Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man of Steel Movie Masters Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:30 am 
declined to be a vampire

Also, seeing Ted's review...one comment I want to make: I grew up with Christopher Reeve as Superman...but with that...there hasn't been a good Superman movie since 1978.

We may have loved Reeve as Superman in the other 3, but think about that for a moment: 35 years since a good Superman movie.

This movie wasn't intended to be anything like those. Not one bit. I think that's a good thing, and I honestly think that's part of what killed Superman Returns. This is a new start, and it shouldn't be anything like those movies. I was always a bit leery on the happy all the time Superman. It never made sense to me, even as a kid.

It's one reason why I am thrilled they didn't use John Williams again, regardless of how much I loved him.

This is the movie I've been waiting for, for a long time. I thought it was pretty good. Were there things that could be better? Yep, although i don't think I've ever seen a perfect movie.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:31 am 
declined to be a vampire

AnimateTed wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:
I very much doubt anyone will ever be able to touch the performance Chris Reeve gave as Superman. He was able to be warm and welcoming, stern and powerful and even angry when it mattered.
But from what I've seen of Cavill in the multitude of clips shown so far he seems to be doing a good job. I can't wait to see this, I'm going Friday lunch time with a group of friends and will hopefully be pleased with the movie at the very least.
I think if there are any mistakes in tone, they can be addressed in sequels now that the character has been re-established. I appreciate you giving us your review and keeping it spoiler free, but like all movies, I will make up my mind when I've watched it. ( I was'nt suggesting you we're telling us how to feel about it, just that everyone's tastes are different).

Hahahahha. Of course. Id expect nothing less! thats why theres chocolate AND vanilla!

I just love the genre so much. I'm rooting for DC to kick ass in films, but between DKR, Green Lantern and this... I just feel they don't have a vision. Marvel movies have their flaws, but their eye is always on the prize. But I'm more of a DC fan. I just think that the people in charge don't understand what makes their characters special. And those that do, get caught up in the "Hollywood" of it all, and lose sight of the bigger picture.

I could talk about this for hours!

I also appreciate your opinions too...don't want you to think I'm picking at you!

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 am 
5th Horseman

Not at all. I work in the biz. I know taste levels differ from person to person. I love TERRIBLE TERRIBLE movies. But I recognize when they are flawed.

Without spoiling anything, and because I love a healthy discourse, I just felt that for a movie about "what price would Superman pay to protect humanity" I didn't see the moment where he makes that connection with humanity. Nor did I see the dilemma of paying that price.

The flashbacks were beautifully shot, and the one scene with Kevin Costner thats in all the trailers is incredibly well acted and poignant. But I never saw the moment when young Clark learns to appreciate what humanity is about. And to that respect - nothing is ever earned. Lois just sort of does her thing, all is revealed with little jeopardy to either her or Superman. No stakes. Clark finds his origins... We join him after he's already located it, and just sort of investigates it. No stakes. Villains imprisoned after a cataclysmic battle... but then they stop. No stakes. Villains arrive on earth we never see the moment of awareness or the impending threat. They're just there and were told in flashback how it all went down. No stakes. No surprises, no hurdles. it just all kinda happens like a recipe, and if theres a question about why something went down, they say it in a flashback. meh. Oh and Lois is still a damned redhead. :-P LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:48 am 
Tis' but a pup

AnimateTed wrote:
Oh and Lois is still a damned redhead.

That right there is why I will never see this movie.

As long as movie-makers continue to spit in the face of comic collectors by getting even the smallest of details wrong, while continuing to greedily grab for our dollar, I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

squeezeplay wrote:
AnimateTed wrote:
Oh and Lois is still a damned redhead.

That right there is why I will never see this movie.

As long as movie-makers continue to spit in the face of comic collectors by getting even the smallest of details wrong, while continuing to greedily grab for our dollar, I'm out.

If it takes something as minor and insignificant as hair color to upset you that much ....
um...
wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I'm sorry you didn't like the movie, Ted. I saw it last night, and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I want to get the Movie Masters figures now! Lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 am 
Tis' but a pup

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
If it takes something as minor and insignificant as hair color to upset you that much ....
um...
wow.

You completely missed my point. Entirely.

It's not ONE instance of some actress with some hair color. It's REPEATED instances of being slapped in the face with every detail, from the biggest to the smallest.

