Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC Signature Series and MOTUC - Quality Control
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Is it just me, or has the quality control on Masters and especially DC Universe been slipping juuust a bit lately?

Cases in point: The Platinum figure that I received had a triangular chest piece that was horribly askew. Since this was glued into place, there wasn't much I could do with it.

The Blue Lantern emblem on Saint Walker looks just a little -- off. Take a look at other representations of this emblem, especially the one on the Blue Lantern version of Kyle Rayner. The center circle is larger. It just doesn't seem to be as neatly imprinted on Walker.

Netossa seems to have a slight mold crease on her chin. This has been a frequent problem with both DC and Masters figures. If this had been significantly worse, she would've looked like she had a scar right down the middle of her face.

I realize these are mass-produced figures, and nothing's perfect, but given what we're paying for these figures, I think we're well entitled to expect somewhat better than this, and I'd hate to think it's a problem that will worsen, which is why I am mentioning it in a public forum.

I am VERY pleased that both Masters and DC have been renewed for 2013, and I hope both lines will continue for many years to come, especially given the state of the toy world at retail outlets these days, and my distinct lack of interest in the "New 52"-focused DC Unlimited line. I'm very glad to have Saint Walker, I'm certainly looking forward to Larfleeze, as well as the other new Masters and DC figures.

That said, this sort of thing is the main reason I'm not fond of having to mail-order action figures. You don't get to check them out before you buy. I realize I'm picky, but like I said, given the cost...

Anyway, I've said my piece. Hope someone who can maybe do something about it is reading. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: DC Signature Series and MOTUC - Quality Control
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:14 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

It's not just you, and it isn't just lately. These lines have always had some quality control problems, and it's not the norm, but when being sent the figures instead of personally grabbing them off pegs at a store, one can get hit with some bad luck. I didn't subscribe to MOTUC, but I subscribed to CIE. Jay Garrick, Atrocitus, and Metron were as fine as they could be...then I received Rocket Red (as fine as he could be considering all the design and execution issues) along with a Starman with a huge chunk of paint flaked off of his foot. Mirror Master was fine the next month, and my Black Mask figure was also problem free (aside from those tiny hands) the month after that, but the following month started a streak of bad luck: Elasti-girl was problem free, but the Poison Ivy figure I received had a leg that popped off the moment I got her out of the package (like the joint cracked when it was being shoved into the plastic tray. The next month, my Uncle Sam figure was fine, but Constantine had a bobbly head and NO RIGHT HAND. Last month, I received an okay Lead figure, but not only did the Platinum figure I received have an crooked chest piece like yours, but she had been shoved into the plastic in such a way that her left arm was bent laterally at the elbow joint (the opposite of the way it's supposed to bend).
Quality control can be a problem, but I know I was just dealt a bad hand last year.