Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crazy JLU deals at BBTS.....
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:29 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Both are timeless of course but to put things into perspective of how amazing JLU was neither of those lines had as many figures as JLU did or characters for that matter when they came out I think. GiJoe might be close but Star Wars didn't get over 100 during the 70's and 80's.

http://dchallofjustice.com/media/CK-JLU.jpg

Over 200 unique figures. Not even Gi Joe can make that claim I think but they are close.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:33 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Fone Bone wrote:
Ian if you were NOT talking about PBateman I am going to do something to you I have never done before. I am going to apologize. Full stop. I was wrong.

That said, I didn't see four or five people in the thread bashing Mattel. Just one or two including PBateman. Everyone else (including me) defended Mattel in this particular situation. Could you understand how I could think that you were talking about him?

Yes, I can and sorry for my part as well. Not going to say who I was reffering too as I would rather drop it but it was a knee jerk reaction on my part as I was just trying to get out of work. As much as the Mattel bashing does annoy me I miss the days here discussing JLU good and bad. I just think the good outweighs the bad by a HUGE margin.

It's not like anything anyone says about Mattel is really so far off base and the line certainly had it's issues but I'm a glass half full type of fella.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:15 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

ian5555 wrote:
Both are timeless of course but to put things into perspective of how amazing JLU was neither of those lines had as many figures as JLU did or characters for that matter when they came out I think. GiJoe might be close but Star Wars didn't get over 100 during the 70's and 80's.

http://dchallofjustice.com/media/CK-JLU.jpg

Over 200 unique figures. Not even Gi Joe can make that claim I think but they are close.

I wouldn't call them unique figures, characters maybe, but it is alot easier to turn out so many characters when the majority of the figures are a new head & paint app on 4 or 5 different bucks. By comparison the 1982 Joe line, by my count achieved over 200 different characters, not including different versions of the same character, by its eighth year. And it still had another 4 years before it went on hiatus with the 3 3/4" line. And there was hardly any re-used torso or heads after the initial 1982 series. But I will agree with regards to the original Star Wars. Now the Star Wars that started in 1995 though has produced over 200 individual characters, but I would have to say not within the same number of years that JLU ran and that would mainly be due to the number of different costumes for each of the main characters that was produced.

But back on topic sorta, I believe most people are upset that Mattel would blow these "collector" sets out to online retailers and such without keeping them on the Matty Collector website. It is after all a website geared towards collectors, so why does Mattel put product up and then mark it as sold out only to later have it available again during a sale or to have it sold en mass to places like BBTS. It doesn't make sense. I have never seen a company like them that would rather sit on product then make it available on their website until it sells out. I mean who puts an item up for sale on a certain day and then a few weeks later mark the item as sold out and then remove it from your site when you still have plenty of product left and then state that the item didn't sell well enough. People can't buy it if it is not on your website. If there was all this product left, why didn't they just leave it available for purchase?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 pm 
Aspires to be #1

These issues with Mattel have been explained over and over again. Some people choose not to believe the reasons and others choose to ignore them completely. Go look it up. I'd bet this junk is explained at one point or another in every thread like this we've ever had.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:29 am 
Variant Head

Ok JH Mattel has explained it and I take their word they never lie ..... Anyways selling 3 packs for $4 each to online retailers proves they could have sold them on Matty for like $15 or something. Either way its fine fool me once shame on you .........Mattel is losing my money and lots of other people I knows money as well. And with out us die hard collectors the toy isles are pretty empty I see more men my age in the toy isle then kids, action figures in particular. Kids do like Batman yes but mattel is pricing the moms and pops out of the game

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:47 am 
categorically opposed

PBateman wrote:
Ok JH Mattel has explained it and I take their word they never lie ..... Anyways selling 3 packs for $4 each to online retailers proves they could have sold them on Matty for like $15 or something. Either way its fine fool me once shame on you .........Mattel is losing my money and lots of other people I knows money as well. And with out us die hard collectors the toy isles are pretty empty I see more men my age in the toy isle then kids, action figures in particular. Kids do like Batman yes but mattel is pricing the moms and pops out of the game

No, it proves that Mattel would rather take loss but guarantee a sale and guarantee that they've gotten product off of their hands than hope that someone buys it off of their site.

It costs money to store the items in Digital River's warehouse. How worthwhile would it be for Mattel to sit on them and continue to discount until they were a penny each, while they're paying Digital River a lot more than that to hold onto the items? Selling them off to BBTS or Diamond at a discount is their way of guaranteeing that they get at least some money. Let's face it - if they held onto the JLU stuff and tried to sell it themselves, they'd never get rid of all of it. They're still trying to unload some of the four-packs that they were practically giving away a couple years ago.

