Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:25 pm 
User avatar
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1050
There are only a few hours for this 'pre-sale' to go through. The thermometer is only half full, if that, more half empty.

Prediction: These figures will still be sold, because they are already made.

I am pretty sure this is Matty's way of seeing how to gauge just how much they can charge for something like this, much like they did with JLU. If you recall, the final JLU packs were offered for 50 bucks a pop, and there was no other way they would be produced. I figured they were already produced, and that Matty was trying to rob us blind. Lo, and behold, they buckled, and the figures still showed up. Which is great.
I don't begrudge anyone for pre-ordering these figures. I would, if they were actually priced reasonably, but they aren't. Matty is gouging the fans and shouldn't get away with it. Miss Martian doesn't even look like M'gann. It's pathetic.

If these figures aren't released, then that sucks, but I'm pretty sure they will be. The thermometer will miraculously breach the threshold within mere minutes of the time required to produce these overpriced, accessory-less figures.

(p.s.- I'm just bitter that I refuse to pay $60 for two figures that should sell for $30 tops. tops!)

_________________
Mattel 6": Crossbow Batman, Duel Blade Batman, Shield Strike Batman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12397
Location: College Station, TX
As I understand it, they aren't already made so I say we won't see these.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 am 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10206
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Very unlikely that we'll see these made, at least not as they were to be. Out of the two, Superboy was going to be the expensive one to tool, MM is just the standard female body with a new cape, hands and heads where Superboy was going to be a whole new set of legs, head, lower arms and, maybe, hands. Like I said in the other thread, I can see the MM head and cape sculpts used in the sub with the t-shirt Supergirl body with the standard chest in place of the "S" tee (and maybe new boot tops, can't remember if there are any existing ones that would work at the moment) to make the "standard" MM costume. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a t-shirt wearing Superboy (comic-style) showed up in the DC Unlimited (or maybe a Superman Unlimited) line next year tied to the movie. That one would still take some work, but with a retail budget (and a couple parts scrounged from Kamandi) I could see it happening.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 am 
User avatar
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1050
Jim_Abell wrote:
Very unlikely that we'll see these made, at least not as they were to be. Out of the two, Superboy was going to be the expensive one to tool, MM is just the standard female body with a new cape, hands and heads where Superboy was going to be a whole new set of legs, head, lower arms and, maybe, hands. Like I said in the other thread, I can see the MM head and cape sculpts used in the sub with the t-shirt Supergirl body with the standard chest in place of the "S" tee (and maybe new boot tops, can't remember if there are any existing ones that would work at the moment) to make the "standard" MM costume. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a t-shirt wearing Superboy (comic-style) showed up in the DC Unlimited (or maybe a Superman Unlimited) line next year tied to the movie. That one would still take some work, but with a retail budget (and a couple parts scrounged from Kamandi) I could see it happening.


That would be a way better option.

_________________
Mattel 6": Crossbow Batman, Duel Blade Batman, Shield Strike Batman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:50 am 
User avatar
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 304
Yeah, I think this is different than JLU. The final JLU packs were supposed to goto retail. Target pulled the plug or whatever the story is. So they were already tooled & by the way they were popping up on ebay, many were already produced. Even if they weren't already produced sitting in a warehouse somewhere, they were tooled & the molds were made. Mattel acts like they did US a favor. Out of the goodness of their hearts they decided to release these for us. Even were nice enough to drop the price for us from $50! ( sarcasm ) the only ones they were doing a favor was themselves. Because they didn't want to eat the cost of the tooling & molds.

Now as for the YJ figures, I don't think those figures were tooled. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think a prototype of these figures were on display at any of the shows? So I really just think they mocked up a picture for the website. I do agree with Jim that we may see some variation of the MM figure since she would be an easy figure to make using already existing bucks/parts. But OI don't think Superboy will ever be produced unless they sell through with these outrageous prices in the presale. Yes the prices are ridiculous & I really have much better things to spend $60 on than 2 pieces of overpriced plastic.

_________________
MATTEL JUST SUCKS!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:16 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:54 pm
Posts: 117
Location: D.C.
Clayface wrote:


Now as for the YJ figures, I don't think those figures were tooled. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think a prototype of these figures were on display at any of the shows? So I really just think they mocked up a picture for the website. I do agree with Jim that we may see some variation of the MM figure since she would be an easy figure to make using already existing bucks/parts. But OI don't think Superboy will ever be produced unless they sell through with these outrageous prices in the presale. Yes the prices are ridiculous & I really have much better things to spend $60 on than 2 pieces of overpriced plastic.


