Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC 2014: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

All the news and updates from SDCC 2014 for the Masters of the Universe Classics line!

Please keep all Comic-Con related news, images, and discussion in this thread. This thread will be updated as news and photos are released during the show...

- - - - -

Quote:
Mattel Presents: Mattypalooza 2014!

Friday July 25, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. Room 25ABC

It’s that time again! Join us for the toy panel to beat all toy panels – Mattypalooza! Celebrating our 6th year at SDCC, come get the inside scoop on your favorite collectable toys from Mattel: Masters of the Universe®, DC Comics, Ghostbusters™ and more! Plus be there to hear the latest news on the future of MOTU Classics! As we enter the final year of MOTUC, we’ll complete the vintage toy line characters rendered in Classics styling. We look back and celebrate what is perhaps the greatest toy line in the history of ever! Get exclusive sneak peeks at 2015 product that will not be shown anywhere else. This panel will also include an insightful Q & A with Mattel Marketing Manager Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich, Mattel Toy Designer Brandon Sopinsky, Digital Content Strategist Eve Orio and special guests The Four Horsemen. It’s the place to be for the world premiere of tons of new toys and collectibles! If you go to one Toy Panel at SDCC, make it Mattypalooza!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/matt ... nd-panels/

- - - - -

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/afi- ... k-and-bio/

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/so-m ... -facebook/

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/matt ... on-figure/

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/matt ... -now-live/

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: SDCC 2014: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

SO with the Oo-lar announcement-- I am definitely out of the sub for next year..

So people complained about the shipping being the reason that they wont buy the Mini Masters (because that makes them almost 30.00 for 2)... so Mattel actually did a good thing-- and said they will combine them and shipping them out together. Even offered a subscription for next year...

And then drop the news- that you need to pay a 20 fee to be in the subscription to get an exclusive diorama- and then drop the diorama piece from the sets.. So essentially they just increased the price of what you got this year (which people weren't buying because of the price and apparent value) + 20.00 more as a "favor" to us.. Mattel will just never ever learn..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 am 
ABS

I like the cankles on Oo-Larr.

Looks like a lot of cool product for the MOUTUC subscribers. Ninjor is really nice! And Mermista turned out really cool. If only Matty had put this much effort in to the DCUC sub.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 pm 
Resin

Oh dear God, in the name of mercy, don't get me started on DCUC. So much potential, cut down YEARS before it should've ended...

A few thoughts of my own on what was revealed at the "MattyPalooza" seminar.

No real interest here in those giant 12" based-on-the-originals Masters figures. What is it with this, anyway? Star Wars pulls it, and then both G.I. Joe and Masters get behind it? Weird. (And on a brief side note, what bright bulb decided they shouldn't start out the Joe ones with swivel-arm battle grip!??!)

No real interest either in the Mini-Figures. Apparently they're popular enough to warrant a subscription, but I just can't quite get behind Masters figures with the approximate body size and proportions of Smurfs.

As to what was revealed for the rest of the year in the Classics line, and hopefully for 2015, I'm a lot more impressed. About the only near-turkey here as far as I'm concerned is the traveling convention item, Skeletor's Hover Robots. At least I won't have to knock myself out trying to get those.

I'm not all THAT gung-ho about the horse, Arrow, or the 200X two-pack of Snake-Armor He-Man and Battle Armor King Hssss, but -- okay, there's worse things they could've come up with, really.

Entrapta -- impressive. Eldor -- very cool and long overdue. Tung Lashor -- about time we got close to wrapping up the Snake-Men. Hoping Squeeeze (or however many "e"s belong in there) makes it. Mermista - VERY impressive. Gwildor - meh, but I know people like him. He deserves to be in the line. Galactic Protector She-Ra -- not bad at all. Certainly better than Bubble Power She-Ra... not to mention a lot less silly... Spinnerella -- cool. Oo-Lar as the Club Exclusive -- fine by me. Okay, he doesn't look like much, but they've dropped the guy's name often enough over the years, it's about time he got a figure. Lizard Man -- I remember him from the cartoon. Glad to see him. Huntara -- a good addition. I'm assuming that we're getting "Ninja Warrior" because they can't use the name "Ninjor" for some reason. But he's way overdue for inclusion -- and I know what I'll be calling him.

