Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: SEPTEMBER 17th - JLU Vandal Savage 3-pack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

ed case wrote:
I think my real issue was less about the actual finale, as it was about what a mess the last two seasons (and the last season in particular) were as a whole. I was pretty well fed up with Lost by that point, so I admit that kind of biased me against it going in.
But, going back to the actual finale, there was another reason I was disappointed. I was late coming into Lost. I think I started watching while season 3 was on-air, and quickly caught up. I was probably halfway through season 2 when I interviewed for a job at a big company in Manhattan. While checking in with security, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between 2 of the guards. These gentlemen were (how to put this gently)... not particularly intelligent. They never even said the name 'Lost', but it quickly became obvious what they were talking about. And they basically blew the big reveal of the final episode for me right there. They knew exactly what the island was at that relatively early stage. And as I said, it's impossible for me to believe these 2 figured it out on their own, so I can only assume they read this on the internet somewhere.
Now, knowing as we do now that the writers had no idea how the show was going to end when they started it (and maybe, or should I say probably, not even by season 3), I came to the conclusion that the writers actually got the show's ending from internet fan sites. Am I right? Who knows. But as I said, it really left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

Spoiler: show
Are you talking about the whole Purgatory thing? Because the island definitely was not Purgatory. That was the Sideways world. I have a hard time two people could have figured out what the island "was" when there was no single explanation for the island. People were looking for one but there were a TON of reasons the island was weird (Dharma Initiative, Smokey, The Others, Jacob) and not just one.

Unforunately, everyone was expecting a "Sixth Sense" type ending so the writers gave it to them by making the Flashsideways Purgatory. That wa unnecessary and I think the only part of the finale that didn't really work. It's a good discussion though which is what all good thought-provoking television provides.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:48 pm 
Knows his stuff

The best series finales ever have been Angel, The Shield, Arrested Development, and LOST (probably in that order), with a special award for The Wire for the emotional montage at the end, showing us all the characters we came to know and love (or hate), and what their futures held.

Twin Peaks had the most insane (and maddening) series finale ever, but that's because it was only supposed to be a season finale. The movie that followed, Fire Walk With Me, contained some allusions to the finale, but it was really a prequel, not a sequel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 pm 
Cold-cast

Big Bad Voodoo Lou wrote:
The best series finales ever have been Angel, The Shield, Arrested Development, and LOST (probably in that order), with a special award for The Wire for the emotional montage at the end, showing us all the characters we came to know and love (or hate), and what their futures held.

The Shield was an amazing series. It kept me in suspense from week to week. I was so sorry to see it end.

DisneyBoy wrote:
Clayface - I had no idea Penguin was once the rarest figure in the BTAS line! Interesting. Also interesting? You dating the gal who put aside the toys for you ;) LOL, I'd have thought a guy buying figures would be a turn-off back in the '90s, before "geek" became cool, as it has the last few years. Good for you man!

Strange to hear so many stories about Volcana's head breaking off!

I was never your typical comic/toy geek. I've always been the cool guy with an outgoing personality. In high school I was the leader of my kliq, dated cheerleaders, was cool with all crowds blah blah blah. I just happened to have a love for superheros/comics/cartoons & some figures of the things I really liked. In High School I kept all that stuff on the DL, though. :lol:

Before I got rid of my Volcana, her head did seem to be a little loose. Glad I got rid of her when I did!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm 
Brand Manager

I was going to say Angel, but the thread got derailed for a sec'. Then I remembered that Wesley was basically sent out on a Suicide Mission and that always bothered me for some reason. Lost's ending was okay, but I never liked what the Sideways world turned out to be. I would've been perfectly fine with it being an Alternate Timeline (which would've meant that Juliet's death wasn't in vain.)

As for other Finales... I guess there have been many, but if we are talking "regular series" and not stuff like Superman:The Animated Series... then, for some reason, I don't know why, but the Quantum Leap and the Babylon 5 finales, always come to mind.

Smallville's would've been cool if the suit got more screen time. Other favorites include Veronica Mars... rockin' it, as always... and Cheers!