Hollywood is never going to make all comic-related movies 100% accurate to the source material, and unless a movie IS (like 300 and Sin City) I am going to quit watching them. I just DO NOT CARE anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:31 am 
5th Horseman

I think what infuriates most of fandom is that it's arbitrary changes like this that add no value to the story. Lois Lane is an iconic character. Removing or changing one of the tropes that signifies her iconography does a disservice to the character. She's now just the girl. Nothing about Amy Adams says "Lois Lane" not her performance, not her dress, not her look.

Visual change in service of story WORKS. I don't think anyone would complain about the Joker's appearance in Dark Knight, or even Bane's appearance in DKR (as silly as it was) you got iconography of the character, and the change was serviced by story. Marvel dyed Gwynneth Paltro's hair red... because part of that character's iconography is her red hair! They dyed Emma Stone's hair blonde for Gwen Stacy. As they say, the devil is in the details. And as long as details change change for no valid reason... the devil wins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:33 am 
5th Horseman

GregNYC wrote:
I'm sorry you didn't like the movie, Ted. I saw it last night, and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I want to get the Movie Masters figures now! Lol

Hahahah... I was going to buy the toys regardless! Look, I know it's going to make money. And it is action packed. And Henry Cavill is a great looking Superman. I just feel that it's all jazz hands... no dance steps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:43 am 
Tis' but a pup

AnimateTed wrote:
I think what infuriates most of fandom is that it's arbitrary changes like this that add no value to the story. Lois Lane is an iconic character. Removing or changing one of the tropes that signifies her iconography does a disservice to the character. She's now just the girl. Nothing about Amy Adams says "Lois Lane" not her performance, not her dress, not her look.

Visual change in service of story WORKS. I don't think anyone would complain about the Joker's appearance in Dark Knight, or even Bane's appearance in DKR (as silly as it was) you got iconography of the character, and the change was serviced by story. Marvel dyed Gwynneth Paltro's hair red... because part of that character's iconography is her red hair! They dyed Emma Stone's hair blonde for Gwen Stacy. As they say, the devil is in the details. And as long as details change change for no valid reason... the devil wins.

I agree almost 100%. Except the Joker in TDK. I hated everything about that, his look and the writing of his character. If they had made Joker with white skin/green hair and not makeup I could have at least handled it. Other than Joker I thought it was a decent enough movie.

I thought Bane looked ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 am 
declined to be a vampire

AnimateTed wrote:

I don't necessarily think "brunette" when I think Lois, but I did feel Amy Adams was the weak link in the movie. The hair color didn't bother me anymore than Perry White being a black guy. Would I prefer it have been brunette and a white guy? Eh...maybe that hardcore part of me.

But maybe some other things hit that nerve in this movie more than either of those.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 am 
declined to be a vampire

squeezeplay wrote:
AnimateTed wrote:

I agree almost 100%. Except the Joker in TDK. I hated everything about that, his look and the writing of his character. If they had made Joker with white skin/green hair and not makeup I could have at least handled it. Other than Joker I thought it was a decent enough movie.

I thought Bane looked ok.

Wow, really? Prior to TDK, I did not like Heath Ledger. I didn't like the casting of him, and I can't recall one movie he was in that I enjoyed. But I thought he absolutely made TDK...and I thought he WAS the Joker.

But again, this shows how different each of us are in our tastes of movies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Lets get this thread back on the topic of the TOYS , shall we? I believe there is a forum lower down on the page to discuss movies ;)
Thanks guys!
On topic - I hear that the Superman MM with Key has shown up at retail, but I'm still looking for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Bah! to you and your humbuggery sir! Bah I say! Bah! Bah!

(wow, I guess I really am the black sheep in my family aren't I? :P )

On the subject of toys...

I haven't really seen many of the movie masters at all. None of the Walmarts in my area are carrying them and the Targets seem to be heavily stocked with Superman and the occasional Zod (yes, I know that means I have just been missing the Jor-Els).

Not that it matters as I don't plan on buying them anyway. They just aren't all that appealing to me. But I would like to see an Armored Zod and Faora and possibly pick up those if they really catch my eye. I'm not expecting them to, but, I'm bored lately with nothing else to buy so ya never know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 pm 
5th Horseman

My bad.

Faora is the absolute best thing in the movie. She kicks so much ass. I imagine her figure being the hardest to find. I'm sure she's short packed... Villain, female, wave 2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next