Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NO Super Friends kids line figures shown at TF?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 am 
Tis' but a pup

I can't believe there were no DC Super Friends toys shown at Toy Fair!? I thought the toys were going to be released soon and then the cartoons to soon follow? Did I miss something? I can't believe they didn't have the figures on display. Odd. So I guess Wonder Woman is not at all on Mattel's agenda until the BvS movie??

Post subject: Re: NO Super Friends kids line figures shown at TF?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:04 am 
Loose, Missing Package

None of the action figure sites I've checked have posted anything from the actual Mattel booth, yet (outside of the WWE line). Only things I can find are from the showcase on Sunday. I'm not sure why. Today is the last day of TF so maybe something will show up within the next couple of days once all the site reporters get home and sort through their info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I sure hope so. It would be weird to have talks of the toys being released prior to the cartoons and then not show any toys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:08 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

In this case, it may be that the cartoon is to sell Imaginext Super Friends. Batman Unlimited was shown in the showroom and Imaginext was there though I still haven't found any photos specific to DC product.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

wws1fan1 wrote:
I sure hope so. It would be weird to have talks of the toys being released prior to the cartoons and then not show any toys.

You still act like Mattel's Left Hand knows what their right is doing..

For all we know-- the SF cartoon they are going to air is the one that was on that DVD that came with toys 2 years ago.. They still make current childrens books with artwork of the Toddler Size SFs that were cancelled three years ago..

That's why I thought that press release was a giant joke..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:35 am 
Santos L. Halper

As a matter of fact, there were DC Super Friends products in the Mattel showroom; they just weren't shown at the Mattel collector event. As I mentioned in another thread, I think showroom tours are given primarily to retail buyers, so there are very few photos of the products on collector websites.

One item I recall seeing is a transforming Batcave. It has a lot of features like turrets and elevators and comes with a Batman and Joker figure, but the transforming feature was the coolest because the whole Batcave expands. It's rather large, so I expect that it will show up in the fourth quarter. I did find a handout photo of the Batcave at the toy blog Idle Hands.

One note: Mattel does not make children's books; it licenses out properties to book publishers. Book editors decide which artwork to use.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:24 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

GregNYC wrote:

One note: Mattel does not make children's books; it licenses out properties to book publishers. Book editors decide which artwork to use.

I know that-- but why with everything we are always told are getting denied approvals, on designs (since someone other than the book company has final say) .. Why would anyone (in this situation Mattel)- allow a third party to draw whole childrens books depicting toy characters from a defunct three year old line..

It just continues to show the ineptitude, and obvious confusion all the Mattel/Fisher Price lines continue to run under, not to mention the fact that it undermines everything the WB Brand keeps trying to push-- since it resembles nothing else out there at the moment-- either in design style or merchandising..

The editor can choose new artwork-- or in this case-- actually commission it (which I assume would be from the same design source Mattel uses since I believe they created the style for their packaging (although DC artists may have committed a bit of a style guide since after their toy line the super friends comic was created), but why would anyone let an outdated style be dispersed through the fan base, especially when you continually state you are trying to bring all your brands together..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I don't think that Bat cave has anything to do with the new Super Friends line. Maybe that's the new Batman line but I don't think it's the new super friends toys. According to the press release the new toy line is not supposed to be all Batman Batman Batman. It's supposed to focus on all the heroes especially Superman and wonder woman along with flash and Green Lantern.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:28 am 
Santos L. Halper

stewbacca wrote:
Why would anyone (in this situation Mattel)- allow a third party to draw whole childrens books depicting toy characters from a defunct three year old line..

For money.

The "fan base" in this case is toddlers and preschoolers, who don't know or care how old a toy line is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:18 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

The expanding Batcave in question actually IS for the SuperFriends line, its just that it is specifically the Imaginext SuperFriends line.

This may or may not be the Super Friends line that is alluded to with the upcoming animated shorts release. Even though they are using the artwork from the previous Super Friends pre-school line, we currently have no confirmation as to what style the show will actually use and what product will be tied to it.

So, we are still in a "wait and see" ....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 am 
Peg Hanger

Could somebody give me details about the upcoming Superfriends shorts release?

ThunderCats Wish List: Mumm-Ra (Everliving), Tygra, Panthro, Cheetara, Slithe, Monkian, Vultureman, WilyKit, WilyKat, Snarf, Jaga, Bengali, Pumyra, Lynx-O, Hachiman, Ratar-O, Grune, Snowman, Hammerhand, Ram-Bam, Tuska Warrior, Ma-Mutt, Safari Joe, Mongor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:57 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Comiccrimefighters.com posted an article on Feb 2 stating that the Super Friends line is based on the Imaginext toys so I'm guessing that there won't be any new Wonder Woman figure since she was already released in that line. If that's true, That's a huge disappointment!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:01 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Yeah. The Super Friends line that was mentioned in that press release IS the Imaginext line. They just released a Legion of Doom Hideout (with Lex Luthor). And I suspect a Hall of Justice is coming soon.

The Batcave that was in the showroom is pretty cool. We'll have a video of it in action posted later this week.
It will be coming 4th quarter for the holiday push along with the big dino skeleton and the Mega Zord in the new Imaginext Power Rangers line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:55 am 
Hat Pooper

Any word on what new figures are coming out for the Superfriends line?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 am 
Resin

Giving us a Hall of Justice will put a permanent Kool-Aid grin on my face.