Anyways... I'm sure that if I think real hard, I'll come up with some over looked gems like Friday Night Lights, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Angel's finale was terrible. I hate cliffhangers. :evil:

I wanted to see the big fight.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:20 pm 
Knows his stuff

The Angel: After the Fall comics picked up directly where the series finale left off, but they are horrible.

I love that we didn't see the final fight, because that wasn't what the show was about. The show was about trying to do good and continuing to fight against overwhelming, impossible odds, because that's what Champions do. And no matter what, we knew that's what they were going to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 pm 
Fugitive Dust

LOST was the top finale in my opinion. I think that the ending for JLU was perfect for a superhero show because "the adventure continues" except we just don't watch any more of the adventures.

I do want to ask, has anyone received shipping confirmation? It usually comes pretty quick but so far no confirmation yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Velocity wrote:
LOST was the top finale in my opinion. I think that the ending for JLU was perfect for a superhero show because "the adventure continues" except we just don't watch any more of the adventures.

I do want to ask, has anyone received shipping confirmation? It usually comes pretty quick but so far no confirmation yet.

Iv'e just got my shipping information for these, but the sets I ordered last month still haven't arrived to me in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:27 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
elvis8batman wrote:
Iv'e just got my shipping information for these, but the sets I ordered last month still haven't arrived to me in the UK.

I just got my shipping confirmation as well, but sorry they take so long e8b, I hope this order goes faster though, :)

D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 am 
shirtless hugger

I got my shipping confirmation as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:19 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Clayface wrote:

I hope that I helped you realize what the big deal is :lol:

No, it really didn't because I don't see what the big deal is. So it was a hard to find figure, so what? It's nothing new in the action figure world and what you posted is nothing I haven't read before in the last few years except for the Penguin comparison which you couldn't possibly back up the claim anyway. The point is sometimes people just get to figures before you do, companies distribute figures based on selling patterns or don't order as many. Sometimes the manufacturer (as in this case) decided that maybe Batman would sell better than Volcana. Yes, yes I know everyone likes to point the finger at Mattel and wag it at them and blame them for missing out on a figure. This is quite the popular thing to do these days.

There are plenty of action figure lines out there with hard to find characters . It happens all the time and has been going on for decades.

Scratch from TMNT
Vision for Marvel Universe
Yak Face from Star Wars
Night Force for Gi Joe
Cyborg from Super Powers

just to name a few.

The only reason this is such a "big deal" is that she is the only figure really from those few waves that was not released again. If people remember Dead Shot, Star Sapphire, Obsidian and Big Barda were ALL like Volcana at one point until they were released again as singles or in a six pack in Obsidian's case.

Got my shipment confirmation for VS...sweet :)

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 am 
Aspires to be #1

I never thought Star Sapphire was hard to find at all, but when I got into this line I had a list which included Obsidian, Deadshot, Barda and Volcana. I told my then girlfriend that if she ever saw any of those to buy them immediately. I was positive I would never get them for a decent price until they actually showed up at stores again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 am 
Collector Inspector

Got my shipping notice.

As for the series finale of Angel, they were promised another season and as they were filmingthat episode, they were told that next season wasn't going to happen. They thought of changing the ending to be less of a cliffhanger and give the audience a stronger sense of closure. But they were kinda pissed at the studio and said screw it. This is our "never-ending fight against evil" ending.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 am 
Brand Manager

Velocity wrote:

Even though "Epilogue" is in the "wrong season", I still think of it as "The Finale" to JLU. And Chronologically speaking, I guess it still is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:49 am 
Knows his stuff

red Ricky wrote:
Even though "Epilogue" is in the "wrong season", I still think of it as "The Finale" to JLU. And Chronologically speaking, I guess it still is.

I'm surprised JLU didn't get mentioned more often with talk of all of these finales (on a board where the conversation always drifts back to JLU!). Considering the producers didn't know season five was going to happen, the Cadmus ending (Question Authority/Flashpoint/Panic in the Sky/Divided We Fall) and Epilogue were a perfect ending to the DC Animated Universe. Honestly, I don't know what they could have done to make the ending any better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next