Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU interviews?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Over all an interesting read but I do disagree. The main hubs of traffic continue to flourish. Gallifrey Base and as someone stated the Fwoosh continue to thrive. But AFI was never that big or so it seemed when I arrived. I looked at the first two as the big city of forums and this one like a small Massachusetts town in Arkham Country.

I have no doubt if Julius says they're coming that they are... people just get busy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:06 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Ham Salad wrote:
2007 crash crowd represent!

Here, here! Lol

Ham Salad wrote:
My focus has always been the DCAU (before that term was even coined), so I look forward to these JLU interviews that are in the works.

Same here. I'm looking forward to these because ever since JLU ended I felt a big loss of interest in going online. Luckly customs have kept me in the game. Now that DCUC will be done this year I don't see this doing well for my online habits. On a similar note, since JLU ended I've noticed that I'm regularly disappointed in convention reveals because there's just nothing to look forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:42 am 
Cold-cast

Van Statten wrote:

I have no doubt if Julius says they're coming that they are... people just get busy.

Yes in the meantime you can read the brand new interview about the Watchmen figures, which have always been a hot topic around here. :roll:

Topic locked and deleted in 5...4...3...2...1...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:17 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

I dug the Watchmen interview (Julius does some of the best interviews out there, period). It's really timely, too, since the line just shipped its final piece last week. JLU isn't as pressing, as the line died off some time ago. I'm sure they'll be fascinating and insightful when they get assembled & posted, but SD Comics is correct, hounding Julius, who is an insanely busy man (trust me, I know), won't make it happen any faster.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:43 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Ham Salad wrote:

:oops:

We should get challenge coins or buttons or something... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Hey, I started a thing!

:mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:20 pm 
Displays Backwards

Shellhead wrote:
Yeah, the site really hasn't been the same since JLU ended.

I wonder if DCUC's demise will continue the slide?

I find it ironic that my favorite toy site is so dependent on the health of the DC toy lines when I'm primarily interested in everything else. :?

JLU is what brought me here in the first place. Now that it's dead, and most of Mattel's DC stuff is dead, this place is not hopping and popping.

Hasbro has some good stuff, but it's not exactly setting the world on fire, either.

I don't know anything about message boards dying, though. The mindless world of Twitter and Instagram and the like scares me - are we heading toward a society of vapid morons? I think someday I'm going to actually miss internet trolls - at least they tried.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:25 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Shellhead wrote:
My hypothesis is a combination of the demise of many significant DC-related lines and the New52, which seems to have seriously divided the DC faithful. AFI was a DC focused site (just compare the Mattel forum to everything else), and apparently DC interest/retail presence is currently on the wane.

THIS.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:17 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Ham Salad wrote:

Anyway, I followed Julius here from AFTimes (and his old "Amazing Justice League of Julius Marx" column), because he covered the various animated DC lines better than I'd seen online at the time. My focus has always been the DCAU (before that term was even coined), so I look forward to these JLU interviews that are in the works.

Same here, I remember going to AFTimes only because of Julius' column, he is awesome. Even if we don't get these interviews, IMO He and the AFI crew saved JLU, without this site (which I think was pretty darn big)... we wouldn't have gotten the characters we did in JLU. We were loud enough to get those figures... if this site and the great people behind didn't exist, we wouldn't have had a microphone to make out our loud call to Mattel for more JLU figures... Nor would we have had Mr. Marx to help in getting our voices heard at all. :)

my rant moment is over, lol ... you rock AFI team!!! 8)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:00 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Dusty wrote:
Ham Salad wrote:

Anyway, I followed Julius here from AFTimes (and his old "Amazing Justice League of Julius Marx" column), because he covered the various animated DC lines better than I'd seen online at the time. My focus has always been the DCAU (before that term was even coined), so I look forward to these JLU interviews that are in the works.

Same here, I remember going to AFTimes only because of Julius' column, he is awesome. Even if we don't get these interviews, IMO He and the AFI crew saved JLU, without this site (which I think was pretty darn big)... we wouldn't have gotten the characters we did in JLU. We were loud enough to get those figures... if this site and the great people behind didn't exist, we wouldn't have had a microphone to make out our loud call to Mattel for more JLU figures... Nor would we have had Mr. Marx to help in getting our voices heard at all. :)

my rant moment is over, lol ... you rock AFI team!!! 8)

D.

THIS as well :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Just checking ... I visit this message board once a day hoping to see that the JLU interviews have arrived. Still in JLU withdrawl. Hoping for anything. I appreciate that whoever is writing them must also be extremely busy ... just was wondering if we will see them at some point soon? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:30 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

I'll get Rocko and Moose to visit the big guy and get some intel... :wink:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:50 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

The Superfly wrote:
I'll get Rocko and Moose to visit the big guy and get some intel... :wink:

Looking forward to the update!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am 
Cold-cast

Yes the boards are kind of like a ghost town these days. The really strange part is that comic sales are up significantly since DC introduced the New 52, so you think there would be a similar upswing in Mattel's toy sales and interest in new action figures.

I think there are three factors contributing to the decline of (adult) fan interest in Mattel's DC products. 1.) High prices for low quality figures; 2.) Multiple other companies joining the DC game and besting Mattel's figures in quality (DC Collectors, Figures Toy Company, Medicom, Hot Toys, etc.); and 3.) Mattel's repeated mismanagement of the license.

Poor distribution, constant scale-swapping, canceling successful lines instead of rebooting them, and just a general cluelessness about what collectors want to buy constantly plague Mattel's DC lines.

I think Mattel is great making action figures for the 8 years old and under crowd, and maybe they are happy with that. That seems to be where the most money is. I don't think kids who can barely write make it on to the message boards too often to voice their interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 pm 
Damage Control

Careful with the comment about Nu52 sales. I'm no expert, and I can't back this up with links, but I have read many articles that indicated sales at the beginning of the "experiment" were indeed increased, but after a year they returned to pre-52 levels. (Ultimately meaning a new audience was not reached.)

Just an observation. That's all. Please carry on.

C.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next