Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No DC retail panel at SDCC 2015?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:32 am 
my tummy itches

Seems like the Mattypalooza panel this year will be like last year's panel, with little to no DC info. I'm very surprised by this since Batman v Superman comes out in March of 2016. I was hoping for a DCCU panel or presentation.

Anyone know if Mattel will be presenting DC items? Did I miss a panel in the schedule?

Post subject: Re: No DC retail panel at SDCC 2015?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 am 
Former King of Posts

Might be saving something for NYCC in October, maybe retail team does not think collectors are significant purchasing base?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:33 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Its no big secret that DC isn't a priority for Mattel. Doesn't matter if its a fan-candy con like SDCC, or a retail like Toy Fair, Mattel just isn't interested in putting the big push behind DC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:15 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Really, though, what is there for them to promote outside of Multiverse just because of its ties to the game. Imaginext and Batman Unlimited are both viewed strictly as kids' lines by Mattel. Mattel let Jazwares get TTG and they don't do any product for the live-action shows. The girls' stuff doesn't really start until spring and that probably got it's own panel from DC covering the whole project/licensee thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Jim_Abell wrote:
Really, though, what is there for them to promote outside of Multiverse just because of its ties to the game. Imaginext and Batman Unlimited are both viewed strictly as kids' lines by Mattel. Mattel let Jazwares get TTG and they don't do any product for the live-action shows. The girls' stuff doesn't really start until spring and that probably got it's own panel from DC covering the whole project/licensee thing.

So you're saying they shouldn't promote anything?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:44 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Thresher wrote:
So you're saying they shouldn't promote anything?

I'm saying that DC Multiverse is the only line they have going right now aimed at collectors and I can't imagine an hour panel just for that. The "kids" lines just get a passing mention during the previous panels. I'm sure they'll have stuff related to Mulitiverse, Batman Unlimited, maybe those $10 12" heroes and, probably, whatever they're doing with TRU for Total Heroes on display, just no panel (I don't remember Imaginext stuff ever being in the booth, just slides at the presentation). Possibly some BvS will be previewed in the booth. Maybe some of the Super Hero Girls but considering how the Monster High reveals go I doubt we'll hear much from the "girls' team" on that one. There's no new animation on TV and there are no movies this fall, it would be very tough to get retail interested in anything right now. Hell, animation practically needs a second season in addition to great ratings to get shelf space at the majors anymore.

Maybe there will be some DC surprises at the Matty panel but I'm not counting on it. Fully expect that to focus on whatever they're doing with He-Man next year and The Real Ghostbusters stuff (if they're still doing that).

Considering the comment made by Bill Bekene in that interview and a few things the Horsemen have let slip I think Mattel is trying to find a way to revive DCUC. Considering how well Hasbro has been doing with the ML re-launch it has to have come up *but* I'm not sure that we'd hear anything about it just, yet. I would think any re-launch would come with BvS and Suicide Squad next year, maybe even a bit after that, if at all. If those two movies make a ton of money and move a ton of merchandise (I'm not saying they have to be good, they just have to make money) it will be a tremendous help in getting a lot of DC product back into every toy department.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:27 am 
Brand Manager

I sure would love if the so-called "multiverse" line has some non-video game characters revealed at SDCC. It's such a huge missed opportunity for Mattel not to produce 3.75" scale figures from DC's popular tv series Gotham, Arrow and Flash. Yes, I know Funko is doing Kenner style Arrow and Flash, but that's not for everyone. Many fans would love modern looking, super-articulated representations of those characters too.

There's so many good movie and tv characters they should be doing in this line, as well as COMIC themed characters, and yet they keep pushing the stupid Arkham video game crap. They really just need to rename the line to DC Arkham Universe if that's going to be their sole focus going forward. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:34 am 
Loose, Missing Package

shabbyblue wrote:
There's so many good movie and tv characters they should be doing in this line, as well as COMIC themed characters, and yet they keep pushing the stupid Arkham video game crap. They really just need to rename the line to DC Arkham Universe if that's going to be their sole focus going forward. :(

I'm not a 3 3/4" collector for superhero stuff but I agree with you 100% on that. There were, what, five movie figures then the game stuff took over completely, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Would YOU want to get up in front of a crowd and defend this garbage?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 pm 
Tis' but a pup

abuddah wrote:

Would YOU want to get up in front of a crowd and defend this garbage?

Is that Sloth dressed as Batman?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:13 pm 
An Insider

Woo Hoo! DC Multiverse 6" figures with Collect and Connect. I will start a new thread.