Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DCIE 2 packs once every 4 months ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:57 am 
Variant Head

I mean would this not be a great idea ? I know Mattel says they dont sell well enough but add them to the sub and make a few of the packs I suggested and I think it would be a great value to the sub. I mean the packs I am suggesting fill some gaps in DCUC and dont require crazy tooling.

Fire and Ice (not much tooling and call the pack JLI)

White Lantern Aquaman and Mera (Aquaman is very little tooling and Mera is a big want for fans of BN / BD )

The Chief and Doc Magnus ( Not too much tooling and the wheelchair could be reused for Oracle)

Bloodwynd and yellow Ring Guy Gardner (Again not a huge amount of tooling here)

SC Amon Sur and BL Abin Sur ( Again not much tooling at all)

Post subject: Re: DCIE 2 packs once every 4 months ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:43 pm 
Collector Inspector

I like the idea. I'm curious to see if some subscribers would value two "lower tooling" figures over having a luxurious oversize figure in order to fill out their collections. DCIE is already starting to look like a subscription for heads. New heads on old re-painted bodies. I actually made a SC Amon Sur myself with a Golden Pharaoh head. That's pretty easy for my basic skills.

Sadly, Mattel's possible knee-jerk reaction will be to bring up the the old 2-packs and the Young Justice 2-pack and say nuh-uh, but they would be wrong if they did.

I think some 2-packs that would be well-received would be:

Fire/Ice
Chief/Mento
Oracle/Spoiler
Mera/Aqualad
Indigo-1/Arisia
Weather Wizard/Shade

I think you could make a classic Shade with Gentleman Ghost's body. Maybe, I think. I could be wrong. Some of these would be more work, like Spoiler, obviously. I sure would like a Spoiler with a masked head and an unmasked head. Some would be pretty easy like Mento and Weather Wizard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:35 pm 
An Insider

I already talked to Scott about this at NYCC. It's too late to do this for the 2013 Club IE because the initial deposit money has already been collected, and not enough people joined to meet the 2nd tier goal to allow for projects like this.

I believe that next year when people join the Club IE for 2014, if the 2nd tier goal is met, then something like this may be possible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:43 am 
MINT!

Cool idea...maybe twice a year year and not 4 time though. Some ideas

Fire/Ice (really simple retools with minimal new parts)

Johnny Thunder/ T-Bolt (Suited body new head/bow tie for Johnny---T-bolt new head and lower body, maybe new forearms)

Bumble and Mal (if you do Mal in his jump suit just reuse Brainiac 5 body with new head, Karen really only needs a new head and wings on the female buck)

Star-Spangled Kid and Stripesy (easy redo for both classics versions)

Robin and Huntress (Earth 2/JSA versions----easy redo for both now that we're getting a semi modern Huntress)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:20 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Yeah, there are some obvious two-pack ideas that would fly off the shelves that they're completely ignoring, saying they won't sell. Nonsense - I'm definitely down for a Chief/Will Magnus set!

Also - and not to derail the thread - but someone on one of the recent monthly Matty Q&A's had a great suggestion: to do a pre-sale meter on oversized figures. Matty shot it down, saying that's what tier 2 on the 2013 sub was meant for, but I don't think they get it. A pre-sale Granny Goodness, for example, would definitely go through. A pre-sale Shaggy Man? Maybe not so much.

Although I'd buy it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 am 
Resin

I'll take DCUC however they want to give them to us.

But an Aquaman/Kyle Rayner set would make me do backflips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 am 
shirtless hugger

I love this idea, but I feel like the only 'slam dunk' (using that term loosely) for a two-pack is Fire & Ice. Mera & Aqualad is a really good idea, too, as it would give us a highly fan-demanded character and help fill out a family, though it would leave Tula out in the cold, which would be a shame. Perhaps Mera & Tula could be in one set, and Aqualad and Speedy in another.

And I agree that every 4 months might be too much, but twice a year could be perfect, maybe with a third set as the club exclusive.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:05 am 
shirtless hugger

BeeDub wrote:

How about Kyle Rayner & Parallax Hal Jordan?

Hook-hand Aquaman & Ocean Master?

Some 'arch-enemies' sets could work really well, and might even appeal to the casual customer.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 am 
declined to be a vampire

Joe G. wrote:
BeeDub wrote:

Some 'arch-enemies' sets could work really well, and might even appeal to the casual customer.

I'd be happy with any of those. Although of the few DC Direct Figures I have left, I love their Parallax figure.

But yeah, I'd be down with both of those two packs.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 am 
Variant Head

Would I love a 90s Aquaman and Kyle pack YES but the packs I suggested are far more within Mattels ability to make. I tried to stick with very low tooling and maybe 1 repaint and a heavy tooled figure. 2 figures that need lots of tooling would just kill this idea altogether I mean look at the sub its not ver impressive as far as tooling goes. Heck Rita did not even have rocker ankles!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm 
Resin

IDK, Aquaman is probably a little higher in tooling (upper legs, arms, hands, chest, head), but Kyle isn't too bad, new head, forearms and hands (boots could be reused from the Red Lanterns).

Joe G. wrote:
BeeDub wrote:

That works for me too! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Ras Al Ghul and Talia.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 am 
Variant Head

ice_018 wrote:
Ras Al Ghul and Talia.

See that is one that could work I think its the right amount of tooling.See I think Mattel really should have done something like 6 figures plus one oversized 2 times a year,kinanda like 2 waves a year. I no longer collect every figure only Bats,Supes and Flash figures but when I did I LOVED getting wierd mixed waves. I miss the awesome days of picking up the complete wave 3 all shipped at once in one box getting home ripping them all open making the build a figure and looking at how diverse my collection was getting. I did not mind buying figures like Khamandi cause I also got Alan Scott, Zatanna and Gold in that wave. I did not mind Omac cause I got Raven ,MM and even Jemm in that wave. But it is a whole lot eaiser to pass on single figures these days with the price and then shipping. But I honestly think they need to explore the 2 packs again. I mean 3 a year would be perfect but alas I think DCIE is doomed....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Mera/Hook Aquaman
Aqualad/Ocean Master
Fire/Ice
Proper Tim Drake Robin/Spoiler

And yes, I know some of those are pipe dreams. :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:52 pm 
Variant Head

Heres another great cheap but we needed 2 pack-

Donna Troy starfield costume and Beast Boy in white / red both simple repaints.