Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Uncle Sam and Constantine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:17 pm 
5" Scale

OK, I didn't see a thread devoted to these guys and thought I would start one. I'll apologize for starting it out on such a low note. I've never read Constantine, but I've always loved The Freedom Fighters as a kid. So I was a little disappointed when I received my Uncle Sam and the paint on the legs was a bit on the splotchy side. So it looks like I'll be on the phone with DR again to try and get a replacement. My question before I do that and have to do the song and dance with them is how was yours? Oh well, I had a pretty good run up until last month. I guess I shouldn't complain :)

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Uncle Sam and Constantine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I think this sucks when ones out of China have better paint jobs than any you find packaged like with Metron.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
5" Scale

Another shot of Constantine to cut down on the big hands perspective. I think that's my frustration Van. I'm paying a premium price and not receiving what I've paid for in the quality of paint. Now if I want him replaced I have to go through hoops and ladders :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
shirtless hugger

Here are mine:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 am 
5" Scale

I take it you didn't have a similar experience with Uncle Sam Ham Salad? Yours looks pretty good compared to mine. Getting ready to call DR, wish me luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:10 pm 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Mine are lost in the mail :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Captain Collector wrote:
Mine are lost in the mail :(

They got caught up in a shop lifting mishap in Alabama... my cousin Vinny will have them out soon, Cap!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:33 pm 
shirtless hugger

The_Donster wrote:
I take it you didn't have a similar experience with Uncle Sam Ham Salad? Yours looks pretty good compared to mine. Getting ready to call DR, wish me luck.

The paint on my Uncle Sam is fine. No splotchiness or anything. The only issue with it has is the center star on his hat is printed too high on the hat band (you can see it in the pic).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:06 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

People really consider the paint job on that figure to be so bad that it needs to be replaced? Looks fine to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm 
5" Scale

Backward Galaxy wrote:
People really consider the paint job on that figure to be so bad that it needs to be replaced? Looks fine to me.

If by people you mean me? Then yes, I do feel it needs to be replaced for the reasons I've already posted. I actually plan to display him and it is going to show when I do. My wife actually pointed it out to me. Hopefully this isn't a common issue. I called DR and will have to see if I need to call back after the holidays. I didn't take to a supervisor this time around. Good luck with finding your figures CC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:47 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

The_Donster wrote:
Backward Galaxy wrote:

If by people you mean me? Then yes, I do feel it needs to be replaced for the reasons I've already posted. I actually plan to display him and it is going to show when I do. My wife actually pointed it out to me. Hopefully this isn't a common issue. I called DR and will have to see if I need to call back after the holidays. I didn't take to a supervisor this time around. Good luck with finding your figures CC.

You were included in my comment, as you are people, but no, I didn't mean just you, because several others posted in this thread, and they generally seem to agree with you. So, my question was addressed to multiple persons, thus people.

And I'm not being judgmental either (not saying you thought I was, even if you did). I honestly would not see what you currently own as something that would require replacement. So, I'm asking the question... does everyone really think that's so bad?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 am 
ABS

I don't think it's so bad either. My Uncle Sam has a little splotchiness in the leg/crotch area, but it's not enough for me to get a replacement. It's really miniscule if you ask me and comes off a little nitpicky. But if anyone wants to go thru all of that, then that's their prerogative.

I'm not a fan of the Constantine figure, but it is what it is. If Mattel wants to do a Commissioner Gordon figure, they basically have one right there. Just needs a new head. I wouldn't be shocked if we get one in the sub next year.

I really like the Uncle Sam figure though. It's a very unique looking character, something that I hope to get when buying the sub each year. And I really like the fact that Dollman actually stands. It's a little odd that he didn't get a mention on the back though.

Overall, I'm happy with this month's offerings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

My Uncle Sam's hat rides too high on his head. On one side I can actually see a gap! :(

Any ideas for a quick fix?

Leg paint was fine BTW.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:21 am 
shirtless hugger

Backward Galaxy wrote:
You were included in my comment, as you are people, but no, I didn't mean just you, because several others posted in this thread, and they generally seem to agree with you. So, my question was addressed to multiple persons, thus people.

Did you actually read the other comments? The only people who posted before you were Captain Collector, Van Statten and me, and none of us said the paint was bad. I mentioned that a star was misprinted on mine, but said nothing about wishing to replace the figure. No one was agreeing or disagreeing with Donster.

Bad paint has been a problem with these subscription figures, and given the premium we're paying for them, I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting a flawless figure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 am 
5" Scale

Thanks Ham. I thought I was being a little cranky, but you cleared that up. Moving things in a more positive direction. Has anyone received their figures. Thoughts? I kind of dig these, but I know I'm in the minority and I do worry that we won't have a complete Freedom Fighter team. I kind of wish Matty would get away from groups. I'm not sure a sub is the right place to try and wrap them up, as some feel that waste a slot for whatever figure they'd love to see in the line up. I'm kind of on the fence on that one though.