Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Wants to Know - Do you want cheaper figures?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm seriously wondering what people are talking about with regards to the shipping costs. Blaming Mattel for UPS pricing makes no sense to me or can you not choose the cheaper USPS rate for subs which for me is around $9.00 roughly about what it costs me to send a MOTUC MIB most places in the US.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:36 pm 
3 3/4"

ian5555 wrote:
I'm seriously wondering what people are talking about with regards to the shipping costs. Blaming Mattel for UPS pricing makes no sense to me or can you not choose the cheaper USPS rate for subs which for me is around $9.00 roughly about what it costs me to send a MOTUC MIB most places in the US.

I sell a bunch of stuff on eBay so I'm very familiar with shipping costs. Mattel charges almost double what it should cost and it takes waaaaaay too long to stuff to arrive. There is something very flawed with their system. I've had stuff come close and then get farther away and then come back again (as have other people). For what they charge for shipping, it should be delivered within 2-3 days, not 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:35 am 
shirtless hugger

MisterMiracle wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

I sell a bunch of stuff on eBay so I'm very familiar with shipping costs. Mattel charges almost double what it should cost and it takes waaaaaay too long to stuff to arrive. There is something very flawed with their system. I've had stuff come close and then get farther away and then come back again (as have other people). For what they charge for shipping, it should be delivered within 2-3 days, not 2 weeks.

They make a profit on Shipping, a lot of companies do. It's a really easy way to make more money for the company.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Bagging would be acceptable, but the 'plain white box' we used to get mail away figures in might be better. That bag doesn't offer much protection against the horrors that are the USPS. I think the biggest cost saver here is the paycheck to the artist. Yes you need good colorful art to catch the customer's eye in the store, but we already know what we are getting. Besides, I haven't seen good art on a toy in a store in a long time.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

MisterMiracle wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

So do I. I have sold MOTUC figures before and for USPS priority for 1 figure is close to $8.00 every time for a 12 x 9 x 6 box that weighs around 1.1 lbs If you try to ship the same box with UPS ground it is $13.50 around (shipping from Oklahoma to either coast).

In comparison Matty is $9.90 shipping one figure to me USPS, $15.00 for UPS ground. 2 figures on Matty is $11.00 for me which is about right what it cost me to send 2 figures MIB.

I'm not seeing this double the actual price people are talking about. Throw in the cost of boxes and paying someone to mail stuff for you and they are probably making very little.

Also, Matty/DR has nothing to do with shipping routes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am 
5" Scale

I'm sorry, but you are wrong Ian, I know you like to go against the grain and most of the time I'm with you. This time you've missed the mark. I think all of us have experience with different was of shipping. So it is hard to believe out of all of us, you are the only one that doesn't think the shipping is overpriced for the type of shipping we get. I can't speak for the members having it sent UPS, but the USPS members are basically being charged a Priority price and having their package sent Parcel Post. I'm going to actually go and test this theory out when I make a run to the grocery store. As FlaBat pointed out, this is how they are making their money. To throw something in a polybag and as my wife just said to me, "Probably throw it in a bubble envelope" just cheapens what we're already being overcharged for. This is basically year 3 of Matty. All of the kinks and ways to save customers money should have been worked out by year 2. Say what you will about Hasbro, but I don't see them constantly asking fans their opinions on how to sell through their store. Then again, they also handle everything in house and don't outsource :|

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, I would like some proof on that then.

An example I'll give. I just sold 2 loose MOTUC figures on Ebay and they weigh about 1.2 lbs so roughly the same as a MIB figure.

If I go and print out a label using Ebay's labeling system these are my pricing options shipping from Oklahoma to Maryland.

USPS Priority- $7.34 (delivery confirmation included in price)
USPS Parcel- $7.78 with .19 for delivery confirmation.

No idea why but Parcel is more expensive in some cases.

Now if I go to UPS's site this is how much it is to send the package through them.

UPS Ground- $13.53

Now as I said previously, Matty charges $9.90 USPS and $15.00 for UPS Ground so I'm not seeing the double shipping everyone is talking about compared to calculators and shipping I have done myself. Now maybe a better question is why cant they send priority if it is cheaper in a lot of cases with these sized boxes? I personally do not care if I get my figure in 2 days or 2 weeks though.

