Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel -- QUALITY CONTROL on Masters and DC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:54 am 
Resin

I've been wanting to address this for a while, but I also decided to wait until it was confirmed that the lines would continue into 2013. I didn't want to jinx anything, and if, God forbid, they weren't, then there would've been little point.

Let me start off by saying that I firmly believe that Masters of the Universe Classics and the DC Universe Signature Series are the two most impressive action figure lines presently being made available to collectors.

The only downside to them is that I've never been fond of having to mail-order my toys. Books, DVD's, that sort of thing, no problem. Toys -- you never really know what you're going to get until it shows up, and we all know that there can be problems. I prefer to see a toy before I actually buy it. But, in these cases, there is no choice, so...

That being said, I've been encountering a growing number of quality control issues that I feel Mattel seriously needs to deal with. These toys are not inexpensive, and they're being directed at adult collectors, who generally tend to be a lot pickier than kids when it comes to their action figures.

MOLD CREASES - This is my name for what happens when the plastic is not sufficiently liquified or whatever before it's injected into the mold, and as such creases in the finished plastic tend to remain -- and depending on where those creases appear, it can be pretty ugly business, especially if it's on someone's face. This has been a growing problem lately. If you've got a Rocket Red, then you know what I'm talking about. Look at that silver visor -- all the creases and lines in it. Those shouldn't be there. I've also encountered it on the heads for Mirror Master and Cy-Chop.

Mattel isn't the only company that's been guilty of this over the years. Hasbro went through it with their G.I. Joe figures around 2004 or so. I really don't know why it happens, but I would think it's not that tough a fix.

ASSEMBLY ISSUES - There's a whole thread on here about problems people have faced with Elasti-Girl, and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Some have had broken arms right in the package, at the same spot, too -- left upper arm swivel. Mine isn't broken, but it's troublingly loose. So's her right leg at the hip. Now, admittedly, sometimes the flip side of that coin can happen, where a part will be outright STUCK and almost impossible to free. I realize this is a mass production environment, but is consistency that hard to achieve? Especially when multiple figures, like the Elasti-Girl arm situation, all have the same problem?

PAINT ISSUES - This is the one I've encountered the least, thankfully, but it does happen. My Poison Ivy figure has one eye that looks like she's trying to squint or something. It doesn't throw her off that much, but really, this sort of thing shouldn't be happening.

I understand the difficulties. These toys are mass produced on doubtless a very tight timetable. And -- nobody's perfect. However, given the intended audience for these action figures, and the cost of them, I think that these matters need to be addressed by Mattel to their factories, because I know that a higher level of quality than this is certainly achievable. The overall track record of these lines is proof enough of that. Masters of the Universe and DC Universe deserve the highest quality and attention possible -- and so do we who are buying them.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Mattel -- QUALITY CONTROL on Masters and DC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:51 pm 
Cold-cast

Good Luck on this, mattel's price on toys has done nothing but go up over the years & the quality has done nothing but go down. Many in the past have stated these same complaints & more. mattel could care less, especially about you " collectors "

You are loud, but not numerous! "

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:10 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

To be fair, I think Mattel cares about the quality. It's just that they have to weigh their priorities as a business.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Collector Inspector

I am not one who nit-pics about toys and issues with them. Having said that I finally received my Elasti-girl and I love it. But now I hate my Negative-man. I never realised how off his colors are on his uniform. and it's driving me nuts. Oh that and I still don't have a Mento or Dr. Niles Caulder. Oh well. Now if I could only find my damned Beast boy figure....