And if you're going to harp on about how they "could have" sold the packs for $15 - packs that were produced at much, much lower quantities than back in the retail days, therefore more expensive to produce - why weren't you harping back then about how they could've sold those three-packs for $3?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 am 
declined to be a vampire

PBateman wrote:

Do we know this as fact?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I'm just going to chime in by saying... JLU rocked! For sure Mattel made mistakes and did some junk, but whatever... they are a huge company who apparently can afford to make them, (plus I have too many other things in life to worry about than Mattel. I am sure everyone else does as well.) ;)

One last thing... yes, it is kind of lame for this to happen; especially for all of those/us who paid the original high prices for these when they first came out...
...but.... at least those people who were not or, could not get them before, now have a chance to... and at a much better price. AND anyone who wants extras for customs or MOC can do that now as well. :)

...Glass half full for me please. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
...Glass half full for me please.

Me, too. I've got so many of these "coulda got it cheaper if I'd waited" stories now that I just focus on what it means for me at the moment, and don't dwell on the prices I paid before. And forget toys -- consumer electronics, DVDs, video games, etc. is where you REALLY get hosed.

Also, I've got a LOT of stories about stuff I waited on and then lost out on completely, or had to pay crazy prices to get it on the secondary market. I'd rather have the figures than take a chance on missing them completely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 am 
Brand Manager

THE GLASS IS ALWAYS FULL. ALWAYS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Or the glass does not exist :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:13 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

The other possibility is that Matty views BBTS as just another customer and not a retailer..Its how fun pub views them in regard to their GI joe Collector Club.

I mean when we did that bulk order here-- we got all the 4 pack sets for 8.00 a piece..If I had called them back after that sale is over-- I can pretty much guarantee they would have sold me all of their remaining stock for even less if I said I would take it all.

Maybe BBTS offer is we will take everything you have remaining-- since all the items were up on their site for an "extended" period of time-- once that window closes personally I see it from the retailer that all bets are off..

THere is a possiblity that any one of us could have called matty up and offered to take all of their remaining JLU stock-- I guarantee you would have gotten a bulk discount as well-- and then we would all complain about whatever that person was doing on ebay.

Ive done this several times with trading card sellers-- when they get below 10 cases or so left- I have offered to take everything they have on hand-- and they dropped their prices another 30% off of what they already were clearing everything out at-- just because they didnt want the stock on hand anymore or wanted to take the time to inventory or track it (even advertise it)-- although it is a super minimal cost- it is still a cost to keep an order page up for one item-- thats why most retailers purge their system of out of stock item listings..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 am 
Brand Manager

stewbacca wrote:
The other possibility is that Matty views BBTS as just another customer and not a retailer..Its how fun pub views them in regard to their GI joe Collector Club.

Just to clarify, this appears to be a Diamond Comics Offering. You should be able to get your Comic Book Store to order some of the figures for you by using the product codes listed here and here. Mine is getting me a SDCC Swamp Thing for $10, the Ultraman/Luthor 2-pack for $7.50 and the Toyman 3-pack for $13.

Funny story about the Toyman 3-pack... the one I ordered last Christmas had horrible quality control issues. His leg was chipped, they didn't finish painting his mouth (so it literally looked like his head was cracked and he was missing teeth.) It was a total mess. The worst. Digital River even offered to replace him, but ended up refunding me my money when they were unable to find some of their "replacement stock". At the time, I didn't sweat it because I was allowed to keep the damaged Toyman along with the pretty good Firefly & Dr. Destiny. Plus, I figured I could buy one down the road through Ebay.

In the end, my patience and common sense paid off. But don't get me wrong, Digital River not being able to locate their own replacement stock is an issue. Plus, I still think that Mattel as a whole, would be better off by finding ways to reward their loyal subscribers and/or direct some of these discounts to their "so-called" baseline customers on a regular basis. The thing is... if they did, I would not get to save the $60 bucks (plus shipping) that I'm saving right now. Plus, I'm willing to bet their discounts would not be as extreme (or as steep) as the ones we are seeing now. So mum's the word.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:50 am 
shirtless hugger

Bryan Long wrote:
Quote:
...Glass half full for me please.

Me, too. I've got so many of these "coulda got it cheaper if I'd waited" stories now that I just focus on what it means for me at the moment, and don't dwell on the prices I paid before. And forget toys -- consumer electronics, DVDs, video games, etc. is where you REALLY get hosed.

Also, I've got a LOT of stories about stuff I waited on and then lost out on completely, or had to pay crazy prices to get it on the secondary market. I'd rather have the figures than take a chance on missing them completely.

This is how I see it, too. I'm comfortable with the price I paid, and I try not to lose sleep over sales or discounts that might come later. Prices always fluctuate. I've overpaid for toys, and I've underpaid. But I'm always happy in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Regardless of how or where these JLU figures are showing up, it's a win-win situation for JLU fans. Paying below what would have been their retail value for toys that they couldn't acquire beforehand for whatever reason is just awesome.

Now only if Volcana and classic Aquaman were thrown into the mix somewhere, darnitall! :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next