Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 am 
Displays Backwards

GregNYC wrote:
For the past two years, I have purchased two subscriptions. I keep one figure and sell the other on eBay to help defray the tax and shipping costs. But some of the figures just don't sell (Starman, anyone?), and they are taking up valuable space in my tiny apartment.

That's funny, Starman is the only DC sub figure I've ever purchased from Matty at all. I needed him to go with my Legion.

But I can't say I feel badly that your scalping endeavors aren't doing as well as you hoped. I don't like the shipping costs or high price of figures, either, but never have I though reselling was for me.

I would like to see the club make Doomsday and Granny so people would stop complaining about their absence, but the whole thing just seems like a flawed business model which will fail sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 am 
Aspires to be #1

Starman is the only figure I wanted two of.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am 
Displays Backwards

I never thought of myself as a scalper, but I guess I am! :shock:

It's not really worth the effort, when it comes down to the time and energy spent. I sell the figures for $26 each, which is what they cost me after taxes and shipping. But it takes time to list them, then ship them. In the end, it will be easier to just pay $30 for one figure and be done with it.

But my point was to show anecdotally that there was waning interest in the line. But I don't think it's the fault of the collectors. There just aren't that many must-have characters left. And there is no wow factor, like there was with the Legion of Super-Heroes set and Plastic Man. Unless Mattel pulls out the big guns, the line will fade away. Que sera, sera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 am 
declined to be a vampire

GregNYC wrote:
I never thought of myself as a scalper, but I guess I am! :shock:

It's not really worth the effort, when it comes down to the time and energy spent. I sell the figures for $26 each, which is what they cost me after taxes and shipping. But it takes time to list them, then ship them. In the end, it will be easier to just pay $30 for one figure and be done with it.

But my point was to show anecdotally that there was waning interest in the line. But I don't think it's the fault of the collectors. There just aren't that many must-have characters left. And there is no wow factor, like there was with the Legion of Super-Heroes set and Plastic Man. Unless Mattel pulls out the big guns, the line will fade away. Que sera, sera.

I'm going to go right ahead and say it: I have no problem with scalpers, and I've done it myself, and I'd do it again.

I just didn't see there being a point where one could benefit from that...lol.

I would buy a legion set if the'd re-release that. In a heartbeat. I know they sold off some second waves and I missed it.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I'd buy another legion set in the exact same packaging. It's one of the only things I have that's too cool to open.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'm going to be honest: I'm almost at satiation level with DCUC figures. The law of diminishing returns is really starting to apply.
That being said, I'm in for the sub until I get Mera, Ocean Master, and Aqualad (pref. the silver age version). Aquaman's corner of the DC universe has been under-represented in the line. Two characters (and multiple repaints)! I think that's lower than any of the rest of the Big Six (J'onn's only had himself).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
I think that's lower than any of the rest of the Big Six (J'onn's only had himself).

Well there was Je'mm-- and he was truly outrageous.. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 am 
ABS

I'm hoping it will go thru. I want mostly females. They're missing cassie wonder girl, donna troy in her black costume, hypoltya, meta, vixen, bat woman, ice, Hawkgirl (Kendra) Plus we're missing countless males too. I'm definitely in for 2014 if at least 2 or 3 of these figures get produced

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:12 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

We still don't know who the last 3 2013 sub figures are, right? Maybe some of our 2014 wishlist figures are slotted for this year. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Mattel DC figures at Target = $15.99 + $1.12 tax = $17.11 each
Mattel DC Club figures = $18 + $1.95 tax + $9.90 S&H = $29.85 each
I would rather buy the figures at Target or Amazon to save money

Mattel needs a strong list of figures to end the 2013 year, as if it were the last year. Then they need a strong preview of the 2014 line that is awesome enough to get fans to spend nearly $30 per month to buy them. Also they have to keep to the rule, NO "NEW 52" versions in Infinite Earths Club.

I hope to see ICE in the list of the remaining figures for the end of 2013, in case the Infinite Earths Club fails to go into 2014. This way we get Fire and Ice this year. Vixen was on Mattel’s short list and in a poll that they had sent us. I would expect to see Vixen.

What I would like to see at SDCC.
Ice
Vixen
Jade
Hourman (Rick Tyler)
Liberty Belle
Monarch
Atomic Skull
Ocean Master
Doctor Polaris
Doctor Light

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:16 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

It's sad i truly love this line and have been a completest since day one. But i've grown sick of Mattels constant blaming us for it's failure or bullying us that if we don't do this or that they'll cancel it or it will need to be more expensive. I'm sticking with the sub for the love of these figures, but in a way i kind of want it to take its final bow after all of Mattels constant screw ups. I've already moved onto Hot Toys and love it, but as much i love collecting those i just wish DC Universe classics was going strong still as it was always my dream to have a awesome six inch dc line like classics once was. But any ways here's what i hope to see next year.

club exclusive: a larger doomsday or granny
sdcc exclusive: Shinning Knight with Victory

1. Tim Drake in his original robin costume
2. Batwoman
3. Aqualad
4. Ocean Master
5. Ra's al ghul
6. Talia
7. The Trickster
8. Superboy (tee shirt and jeans)
9. Miss Martain
10. Kyle Rayner 90's
11. The Ventriloquist and Scarface
12. General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Mattel DC figures at Target/WM/TRU - 50,000 figures produced
Mattel DC Club figures = 5,000 figures produced
* These are made up numbers just to illustrate a point

Lower quantities = higher prices. Obscure characters either get produced in the sub or they don't. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 am 
declined to be a vampire

Wildcard wrote:
Mattel DC figures at Target/WM/TRU - 50,000 figures produced
Mattel DC Club figures = 5,000 figures produced
* These are made up numbers just to illustrate a point

Lower quantities = higher prices. Obscure characters either get produced in the sub or they don't. Simple as that.

Although that's not entirely true. Depending on what retailer you go to, you will see the DC Unlimited/DCUC figures for 17 or 18 bucks or higher.

So while in theory that's nice, the extra cost we are getting jabbed is the shipping of 9 bucks. Their figures are not costing that much more (and in some cases cheaper) than what you find at retail.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

So pick the quarterly shipment option. That will cut down on the shipping significantly.

Problem solved.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:59 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

It is questionable on how long this line can go on. I know a few people loved the Orange, Blue and Red Corp leaders, but I felt these were a waste of a slots. Same with Red Hood. This years offerings were far from the wow factor. Instead of doing a Huntress that hasn't been done before, we're getting a Hush Huntress, right? I already have that figure in the Jim Lee DCD line. Something I've always told myself is when something stops being fun I'll quit it and Matty has got me just about there. I love the work the 4H do, but the total cost of this sub isn't paying off for my collection. If this is Matty's line up, I can see why retailers wouldn't bite for them on a store level. This is the 3rd subscription(If it goes through). By now all the kinks should be worked out, shipping, DR, and a stellar line up. For me to re-up for another year I need Matty to step up and show us more than 4 mock ups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next