Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Young Justice Nightwing and ??
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:10 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Is there ANY possibility of a Young Justice: Invasion Nightwing or any of the other new characters? Maybe as a pre-order 2 pack? I understand the Superboy/Ms. Martian didn't make it, but I believe those characters might not have been as popular as Nightwing, hence the low turnout.

With such a drastic change in character designs from YJ to YJI, I think we all would have supported it more had we known what was down the road. Hindsight being 20/20. Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin being so popular I can imagine a pre-sale of a two or three pack would reach the goal quickly. I think we would love 6" but either scale would be appreciated!

There have been spy photos of protoypes (or were they fakes?) of YJI figures - or at least the boxes- showing new robin, lagoon boy, batgirl. Are there any of these that went to sculpt but not to figure?

Or is it possible to re-tool the 6" Red Arrow figure or a mix of RA and maybe Superboy into a Nightwing for a Batman/Nightwing 6" two pack??

Or a 4" retooled/repainted Red arrow - as Nightwing with a retooled/repainted Black Canary-into Zatanna for a two pack?

YJI is such a kick-ass cartoon and that Nightwing is the best design ever. We need some YJI love! My Hall of Justice needs Nightwing!!!

Post subject: Re: Young Justice Nightwing and ??
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 pm 
Collector Inspector

Mattel would offer the previewed/unreleased figures first. And seeing how a some of them haven't even popped up on ebat as prototypes, I doubt we'll see any new ones. Hell, the comic book just got canceled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

IT DID? :shock:

Well, that sucks. :evil:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

And that surprises you how?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 am 

I enjoyed the book, especially how it filled in the gaps of the show.

It was the first cartoon tie-in book I ever bought and I'm sad to see it go.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 am 

Ah, usually they never last. I suspect Green Lantern will be up for cancellation soon enough.
Both the Superman and the Batman animated series comics in the 90s fared very well. Batman even saw multiple incarnations over time. But even X-Men Animated or Spider-Man the animated series books didn't last. However they started out as actual episode adaptions before morphing into their own monster before the end.

The only two animated tie-in books I can think of which have lasted longest are Transformers and GI Joe. And Transformers was launched as a comic a lil before the cartoon and right before the toys and quickly by Issues 3 became its own monster and even went from limited series to monthly series. Same with GI Joe, however that didn't start as a mini-series but was hugely popular even in the beginning of the initial comic run and spawned a spin off book and a reprint book.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 pm 

Yeah, I know.

It's just one more nail in the Young Justice coffin.

I was REALLY hoping for a third season. :(

Now I wondering if I'll see the end of this season. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Van Statten wrote:
Ah, usually they never last. I suspect Green Lantern will be up for cancellation soon enough.
Both the Superman and the Batman animated series comics in the 90s fared very well. Batman even saw multiple incarnations over time. But even X-Men Animated or Spider-Man the animated series books didn't last. However they started out as actual episode adaptions before morphing into their own monster before the end.

I mean some series did go almost 5 years- so is that long for a comic book? -- thats a whole other argument--

Although I guess that does usually mean the death knell of a animated series- which does not make me happy.. And it seems like DC comics just keeps shutting them down sooner and sooner.

Batman (between Batman Adventures, Batman and Robin Adventures, The New Batman Adventures and Gotham Adventures (plus the one shots)-- went around 125 Issues

Superman TAS- went around 60

JLU (between JL Adventures and JLU)- made it to around 55-- Same with the Batman and Teen Titans Go

Brave and the Bold made it (between both volumes-- around 42 Issues

now Young Justice cant even get to 26...

Id also argue the GI JOE point- as it was more in line with the Toys than the Cartoon-- I think it was out before the cartoon- and extended way past it -- since it did run 155 Issues and none of the storylines tied to the cartoon whatsoever-- there was no real Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Stalker Vietnam connection, Scarlet was closer to Duke, and Zartan had no connection to others, plus multiple joes were killed off to make way for replacement characters,, Doc for Lifeline and Stretcher, Quick Kick for the new ninjas etc..

THe Marvel comic had as much to do with the cartoon as the ASM had to do with any of the spiderman cartoons, they may have shared some commonalities-- but the models and characters were completly different..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:07 am 

That's nice Stew..

Five years is a decent time in the comic realm but really what's it matter if the book achieves nothing? Sorry I just think wasting time publishing these wastes of shelf space doesn't add to anything in the greater scheme of things. I try and keep one ordered every month but I usually end up giving it away to some younger kid of a customer or something along those lines. They never except for a select few. They start well in sales but it never carries for any real length of time.

You said it yourself, they had to keep re branding the damn Batman book for whatever reason.

They certainly don't make money or else... heh... they wouldn't end up canceled.

Animated books are a waste of time and being surprised one ends shouldn't be a shock. Is all I'm saying.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:39 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Animated books are a waste of time

Really? I think many of them are some of the better books published by Marvel or DC. The animated Batman Adventures was stellar, and even won an Eisner, I think.

Stylistically, I think the limitations of done-in-one storytelling are frequently beneficial to a lot of the comic writers around today, most of whom need the crap edited out of them, and nobody's doing it at either DC or Marvel. It forces them to tell streamlined stories and FOCUS, instead of meandering along to fill six issues for a trade. Heck, Millar's Superman Adventures was better than 90% of everything he's churned out since then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 pm 

Well Bryan sales just show you otherwise or they wouldn't get the axe. Contrary to popular belief the comic companies only axe titles that don't make sales. Good or not no one of any significant number buys or cares for them so yeah they take up wasted space. I must do a show every Sunday just about... up and down the local East Coast area where I live save for December and January months for the last ten years and never once have I or anyone I know have ever been asked for one. Like I said, they usually are given to kids who pop in the shop with their parents. Those or a Jim Lee X-Men 1 Cover E gate fold. I have a gazillion, want one? :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 pm 
Collector Inspector

I would say that the Young Justice animated book is a far more enjoyable read than the latest attempt at the mainstream Teen Titans.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm 

tuning4k wrote:
I would say that the Young Justice animated book is a far more enjoyable read than the latest attempt at the mainstream Teen Titans.

If you mean the Nu 52.. I could probably comp to that. That book is just bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 pm 
Collector Inspector

Indeed I do. I think they had FINALLY come back from a dark time and lack of direction and were FINALLY on to something good... when Flashest Night, er, Flashpoint came along and gave us this new trainwreck of a book with the all"badass" and "edgier" Tron Titans that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 pm 

Oh I love how they crapped on Cassie... -ugh-