A proto of Invasion Conner was shown at Toyfair in February, and it was shown again with the Miss Martian proto (with alternate headd) at SDCC; however, it is extremely unlikely that these have gone to the tooling stage, hence the presale and tentative release date of third quarter 2013, and this is very likely the last we're going to see of them...in this form anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 am 
User avatar
Daniel Pickett
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8204
Location: So Cal
And I know on the surface $50 is a lot for 2 6" figures, but these would have essentially been made-to-order figures. If they sell enough that's how many they would make. Almost like getting 2 custom figures factory made.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 pm 
User avatar
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 304
JuliusMarx wrote:
And I know on the surface $50 is a lot for 2 6" figures, but these would have essentially been made-to-order figures. If they sell enough that's how many they would make. Almost like getting 2 custom figures factory made.


If they are made to order & custom, I want my MM in her season 1 outfit & instead of superboy, I want wondergirl instead....lol I know what you mean, just being a smart @$$. I still don't feel they are worth $60 because they aren't custom figures that are on the top of my list.

_________________
MATTEL JUST SUCKS!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 pm 
User avatar
Resin
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 388
Clayface wrote:
JuliusMarx wrote:
And I know on the surface $50 is a lot for 2 6" figures, but these would have essentially been made-to-order figures. If they sell enough that's how many they would make. Almost like getting 2 custom figures factory made.


If they are made to order & custom, I want my MM in her season 1 outfit & instead of superboy, I want wondergirl instead....lol I know what you mean, just being a smart @$$. I still don't feel they are worth $60 because they aren't custom figures that are on the top of my list.


This is what I never understood about some collectors. They will spend big money on a custom, but freak out when they hear $30.00 for a JLU three pack or $50.00 for a YJ two pack. Or they are happy to hand over hundreds of dollars to an Asian Ebay seller for a unproduced prototype, only to complain about the figures once Mattel decides to produce them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:14 pm 
User avatar
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 304
batfink wrote:
This is what I never understood about some collectors. They will spend big money on a custom, but freak out when they hear $30.00 for a JLU three pack or $50.00 for a YJ two pack. Or they are happy to hand over hundreds of dollars to an Asian Ebay seller for a unproduced prototype, only to complain about the figures once Mattel decides to produce them.


I would have never bought any of those figures for 100's of dollars on ebay! Just sayin......

$30 is ridiculous for these last JLU 3 packs. Money is tight right now for most people. But I am still buying them because they are some figures that I really wanted. Mongul's episode FTMWHE, was one of my favorites. So I had to get him. I've had a black mercy with his name out it since it came with Superman. Toyman, Firefly, the future JLU. All must haves in my book. Not because they are JLU figures. But because they fill some of the voids in my STAS & BTAS collection which I have on display. If those characters weren't in the other toons, I wouldn't buy them. Because tell you the truth, I've really had it with Mattel & all the bs they pull/say. I'll complain about paying that $40, since it takes no where near that for Mattel to produce them, but I will still buy certain packs. Now these YJ figures? There isn't really anything that special about them for me to shell out $60 on them. Just my opinion. I don't care what lies Mattel spews out. There is no way in hell that it cost anywhere near that amount of money to make those two figures. They are just taking advantage of the collector here.

As for paying for a custom. I have never bought one yet, but I have bought casts of most of Casmir's sculpts. The whole custom scenario & comparing it to Mattel is apples & oranges. Customs.....One individual, just like you or I is taking his time & effort out of his evening to produce one figure that is requested. They could be taking hours out of their life to produce something you specifically requested. It's like they are making a piece of art just for you. It's not as easy just flipping a switch to " turn on the machines " in some huge factory to pop out 1000's of these things.

_________________
MATTEL JUST SUCKS!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 am 
User avatar
Resin
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 388
Clayface wrote:
As for paying for a custom. I have never bought one yet, but I have bought casts of most of Casmir's sculpts. The whole custom scenario & comparing it to Mattel is apples & oranges. Customs.....One individual, just like you or I is taking his time & effort out of his evening to produce one figure that is requested. They could be taking hours out of their life to produce something you specifically requested. It's like they are making a piece of art just for you. It's not as easy just flipping a switch to " turn on the machines " in some huge factory to pop out 1000's of these things.


This is exactly the logic I take issue with. Tell the Four Horsemen that their work is just a matter of "flipping a switch."

