Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel panels at SDCC 2016
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The full story is at the SDCC Unofficial Blog, but here's an interesting tidbit.

Friday, July 22nd

Mattel’s DC Comics Collector Figures: The Rebirth of Multiverse
11:00a.m. – 12:00p.m. (Room: 25ABC)
Mattel Designers (Bill Benecke, Steve Redinger, Jason Langston), Four Horsemen Studios Principles (Jim Preziosi, Eric Treadaway, Eric “Cornboy” Mayse), and Warner Bros. VPs of Global Toys (Julian Montoya) discuss the design and creation of DC Comics Multiverse collector figures. Panelists will partake in a Q&A session moderated by Daniel Pickett (Action Figure Insider).

Post subject: Re: Mattel panels at SDCC 2016
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:11 am 
Cold-cast

The Four Horsemen inclusion makes things very interesting. Here's to crossing my fingers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 am 
Bob Vila

If they announce that they will be bringing back DCUC style figures with a mixture of classic looks and new Rebirth versions, I will be over the moon!! There are still so many obvious gaps in my DCUC collection, despite having got everything they made. I hope if the 4H are back in the fold, that we get head sculpts as good as those at the start of the line instead of the phoned in ones we got at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:55 am 
Tis' but a pup

As positive as this sounds and as much as I want to do my happy dance, there's some stuff that sticks in my craw and will until I hear what they have to say and see what they show at the panel.

1) The new buck they used for Year Zero Batman doesn't scale with DCUC. Please don't use it.

2) TV/game figures will still probably show up. They're very popular and now have no outlet if the Multiverse line ends. While the Multiverse may mean something different to comic fans, it's an all encompassing term used by DC management, editorial, and suits to mean DC characters on all platforms. However, any comic accurate Multiverse figures would be more than welcome to me. It's one of the things I love about DC and gives Mattel an out to make multiple versions of the big names and not be too redundant. Kingdom Come, more DKR, New Frontier, etc., would all be on my personal short list.

3) I seriously doubt we get any pre-Flashpoint figures at all. Really doubt any New 52 shows up either.

4) As good as it is to see Benecke and the 4H involved, they're all Super Powers/Friends fans and therefore puts them on the table. I hope to God I'm wrong because I hate the SP/SF. But I know they'd love to sculpt Quadrex.

I think this is all about rebooting DCUC the way Rebirth has breathed new life into the DC Comics. It's an unqualified smash hit success. Sales are up, advance reorders are up, and reprints are up. It's been a very long time since I've seen DC with this kind of momentum. New 52 didn't even accomplish this. I'm betting Mattel wants to get on this freight train. Therefore I believe the bulk of what we get going forward are Rebirth designs. My two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:23 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I'm going to try not to get my hopes up too high but I'm very optimistic about DCUC getting a relaunch. Very happy about the inclusion of the Horsemen in the panel. Can't wait to see what they have in store!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:04 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Wednesday & Thursday Program Schedules

Friday Program Schedule + A Programming Tip!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:55 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

No Masters of the Universe Panel :(
I hope they at least get to Snake Mountain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:40 pm 
declined to be a vampire

So anymore news out of this on any DCUC type figures?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:35 pm 
Tis' but a pup

No news but I remain hopeful. Rebirth in the name of the panel is what we call a tell. :mrgreen:

Hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:11 pm 
not exactly street legal

I hope the rebirth includes a 4 inch line as well.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:20 am 
Tis' but a pup

One of the bigger reasons why I'm optimistic is that I think it's too early to show any movie figures. The Wonder Woman film is eleven months off. The JLA flick is sixteen months out and not on the Warner's film panel at SDCC this year. Mattel is clearly gonna show something or they wouldn't be having this panel. And it's not that Mattel has never done TV, game, or animated style figures, it's just that DCC has done so many more and done them better in most cases. Especially the animated stuff.

So by process of elimination, I think we see another more comic accurate line of figures from Mattel in a week. Probably six inch scale and compatible with DCUC and related lines. Although that Year Zero Batman buck might screw up the scale if it's used too much. However it's almost a certainty that this new line will be based on Rebirth. In business terms, it's the smart play given Rebirth's continued success.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:55 am 
Cold-cast

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
4) As good as it is to see Benecke and the 4H involved, they're all Super Powers/Friends fans and therefore puts them on the table. I hope to God I'm wrong because I hate the SP/SF. But I know they'd love to sculpt Quadrex.

If there's any chance of a Super Friends-style Bizarro & Grodd, they can make whatever type of figure from now on & I'll never complain. I would SO mark out for these two.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:07 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about. If they went down that road we'd get the re-release of the still peg warming Capt. Cold with a painted blue face. And a bunch of other redos.

I'm talking about completing the CotSF with Rima. Followed by the remaining characters from the legendary Fourth wave of Super Powers. Quadrex, Executioner, Silicon, Rocketman, and Howitzer. I've never heard whether DC actually owns those characters or not. They could've been owned by Kenner which would now make them Hasbro property. The rest of that wave has actually been done aside from Black Racer, Manhunter (Simonson style), Atomic Knight, Shockwave (an obscure Blue Devil villain), and what is presumably Man-Hawk. Only three there I'd buy.

And I still hope it doesn't happen.

Truth is, I think this is all about Rebirth.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/arch ... index.html

This is what I mean if you've never seen it. I'd take a classic Black Racer, Simonson Manhunter, and the Atomic Knight. The rest, not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:58 pm 
shirtless hugger

So was there any news or additional reveals out of this panel? I haven't really seen or heard anything?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Toy News International has photos of slides showing the 3D sculpts of Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor for the movie but that's all I've found so far. Hopefully Daniel will post more info tonight...

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=408&itemid=26867