Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 am 
active in the community

bought 3 subs. fingers crossed that they'll still push it through even tho the required amount of subs looks to fall short.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:12 am 
Tis' but a pup

This dedication goes out to Toy Guru/Matty Bean Counters and BBTS - you will BOTH make money if the sub goes ahead - if BBTS could sell out their Bizarro pre-order, think about what they will make off Damian and Doomsday (yes, even the containment suit variant). And while you at it, BBTS, you should push for the eventual release of the unleashed version. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g--Vlij1X1Y

Want List: DCCIE/DCUC: 1.Liberty Belle (Jessie) 2.Ms. Martian 3.Talia Al Ghul 4.Wonder Girl (Cassie) 5.Commissioner Gordon 6.Scarecrow 7.Flash Rogues (Heat Wave, Trickster, Weather Wizard) 8.General Zod 9.Vandal Savage 10. Speedy and Aqualad(original)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:17 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I keep having this image of Scott hitting F5 on Matty while looking at the clock for the afternoon meeting with the bean counters.
:lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:19 am 
shirtless hugger

Well, the DC and MOTU subs are "sold out." Ecto-1 by itself is "no longer available," but Peter, Ray, and the bundle are still up.

Make of that what you will.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:25 am 
Aspires to be #1

Batzarro wrote:
This dedication goes out to Toy Guru/Matty Bean Counters and BBTS - you will BOTH make money if the sub goes ahead - if BBTS could sell out their Bizarro pre-order, think about what they will make off Damian and Doomsday (yes, even the containment suit variant). And while you at it, BBTS, you should push for the eventual release of the unleashed version. :wink:

I don't think Mattel cares if BBTS can make money by marking up their figures. Mattel has to make enough money first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:26 am 
Cold-cast

Superpowers1980 wrote:
I understand economics, but what you fail to realize is that in order for retailers to of sold figures for 15.00 then they had to pay a considerable amount less than 15.00. Now that the middle man is not there and Matty sells directly + your explanation an 18.00 figure is plausible. 20.00 is too much, especially considering DC has a larger fan base than MOTUC. The price hike in today's economy is for these figures is not reasonable, or at least where they are for 2014. It still probably cost Mattel less than a dollar to produce per figure and a steady price of 18.00 is a decent profit instead of 20.00, plus they are probably getting insane cheap shipping from digital river which is why they keep them around.

I really don't think it's the price of the figure that is the problem. Although they are higher priced than they should be, I think people are willing to pay that. Add in the ridiculous price Digital River charges for shipping & things get out of hand. If I can walk into my local post office & ship that same figure for half or even less of what DR is charging there is a problem. Because I am pretty sure with the quantity that they ship, they get even better rates from shipping companies. I realize they are now doing the quarterly shipping to help people save money. But that is not a solution. All that means is people will get certain figures much later than they came out & if in all probability they get a defective figure there might not be any stock left to replace it after a couple months have passed. Solution to all this would be for DR to start charging actually shipping prices instead of price gouging to make profit off shipping. That is one thing that would make the fans happier & more willing to purchase items/subs.

shabbyblue wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
I wonder if they'll bother updating the totals again today or just leave them where they are.

I suspect the 39% to 51% jump over the weekend was mostly due to BBTS or other e-tailers placing their orders rather than individual subscribers jumping on at the last minute. I think it's safe to say at this point that the sub is dead. It's not going to gain another 50% within the few remaining hours. :(

However, I'm somewhat amused that MOTUC hasn't hit its goal yet with only a few hours left. It's at 84% after the weekend jump, so can it really secure another 16% in these last hours? Sorry to those who are rooting for the He-Man sub to suceed, but I'm going to laugh if it ends up failing too. It has always been the flagship collector line that DCUC and JLU has taken a backseat to on Mattycollector.com, with some resentment from myself and others. So if it really does fail, Mattycollector.com is going to look pretty pathetic next year with no more collector lines to sell. :)

We should all know how it feels for our favorite line to end. I won't laugh at anyone. It's just sad that mattel could have done something to fix the problems, but just never really cared to try. I thin MOTU is going to make it. Even if it stays at the supposed 91% it is at now, they will push it through.

shabbyblue wrote:
zaxilla2 wrote:
From the looks of the promo pic and that video, those Doomsday figures have already been made.

I'm of the opinion that "Unleashed Doomsday" was sculpted by the 4H at least 3 years ago if not longer and Mattel has been sitting on him forever, despite fan demand for the figure. He was on MANY rumor lists before DCUC ended -- some of which had other figures that DID get released in the final few DCUC waves, so you can't discount the rumored C&C Doomsday as just wishful thinking from fans. I'm betting Mattel originally held him back in anticipation of a possible Superman Classics sub-line to tie in with the release of the Man of Steel movie, similar to the Green Lantern Classics and Batman Unlimited lines... but obviously it didn't play out that way.