I make customs myself, and I don't consider the Mattel produced action figures I collect any less of a piece of art. That's why I collect them, because they are little works of art for me. Except the paint doesn't rub off. A Mattel employed sculptor makes the figure as well, and does not put any less effort into it. Sometimes, their bosses will make them do the figure over again. And again. Then a team of people, including graphic designers for the package, put in hours out of their life to get this figure produced for little old you and me. I don't think a switch gets flipped and an action figure magically appears at the store. An individual making a custom is being paid way more per figure than a Mattel employee.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:31 am 
User avatar
Joint Unfreezer
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 691
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
batfink wrote:
Except the paint doesn't rub off.

You must be referring to different JLU figures than the ones I collect. :lol:

_________________
"I'm a rageaholic!!! I'm addicted to rageahol!!!
-Homer Simpson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:22 am 
User avatar
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 304
batfink wrote:
This is exactly the logic I take issue with. Tell the Four Horsemen that their work is just a matter of "flipping a switch."

I make customs myself, and I don't consider the Mattel produced action figures I collect any less of a piece of art. That's why I collect them, because they are little works of art for me. Except the paint doesn't rub off. A Mattel employed sculptor makes the figure as well, and does not put any less effort into it. Sometimes, their bosses will make them do the figure over again. And again. Then a team of people, including graphic designers for the package, put in hours out of their life to get this figure produced for little old you and me. I don't think a switch gets flipped and an action figure magically appears at the store. An individual making a custom is being paid way more per figure than a Mattel employee.


Cool, give me the four horsemen's number so they can sculpt me a Killer Croc with Baby Doll from the TNBA! Didn't think so? lol

Listen I take nothing away from the four horsemen & what incredible talent they have. But...... when it's all said & done, they are getting paid by Mattel, Mattel makes the choices on what figures are sculpted, many of those choices wouldn't be what I wanted. Yes, to get the final product in my hands, all it was about is flipping a switch to turn the machines on. All the work was already done. Mattel themselves said it.

To clarify, I am not talking about Heman or any other figure line besides JLU. So you're point about the horsemen doesn't even adhere to this situation. Last I checked they didn't sculpt JLU? Also last I checked, Heman figures were $22. There's a lot more detail & plastic that goes into a Heman figure than a JLU. I bought 2 Gremlin figures over the weekend by Neca. They were $18 a piece, ( which went up from last years $15 ) But they are 6 inches tall & super detailed. Kind of made me think about what I got from Mattel in my last 3 pack for $40. Nowhere near the quality/value of what I got with these Gremlins. Just for the sake of argument, those Gremlins were cheaper than Heman figures on Matty. I believe they have much more detail then them also. Plus last I checked, Neca didn't produce things in huge numbers either. They are a smaller, specialty collector market.

Now onto what I was originally referring to, JLU.......

JLU as much as I liked collecting them, they are the most cheaply made figures in existence. Mattel pretty much uses the same 5 bucks. They are made out of the cheapest plastics & rubber on the planet. The paint has to be cheap, BECAUSE IT RUBS OF ON ANOTHER FIGURE. They have no articulation, are small & all the details are just painted on for the most part. If you really take a look at JLU figures, many aren't show accurate. Many of the sculpts leave a lot to be desired & the size of most of the figures is way off, due to Mattel going the cheap route & not wanting to make a different bucks. Bane, Atom Smasher, Amazo, etc..... Ok, I have no problem with that at the old prices. $9.99 a 3 pack & $5 a single. Which they were still making money with. It's when Mattel decided to make this a " collector line " that they started jacking up the prices. $9.99 a single & I think $24.99 a 3 pack. Then of course they blame us because they are not selling. Who the hell wants to pay $9.99 for a new figure that is this small, with no articulation & cheaply produced let alone a disco braniac? How about it's supposedly a " collector line " now, but Mattel continues to throw in one or two of the original 7 in the 3 packs just so we waste more money. At times, it was like spending $25 just for one new figure. No wonder Target didn't want to carry the line anymore. Even they could see the value of these cheaply produced figures didn't compare to the other figures they sold for the same price or even less. But yet most of the blame went to us, the collector for everything! That came right out of a representative of Mattel's keyboard. Now they " claim " are doing us a favor by producing these last 3 packs? No they are doing themselves a favor, so they can make the money back that they invested in the tooling & molds. Don't let them kid you. So yes I am paying the $40 for some of these last 3 packs. But that's just because it is finally over. There is no way I would continue to pay $40 for a 3 pack that has Batman/Wonder Woman & one new figure in it if that line continued.

_________________
MATTEL JUST SUCKS!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
User avatar
Resin
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 388
I'm in total agreement with you when you say these figures are way too expensive. Across the board, all action figure lines should be much cheaper, plain and simple. I'm just saying that there are special circumstances for lines that are cancelled, but have a few remaining figures that are already tooled.

