote:
Bingo. It's the cumulative effect. After a while, he embodies the type of fan Toy Guru was referring to when he thought up the term “loud but not numerous.” Seems all he cares about is beating the drum for Hippolyta. And even then, he is on the record saying that “if the price were not right, he wouldn’t buy her.” Plain and simple, he wants Mattel to make him a Hippolyta… for free… or at least one that has been heavily subsidized by our purchases. (Basically, the tone is always "Forget what Mattel… the line… and the rest of you need. I want Hippolyta.")

And that’s the problem. It’s always the same song. And after a while, it rubs people the wrong way because it’s never what’s best for JLU and its fans. Case in point, this thread. By dredging up an old issue rather than staying on topic, he is making it all about him and not JLU. He was even nonchalant about the fact that he didn’t help the Save JLU campaign. So the take away seems to be... that with him... It’s always me, me, me… let’s talk about me... what I want… I want Hippolyta…why them and not me, etc.

Whatevs. IMHO this shtick has overstayed its welcome.

As for the question at hand, the answer is simple. Others don’t get flak because they stay on topic, and are not selfish or pushy. Because they take their friends wants into consideration and support the making of figures which the vast majority of AFi’ers want. Because they willingly campaigned to Save JLU and didn’t have to be coaxed or guilted. And because they don’t have to have things their way, all the time, every time. I mean... we get it. He loves Hippolyta, Circe, Steve Trevor, Granny Goodness and Wonder Woman. But honestly... where others have "Most Wanted" lists in the 10ths, 20's, 100's... his stays the same. And he beats you over the head with the same five, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over!!!!!!!

Too far, dude. Whenever I get the grouchies I eat bran. It helps. :P

Remind me never to get on your bad side. :wink:

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
I don't know what you guys are talking about...I already have Circe in my collection

http://sc.dchallofjustice.com/?p=3331

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 1541
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
princeofpop98 wrote:
Leave DB Alone, I want hippolyta too :) But I agree Mattel is a company that is in it for financial needs.


Wait a sec, hold the frickin phone, a company is in it for the $$ and that is somehow a BAD thing? Wow......ok.

And as to DB he hasn't done anything nearly all of us (myself included) have done and that is try to push what figures we want and cry foul nearly anytime a figure is made we don't like. Lots of pot kettle both black thing here and hypocrisy.

Back on topic though. Glad this latest pack was made, VS has always been on my list of wants. Extra Batman kind of sucks but that is what kids and relatives are for, to give extra figures too :)

_________________
“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” Thomas Jefferson

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 am 
User avatar
Wonderdog
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 709
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Fone Bone wrote:
For the record, the third to last episode (Across the Sea) did in fact suck so the final season was far from perfect. But the last episode is probably the single greatest series finale genre fans have ever gotten. In fact, I think it may be the greatest ever series finale, period.

I think my real issue was less about the actual finale, as it was about what a mess the last two seasons (and the last season in particular) were as a whole. I was pretty well fed up with Lost by that point, so I admit that kind of biased me against it going in.
But, going back to the actual finale, there was another reason I was disappointed. I was late coming into Lost. I think I started watching while season 3 was on-air, and quickly caught up. I was probably halfway through season 2 when I interviewed for a job at a big company in Manhattan. While checking in with security, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between 2 of the guards. These gentlemen were (how to put this gently)... not particularly intelligent. They never even said the name 'Lost', but it quickly became obvious what they were talking about. And they basically blew the big reveal of the final episode for me right there. They knew exactly what the island was at that relatively early stage. And as I said, it's impossible for me to believe these 2 figured it out on their own, so I can only assume they read this on the internet somewhere.
Now, knowing as we do now that the writers had no idea how the show was going to end when they started it (and maybe, or should I say probably, not even by season 3), I came to the conclusion that the writers actually got the show's ending from internet fan sites. Am I right? Who knows. But as I said, it really left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

_________________
Greetings from Broca Beach!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1304
Clayface - I had no idea Penguin was once the rarest figure in the BTAS line! Interesting. Also interesting? You dating the gal who put aside the toys for you ;) LOL, I'd have thought a guy buying figures would be a turn-off back in the '90s, before "geek" became cool, as it has the last few years. Good for you man!

I really wonder what kind of distribution JLU got across Canada, and how it compared to the US distribution (how many figures went where and how often). I don't even remember the last waves I saw at TRU...but I do know I bought the Mirror Master/Copperhead/Luthor pack there waaaaay back when (and it was still almost a year after that pack showed up in the US stores!)

Strange to hear so many stories about Volcana's head breaking off!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 am 
Fugitive Dust
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 231
Volcana has a big head and a lot of hair and a skinny neck that's just waiting to break.

I fixed the broken one with some crazy glue and putting in a thin metal rod (part of a paper clip) for more structural integrity. So far she's held up, but now she's behind a locked glass door! With the back up packed away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:50 am 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 1593
DisneyBoy wrote:

Strange to hear so many stories about Volcana's head breaking off!

Yeah I hear it 10 times a day.

Anybody ever wonder if this is part of the reason why Volcana has been "bumped" so many times? Maybe part of some child safety policy aka a possible chocking hazard?
Anybody know if translucent Volcana is any more durable than the original?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.053s | 10 Queries | GZIP : Off ]