Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC Shades of Green (not Lanterns)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
Resin

Well, I wanted to include a picture with this posting, but I guess I can't do it as a simple attachment.

I recently purchased the DC Direct "Brightest Day" figure of Jade, since she almost looked like a DCUC figure (although she is a bit tall -- I love the headsculpt), and I figure the odds of her turning up in the monthly Signature Series anytime soon aren't that great.

And it got me to thinking about the various green-skinned characters we've seen come out of the DCUC line, and how different in color they are.

One of the first was Brainiac, pink sweater and everything. And while he's a cool figure, I also think his skin tone is way too dark for the character.

Then you've got Beast Boy. Not bad at all, really, if still a tad dark relative to how he generally looks in the comics.

Martian Manhunter, in my opinion, is right in the money, even if it's a little apparent that Mattel was trying to get as close as possible to Super Powers, although he's not quite that bright. He's certainly closer to what I feel is the right color than most of his Justice League Animated incarnations.

Brainiac 5, from the Legion of Super-Heroes set, also works well.

But it does seem that green skin is somehow a difficult thing for toy companies to turn out, perhaps because there aren't really any real-life counterparts. One of the first green-skinned action figures I ever possessed was Mego's Hulk. One of the better headsculpts, but far too dark a green. More recently, the Marvel Legends She-Hulk, a very impressive figure, was a lot closer, if a little too intense.

And then there's the DC Direct Jade. While a decidedly lighter and rather bright green, I like it. I don't think it would be right for Martian Manhunter or Braniac 5, but somehow, for Jade, it works.

I'm glad to have this figure. I'd like to think that we still might see Jade turn up in the DC Signature Series at some point. And just a friendly suggestion if we ever do, to Mattel -- make a close study of the DC Direct Brightest Day Jade. As close as you can get to that color scheme, the better, as far as I'm concerned. :D

Post subject: Re: DC Shades of Green (not Lanterns)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:48 pm 
Former King of Posts

Interesting point about the colors. My 4 Green Lanterns from Earth from DC Direct are all from different art styles and yet to me, they work as a part of the greater Justice League / Teen Titans membership I've been building over the years. Combining DCUC with my DC Direct collection has let me have a wider variety of characters. My most recent additions are the Jackson Hyde Aqualad and Chief Man of Bats. Neither have been on either team, but I see nothing wrong with posing them with the adult and teen teams, respectively.

Agree on the coloring for Martian Manhunter. I was never happy with the versions offered by DC Direct. The Mattel version nails the costume and color perfectly. I have him standing with DC Direct versions of Guy Gardner GL, Ted Kord Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, and a Hasbro 6 inch Shazam from their line that lasted all of 1 wave of 6 figures.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 pm 
ABS

These are some great observations. Jade is pretty cool figure. I think you either skipped or forgot Poison Ivy DCUC. Her skin tone is nice, but I can't tell whether it is too dark or too light, something about just seems off. But still all great green figures :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Resin

princeofpop98 wrote:
These are some great observations. Jade is pretty cool figure. I think you either skipped or forgot Poison Ivy DCUC. Her skin tone is nice, but I can't tell whether it is too dark or too light, something about just seems off. But still all great green figures :mrgreen:

I think Poison Ivy is an excellent color. When she's BEEN green (as opposed to a more typical flesh tone), it's generally been a very pale green. But the shade of green that she typically is, is so far removed from the others that I cited that I intentionally didn't mention her.