And now they've been dangling that big carrot in front of us in hopes we'd all buy into another year of their sub all the way up to Tier 2 to get him. Obviously the sub is going to fail, so is Mattel going to continue to sit on the figure, refusing to release it, even though they know they can sell him for a premium price by himself? :(

The best way to guarantee that we at least got one Doomsday was for everyone to band together & buy a sub. I wanted Doomsday, so I bought one. Is there a possibility that when the sub fails somehow Doomsday will get released? I think it's pretty probable since they are already payed for him to be tooled. mattel don't want to lose that money. Even it is true that he was sculpted before & they sat on him, they never revealed the figure. Now that they have he will probably get released in some way. But they will most likely play a bunch of games with the fans much like they did with the last JLU figures. Eventually he will be released. What the price is will be is another story, though. I'm guessing they will charge anywhere from $100 to $200 due to his " low production run " :roll:

Ham Salad wrote:
Well, the DC and MOTU subs are "sold out." Ecto-1 by itself is "no longer available," but Peter, Ray, and the bundle are still up.

Make of that what you will.

I'm guessing with the percentage for DCIE, it didn't make it. But you never know, miraculously that other 50% could have showed up in the last hour. lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Despite your claims, Doomsday hasn't been tooled. Watch the video on the different versions of Doomsday, the unleashed one has spikes broken off of it. The spikes would be made of PVC on a production sample just like they'd be on the finished product not fragile urethane/resin like a paint master. And looking at the photos from SDCC the one on display doesn't have the ponytail properly attached leaving the metal pin holding it in visible, again not the way a production sample would be produced or assembled.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

I'm not sure why this keeps getting missed, but sufficient customer arrice stick is being held back for all quarterly shipping subs. This has been addressed several times, but folks still haven't gotten that yet.

And correct, Doomsday isn't tooled, which is why tier 2 needed to be hit to justify paying to cut the steel.

Hopefully there's good news in the future. We needed the big retailers to order like 25-40% of the total tally.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am 
Tis' but a pup

j1h15233 wrote:
Batzarro wrote:

I don't think Mattel cares if BBTS can make money by marking up their figures. Mattel has to make enough money first.

Agreed. But in some ways their needs are complimentary. Matty arguably needs BBTS to buy enough subs to keep DCIE afloat. BBTS wants these figures to make $$$ and attract those buying these figures to their site where some will also buy other merch. Who else can Matty potentially squeeze for some extra subs in order to placate the bean counters and push this through for this year? Maybe Matty guarantees some extra Damian and Superboy figs to offset BBTS's sub commitment to this year's Rocket Red or Phantom Stranger type entries (which will continue to "warm pegs" in the BBTS warehouse for some time). Matty regularly uses BBTS to offload "old" stock like the DCUC Swamp things and Two-packs I previously mentioned as well as some of the JLU Matty Exclusives (there are some nice deals here for those wanting more JLU: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/sear ... 0exclusive ). So they do have an ongoing, special relationship. If it's close to going forward, (and I suspect it is) I'd be quite surprised if Matty wrote off the sub without having first contacted BBTS to see if they're able to work out something that sees BBTS taking more subs in exchange for ...
At the end of the day, they both stand to benefit more from this thing going ahead.

Want List: DCCIE/DCUC: 1.Liberty Belle (Jessie) 2.Ms. Martian 3.Talia Al Ghul 4.Wonder Girl (Cassie) 5.Commissioner Gordon 6.Scarecrow 7.Flash Rogues (Heat Wave, Trickster, Weather Wizard) 8.General Zod 9.Vandal Savage 10. Speedy and Aqualad(original)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am 
4" scale

Final tally is 63%

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Wildcard wrote:
Final tally is 63%

Well thanks for coming, just turn the light off when you leave!

Man I hope they say they'll go through with the years basic figures and just move the Doomsdays to separate pre-orders/exclusives.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 am 
ABS

I'm sure theres some way the can go through with the sub but lower the production numbers, thus less amounts of product for less subscribers. It should work out without the meter or not, base it off of how many subscribers you have. There is a fan base, its not like it doesn't exist. Thats what mattycollector is for after all. I want the figures revealed so far, but I also want the rest of the sub as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am 
Tis' but a pup

elvis8batman wrote:
Wildcard wrote:
Final tally is 63%

Well thanks for coming, just turn the light off when you leave!

Perhaps... Although, if it was a foregone conclusion wouldn't they have put up the "no longer for sale" sign like with the Ecto-1, instead of the "sold out" sign? I'm neither a Toy Guru fan nor hater. However, I suspect that he's trying to work out a way have the sub continue because (amongst other reasons) it will reflect poorly on him if it dies. I'm not saying he will ultimately succeed. However, they have obtained the financial commitment of a chunk of those who will buy the figures. Does it make sense to drop that and overproduce ol' hookhand and Ice rather than exploring other internal ways of making the numbers work that could be win-win for fans and Matty? Also, I'm still not convinced that the 63% represents all of the subs that BBTS and other shops(?) will end up purchasing...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 am 
Aspires to be #1

My reasons for collecting toys, for visiting here and for having anything to do with Mattel have dwindled to almost zero now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:06 am 
4" scale

See ya! Don't let the door hit you on your way out :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 47  Next