Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Adam West/1966 Batman line thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 am 
Cold-cast

This is why there should be a Batman sub or a regular scale MM sub. You could easily have a '66 Batgirl one month, a DKR Talia Al Ghul the next, Keaton Batman (normal scale), Nicholson, Etc. There are just so many options when you are dealing with DC film history or Batman figures we never received.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 am 
Aspires to be #1

batfink wrote:
This is why there should be a Batman sub or a regular scale MM sub. You could easily have a '66 Batgirl one month, a DKR Talia Al Ghul the next, Keaton Batman (normal scale), Nicholson, Etc. There are just so many options when you are dealing with DC film history or Batman figures we never received.

And how many people do you expect are out there that collect all these different lines and styles and characters? No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:06 am 
serves the Otter

Apparently you missed Mattel's recent Q&A where they stated everything coming out this year is ALL they plan to make for this line. So essentially the line is cancelled. It was a "one and done" line, put to an end before it even had a chance to prove itself with retail sales. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

We were told at Comcon it could very well continue, but major retailers didn't order much. I'm actually glad there's only two waves I'll get just about every one I want, and if there's more online or at Comcon, I'm in!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 am 

batfink wrote:

I think this is actually a great idea! However, Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) held up he likeness right for a huge sum, so I wouldn't count on her anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 am 

batfink wrote:

I think this is actually a great idea! However, Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) held up he likeness right for a huge sum, so I wouldn't count on her anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:24 am 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:
batfink wrote:

And how many people do you expect are out there that collect all these different lines and styles and characters? No thanks.

I don't know. If there was a correct-scale Movie Masters sub that promised that it would produce a MM Chris Reeve, Keaton Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Dick Durock Swamp Thing, Yvonne Craig Batgirl, George Reeves Superman, John Wesley Shipp Flash, Tom Welling Clark Kent...the list goes on and on. Maybe the likeness rights are too expensive to get all of those guys into one sub, but Mattel should start thinking creatively about the DC product they are offering. The DCUC sub, in my opinion, was mediocre at best. Not enough to get the majority of fans excited.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:32 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

You'd have the same problem as we did with the DCIE sub.
I'd want Lynda Carter and Yvonne Craig, but could care less about the others you've mentioned.
Somebody else would want Dean Cain and Tom Welling but won't want either of the Reeves.
They might be better off with a "Superman through the Years" or "Batman through the Years" sub. I don't see a catch all sub working because DC fans are fragmented, usually along character lines.

Hell, I'd take a Mercy Reef line, but I'd be just about the only one.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:37 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

batfink wrote:
I don't know. If there was a correct-scale Movie Masters sub that promised that it would produce a MM Chris Reeve, Keaton Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Dick Durock Swamp Thing, Yvonne Craig Batgirl, George Reeves Superman, John Wesley Shipp Flash, Tom Welling Clark Kent...the list goes on and on. Maybe the likeness rights are too expensive to get all of those guys into one sub, but Mattel should start thinking creatively about the DC product they are offering. The DCUC sub, in my opinion, was mediocre at best. Not enough to get the majority of fans excited.

Not to sound obnoxious-- but you think your list is? That would pretty much drive me away from the line even farther-- I think Movie/Show figures (concerning original comic properties)- are the second biggest bane of the action world (Articulated ankles being the first)--
Really- a George Reeves superman--who would want that, I know some of those others may have some support on this site, but I think that would be a humungous disaster-- and if they couldnt get the rights to Yvonne Craig-- what are the odds they get anyone else as they move up the list..

How many good figures have we been denied- because they think we should want the live action version of characters-- which are usually off model slighty (which is enough to make them look bad)- sculpting a comic book generic look is simple and movie look figures are usually an abomination (well unless you are hot toys)-- and are almost always flash in the pan figure properties- that no one cares about 5 years from now.. Look at Green Lantern, or Wolverine or Thor.. although the exposure of those characters to the general public makes the chance of getting odd character figures made-- how many figures were put out where we want/prefer the comic versions of those characters and we will never get a chance at some of those again (Warriors Three for example)..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
Hell, I'd take a Mercy Reef line, but I'd be just about the only one.

I dont even think the actors who were in it would buy that line.. :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ouch. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am 
Cold-cast

Stewbacca, I get your point, less reliance on movies and TV. But this giant thread we are posting on is devoted to fans of the live action Batman TV series from 1966. The George Reeves Superman show is still beloved to many of those same fans and ran for six years, while 1966 Batman only ran for three.

Fans do want Movie Masters versions of their favorite DC shows and movies, I'm guessing more than "Fire" or "Ice". The MM line has been a really great success and why not capitalize? If Mattel announced the line up beforehand, and promised hit all of the major classic characters that we really would love to see (Reeve, Keaton, Nicholson, Carter), I think a sub like this would be a huge success. You would bring in fans from each film's fan base. This way, Mattel does not have to commit to the "one and done" approach they did with the 1966 Batman line.

Why Mattel messed with the scale of an already successful Movie Masters line is beyond me. But isn't Mattycollector.com the place to fix that kind of stuff?

And yes, it is a bummer that people won't buy more 3rd string characters. That's probably why the last ditch effort to throw Damian in there. It's time to add a little more Bats and Supes in the future subs to get the numbers up again. Then they can sprinkle in the 3rd stringers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Personally, I'd be okay with a non-likeness featuring the movie/show-style costumes only. (Generic WW face, L. Carter style costume, etc.) Don't get me wrong - I'm really enjoying the Batman '66 line and it looks like I'm pretty much all-in with it, which I didn't expect to be. But if they'd done one or two of these as variants per wave in DCUC, I would have been pretty excited about that, as well.

It just goes to show, though, that what gets Collector A excited is very different than what gets Collector B excited.

Except for Power Pack. EVERYONE wants Power Pack.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am 
Brand Manager

batfink wrote:

I would buy 20 of each figure if it's needed to assure a Movie Masters Classics Club ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Fans of movie masters? Are they the ones who won't buy the kajillion (approximate number) MM figures that TRU ends up selling in a BOGT (buy one get ten) sale after every movie? For once, I actually agree with Stew...can't stand movie figures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 45  Next