Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Uncle Sam and Constantine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:30 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I think trying to start a new group is a good thing. That means they feel good enough that things will continue down the line. Perhaps that's too much positive thinking on my part, but why not think that way.

But in any case, it's a unique figure to the line. I can't really see how people can view it as a wasted slot. You can probably make that argument for most of the figures.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Ham Salad wrote:
Did you actually read the other comments? The only people who posted before you were Captain Collector, Van Statten and me, and none of us said the paint was bad. I mentioned that a star was misprinted on mine, but said nothing about wishing to replace the figure. No one was agreeing or disagreeing with Donster.

I took Van Statten's post about it sucking that the in package product has bad paint apps as agreeing with the original comment that there is something specifically wrong. You mentioned that yours was fine, which I took as passive acknowledgment that yours is in better condition than his... which would indicate you agree that there is something wrong with his. I never said that you thought his deserved to be replaced, but my first thought when I saw his picture was "really? replacement?", and no one else was saying anything... again, which I interpreted to be passive agreement.

So, yes, I did actually read the other comments. Maybe I read too much between the lines, though I honestly don't understand why you couldn't just answer my question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:12 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

starks wrote:
But in any case, it's a unique figure to the line. I can't really see how people can view it as a wasted slot. You can probably make that argument for most of the figures.

Of course I can't count how many people slammed the inclusion of Constantine in this line. Myself, I loved it! A bit disappointing the execution of the figure. The scared version, the lack of any occult accessories or any at that. But still a very aggressive figure selection in my opinion. Also showing just how fringe they are willing to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:39 pm 
shirtless hugger

Backward Galaxy, The Donster directly asked me about my paint job, which is the only reason I mentioned it.

And to answer your question: If I had received the figure that The Donster got, I wouldn't bother myself with trying to exchange it. I certainly don't blame him for wanting to try, though, since this is a collector's line, and these are supposedly premium figures. (See my previous post.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 pm 
shirtless hugger

I received my shipment today. Two Constantines and two Uncle Sams. Strangest thing, though...they look just like two Dekkers and two King Randors.

Sigh.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:39 pm 
5" Scale

Call DR up and get it straightened out and make sure they send your replacements first Joe. I received my shipping notice for my replacement and the return label this evening. Not sure if the replacement will go out before the holidays, but at least I know it is on the way. Fingers crossed everything is good this go round too. Once I receive it I'll send back the defective one once I receive it. Stark, I'd love to share your optimism, but I have to wonder if Matty can pull off a 3rd year of blind subs? Like you, I like them starting a group. I just want to make sure that they get finished. I mean who do we have left from the original team? Black Condor, Dollman(If they do a life size version), The Human Bomb, Phantom Lady and Ray(?). That's the team I remember and I'd love to see them. Still, I have to wonder if Matty is going to gamble on another year of subs or go with a vote or month to month? Like Van, I love both Constantine and Uncle Sam as character selections. Sorry for this thread turning into such a Donny Downer. That wasn't the intent originally and most anyone who knows me knows that I'm usually not this way. I'm usually on the side of reason. I'll post some more positive pictures of Sam once I receive him :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Human Bomb and the Ray would find space on my shelf!

So would Phantom Lady IF . . . they did a better job on her than they did with Starfire. :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 am 
categorically opposed

Received them earlier in the week.

Constantine is well done, but he's visually boring. No way would he have flown at retail.

Uncle Sam is pretty much perfect. The white they used is fine, so I'm not sure where all the complaints about it are coming from. Doll Man can't stand on his own without me devoting serious time to it - but they'll all be packed away soon enough, so I don't care.

Overall, pretty pleased, but my interest is waning. I'll be all-in until they stop with this style, since I've come this far...and I'll be beyond happy when I finally get my Huntress...but one super obscure figure a month doesn't have that much appeal to me any longer.

Thank God there's so much goodness at retail! Oh, wait. No, I'll be buying Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and the Super Powers Penguin at retail so far next year, and that's it. Money in the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Figures like Uncle Sam and Constantine are fine and it's clear they have their fans, but I really think if the sub is to survive Mattel really need to go back to the classics theme, and work from a fan based poll that gets the most wanted characters out to the fans committing to a sub. We should be allowed to choose who we want the most and have those choices confirmed before the next sub goes forward. By doing that you maximise your pool of buyers, as people know what they'll be missing if they don't commit to purchasing a sub.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:17 am 
Fugitive Dust

I would love a 90's Ray. That figure is actually one I'm hoping gets made. The original Ray would seem to be an easy figure to do. Almost just a repaint of the Citizen Steel figure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:21 am 
Fugitive Dust

Van Statten wrote:
starks wrote:

Of course I can't count how many people slammed the inclusion of Constantine in this line. Myself, I loved it! A bit disappointing the execution of the figure. The scared version, the lack of any occult accessories or any at that. But still a very aggressive figure selection in my opinion. Also showing just how fringe they are willing to go.

I'm not a big fan, although I'll try his new comic when it comes out. It's not a figure I was looking forward to. I understand why it's in there however, so in that respect I don't have a huge problem with it. Just a "meh" response from me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 am 
Fugitive Dust

elvis8batman wrote:
Figures like Uncle Sam and Constantine are fine and it's clear they have their fans, but I really think if the sub is to survive Mattel really need to go back to the classics theme, and work from a fan based poll that gets the most wanted characters out to the fans committing to a sub. We should be allowed to choose who we want the most and have those choices confirmed before the next sub goes forward. By doing that you maximise your pool of buyers, as people know what they'll be missing if they don't commit to purchasing a sub.

What's not classic about Uncle Sam though?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:25 am 
Fugitive Dust

MoMoney wrote:
Received them earlier in the week.
Uncle Sam is pretty much perfect. The white they used is fine, so I'm not sure where all the complaints about it are coming from. Doll Man can't stand on his own without me devoting serious time to it - but they'll all be packed away soon enough, so I don't care.

That's interesting. My Doll Man stands quite easily.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

starks wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:

What's not classic about Uncle Sam though?

I wasn't saying he isn't classic, just that he may not be at the top of most lists for people looking at their collections.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 am 
Collector Inspector

Read my auto-signature and bring me more Freedom Fighters!