Last edited by ian5555 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I don't mind the shipping price nearly as much as the TIME it takes to get it. Mine come from Cali and it consistently takes a week to get to me. If you buy two figures, the shipping is actually reasonable.

And I'm in Arizona BTW.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Like I said I could care less about the time but for those that do, USPS Priority should be an option. Based on what I have done with shipping it usually isn't much more expensive and sometimes it is actually less.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm 
5" Scale

For $#!%'s and giggles I took my unopened St. Walker to the post office. Keep in mind, I can hear it bouncing around and the box wasn't properly sealed. Given the size of the inner box it could have been very easy for someone to take the inner box. Now this isn't the norm, but what the hell are we paying shipping and handling for? Bygones, the package weighed 1 lb. 13.70 oz and I did a reverse shipping. Priority Mail was $5.50 + $0.75 delivery confirmation=$6.25. Parcel Post $5.45 + delivery confirmation=$6.20. Keep in mind that it kept telling me for $.005 I could bump it up to Priority. Which does prove Ian's point that PP is sometimes more costly than PMTo add even more fun to this I checked what it cost for the flat fee boxes. A small FRB(8 5/8 x 5 3/8 x 1 5/8) was $6.10 w/dc# and the medium FRB(11" x 8.5 x 5.5) was $12.10 w/DC#. I was charged $9.90 w/DC for something that is being sent PP. When I opened the box there was no packing paper, just the box. Sorry, but there's no excuse on why these aren't getting here faster and packed properly given the $3.65 difference between what I was charged vs. what I found out using a automated terminal at my local Post Office. I'm kind of with LM on this, send them in the plain white boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Where exactly are you shipping from and to? Zip codes please. What are the dimensions of the box?

A $5.00 rate is usually in state for shipping priority like I can ship a box that weight (1 lb 13 oz) and under 12 inches in length to Tulsa from Oklahoma City for $5.04 priority. The same box is $7.95 to say shipping to LA as long as it is not over 12 inches.

BTW you can look all this up online at USPS.com. You don't have to go to the PO to get rates.

I will agree throwing a little brown piece of paper or no packing material at all is pretty lame for a line that is supposed to be collectibles. They should have bubble wrap around them but I have never had any problems.

After reading some of the posts on he-man.org it seems that CA is a problem with shipping but most other places are spot on or near to it. Some guy said he was charged $9.52 for shipping and he lives 2 hours a way. I could see how that would suck but now they have everyone thinking they should be able to ship these things for $5.00 anywhere and that just isn't possible.

Last edited by ian5555 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:16 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

The shipping cost that you're coming up with Donster is based on distance. Using the same weight you provided and USPS's handy shipping calculator, shipping from Ohio(45501) to California (90210) Parcel Post comes in at $8.83 and Priority $10.40 (online price $9.62). If you were to strip off that silly packaging and use a smaller box you can get the total weight under a pound, which drops Priority down to $6.30, Parcel Post to $5.70, and if it's 13 ounces or less, it opens up First Class Parcel at $3.65.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:15 pm 
5" Scale

I'm shipping from zip code 98424 to Ontario, CA 91761. The dimensions of the box 7.25W x 10.25L x 4.5H. Yes, I know that I can get all of this online, but since I don't have a scale at home I went to the post office to get the weight and information on shipping. I'm also very aware that it is all dependent on where the item is shipped from and to. That wasn't my point. My point since my first post in this thread has been the same, we are being overcharged for what is basically parcel post shipping. There's no getting around it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Uhhh, no "we" aren't because mine is pretty close if you tack on handling charges (which I am fine with). I figured the weight was already on the box since you still had it which is why I thought you might not be aware of the online calculator.

When I calculate shipping with those zip codes I get $7.26 Priority and $7.49 Parcel from 98424 to 91761 and reverse. That is weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 am 
5" Scale

It wasn't a big deal. I was going out to run an errand and took the package with me. Are you using the USPS.com online postage calculator? If you are, they tend to show higher cost than what you'd actually pay in the actual P.O. I've run into this when quoting someone shipping and then going there only to find out it was a few bucks less. One other reason why I thought I would take it in. Like I said, I'd be ok with the shipping and handling too, if I was actually getting what I paid for. Throwing a box in a bigger box and slapping tape on it and putting it on a slow boat isn't. Which has been mine, and several others point. Anyway, I've said my peace on the matter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next