I also think it's significant, and maybe just a little hopeful, that in the written report on MattyCollector, they specifically put the word "Classics" in "Masters of the Universe Classics" in italics. That wasn't an accident.

I just really, really hope that Club Eternia meets its subscription goal for 2015. The line deserves to be brought to a good conclusion, at the very least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I really don't get the whole drop the dio pieces and charge the same for them business. I also have to wonder about Grayskull as there are connectors on the tower pieces that, as of now, have no purpose at all -- are there more pieces planed for it?

I wonder about the mini-reveals, too. Considering the minis were being "tested" this year I can't imagine King He-Man (he looks cool and all, but I think complete vintage would've been the way to go with this line) and Clawful being part of the original plan. I would've thought Evil-Lyn, Trap-Jaw or Tri-Klops would've been the choice for the last villain slot and Teela seems like she would've been the last hero slot. As for the new reveals, I'm a bit disappointed that She-Ra isn't coming with Hordak or Catra. The Horde Trooper should've been a multi-pack, even people that aren't going to army build would probably like more than one of those (I really hope this doesn't mean that an HT will be put into every-so-many releases). What I'd really like to see now is Battle Cat, Panthor and Swift Wind make the cut. I'm probably the only one, but I think a Titus and Megator set would look great in this style.

The giant vintage figures are of no interest to me. I always thought that the vintage figures looked horrible for the most part, making them nearly three times as big makes them look even worse. For those that love them, more power to you, hope you get every figure you want in that style/scale.

Not crazy about Arrow's color scheme, but it's another horse - YAY!

Going to be an expensive year for me with all of the second display options that are being offered...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Ninjors unmasked head looks a lot like jitsu. Is that intentional or do all Asian-eternians look the same to Matty?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:00 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Just saw a photo of Arrow with Bow in the saddle and *WOW* do those colors clash!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:04 pm 

Also, speaking of that, are ninjor and rio blast the only earth themed characters in the line? I'm not remembering any others. I mean, I guess snakes are indigenous to earth, but I don't see why they couldn't exist on eternia. Mer-man and mermista? Same there. Rio blast always reminded me of bravestarr and ninjor is obviously just an evil ninja.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:05 pm 

Jim_Abell wrote:
Just saw a photo of Arrow with Bow in the saddle and *WOW* do those colors clash!

Post it up, hoss!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 pm 

I had every single motu item ever sku'ed by Mattel when I was a kid, and as much as I'd love to have a room full of these, I don't own a single one. But I tell you what; I can't wait to get my hands on that book!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Most everything in the line is Earth-themed in some way. He-Man is a barbarian, Buzz-Off and Sweet Bee are a bees, Clawful is a crab, Snake Men are snakes, there are cats, horses, gorillas, birds, robots, cowboys, ninjas, knights, samurai, bards, mercenaries... Even when you get into the fantastic stuff it still has some basis in traditional legends ghosts, wizards, witches, conjured beings, technological marvels, supernatural beings... the list goes on-and-on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

First photo in this post over at the .org...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/sho ... st-post!-D)&p=3486660&viewfull=1#post3486660

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 pm 

Didn't see it, but I'm sure it'll pop up sooner or later. No, I get that bees and snakes and cats and spiders and dinosaurs are earth things, but I wouldn't say any of them are necessarily specific to earth anymore than all the people having 2 arms & 2 legs. Barbarians and monarchy and technology all seem like they could exist anywhere like Star Wars had a lot if those elements. Star Wars had vests, too, but seems like vests would just naturally happen. Nothing about mekanek says earth the way a mustachioed gunslinger in cowboy boots and chaps or Asian looking characters who know jujitsu and are ninjas do, though, and that's what I meant, I guess. While a lot of the characters are familiar to earth stuff, rio blast and ninjor almost seem like they came from earth. Anyhow, probably not the place for this discussion. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:41 pm 

Back on track: anyone else notice the motu giants card back has battle cat on it? I wonder if that means a $200 2 foot hollow green cat is in the works!?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:52 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I get what you're saying, those two in particular are almost straight "translations" of Earth concepts but the whole line just throws everything into a blender and somehow makes it work.