If I was a die hard fan of the YJ figures, and I had paid over $30 for a custom figure before, I would stomach the price just to end the line properly. I am a completist when it comes to JLU, and am thankful that the remaining 3-packs were released. I would have paid more than $30 per three pack to get them, because I knew the line was ending. There would be no future investment beyond the last figures.

I, like many others, would prefer to have a figure produced by Mattel rather than a custom. They just fit into the line better. Even if I am unhappy with that figure, I always have the option to use the parts to make a better custom. For me personally, that makes the unproduced figures worth more. Sometimes you get things cheaper than expected, and sometimes you have to pay a bit more.

And yes, there are other talented sculptors at Mattel other than the Four Horsemen. I have many outstanding JLU figures to prove it. I was just using the 4H as an example. They still put in the work to make them. They are no less talented than someone who makes a custom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: YJ SB/MM pre sale prediction:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
User avatar
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 304
It seems we actually agree on a lot of things. Yes, all action figures are overpriced IMO. But I feel a lot better paying $40 for 2 huge Gremlin figures that look like there movie counterparts than paying that for 3 tiny JLU figures with duplicates in the pack. Cancelled line or not, they just aren't worth it.

I was a JLU completist. Lickily I found everything at retail including the 2 hard to find 6 packs & volcana's 3 pack. I had every figure besides STAS Aquaman which pissed me off. So I started looking around to obtain one. I was looking on ebay & somehow it led me to here. Then I started to realize how Mattel dropped the ball on distribution on many figures & some are so rare & scarce. I am still yet without a STAS Aquaman for my Superman display & it still pisses me off. Over the past year & 1/2, I pretty much watched the games Mattel played with all us collectors with these last figures. If these, sell out we can produce the last figures so by more of this junk. 7 pack & things did indeed sell out. Well it wasn't quick enough so you fans are just loud & not numerous the final packs are cancelled. Later..... Oh we could possibly produce those final packs if you would pay say $50 for them? No we can't do it, the polls show that you are loud & not numerous once again. Then the day that the announcement came like it was sent down from God that these packs will be produced & even with Firefly & Destiny! Because out of the goodness of our hearts we are doing this for the fans. Bullshit, they are doing it because they already had so much money invested in tooling & molds that they wanted to make some money back. It would have been a waste of money to let these things sit there. The only thing they really did for us was change Mongul's color. After all was said & done, this all left a bad taste in my mouth about Mattel & this line. So I decided to sell my Volcana on ebay since she was in such demand. I got $100 for her loose. Normally this would have drove me insane to have a piece of my collection missing. But it didn't. I felt like I was miraculously cured of an illness!!!! lol So I started selling some of the other tough pieces to find. All the 6 pack stuff is gone & so is Grundy. Now I would like to get rid of the rest. I realized that Mattel actually did kind of make me have a bad taste about these figures in general. So the only thing I will keep is my JLU that has to do with STAS & BTAS. What pisses me off even more? I still have yet to get a STAS Aquaman. Mattel sucks & all the problems along the way with this line made me sick! I had EVERY figure . But Mattel made me lose interest in them entirely with their bullshit. Maybe one day I will try to get them all again? But I highly doubt it.

I'm with you on the rather having a real produced figure than a custom. But when Mattel pathetically makes Bane smaller than Batman, I think there is a problem & had to get a cast of Casmir's sculpt. As much as Mattel did good for this line. They dropped the ball a lot with terrible sculpts, sizes wrong & just cheaply made figures. There are pluses & minuses to both sides. I display my JLU figures in the fridge, because if it gets warmer than 50 degrees the cheap PVC Mattel used starts to melt! lol The casts that Stew made are standing tall still.

Here's the problem with the YJ figures. To me those are just not figures that I must have that I will pay $60 for them. Honestly, if Mattel made a TNBA Killer Croc with Baby Doll & charged $30 for it, I would be on board. I proved that by paying $40 for basically just Mongul. Why? Because I want them. These YJ figures I just don't want bad enough to pay that much for them. That's where Mattel know they have us, the collector. If they make something that we want bad enough, they know we will pay outrageous prices no matter what. It's just hit or miss to them if they presell the right characters or not that enough of us want. So yeah, Mattel is taking advantage of the collector by charging over inflated prices because they are relying on the fact that we must have it. Shady to say the least in my opinion. But I'm guilty of paying these prices too because I want certain figures.

I know I'm bringing up a lot from the past. But I was a lurker on this forums for a couple years & never really has an opportunity to voice my opinion until I signed up recently

_________________
MATTEL JUST SUCKS!!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.032s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]