Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:44 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Ah, as Matty sub season draws to a close, let's say farewell to that most wonderful time of year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 pm 
Mattel Mogul

We've got some details on the news section now, but basically, without hitting the min for tier 1, we won't be able to do the full year as advertised/planned. We are reviewing options including releasing the first three figures and Damien quarterly, or even doing all 12 as non sub items but at much higher prices ($30-$35.00) but their is also the very real possibility that 2013 may also be the final releases. It will take us a few weeks to even a month or two to figure out and possible options, so I do ask for everyone's patients. Likely any announcements will come at an upcoming con or NYTF.

Aside from that, I do really want to come out and thank everyone. It is the fans that make these lines possible and it is because of you're passion we are able to release so many amazing figures. The last two years really filled in a lot of MIA and fan demanded characters. Personally as a collector I am so grateful we've had CIE to get us Flash 1&3, Huntress, Elongated Man, The complete Doom Patrol and Metal Men, Poison Ivy, the lantern Leaders, Golden Age GL and a whole splattering of others that really help make the line. At the end of the day everyone has a must have figure that may not be in the line. The DC Universe is that vast and impressive! But for the areas we did hit, I feel damn proud.

And also, as a fellow collector, I do often see the silver lining when a line winds down as that really lets you "own them all". I love that I have every single JLU fig (except an all green Luthor darn it!) and I'm really looking forward to having every DCUC figure. Be nice to have a complete set.

I'll pop into the Ask Matty forums but please know we won't have any announcements about possible 2014 releases for a little while.

Thank you all again. Thanks for your support, your business, and your passion for this line. I love DCUC and it has really been a privilege being involved and I hope to have some info to stare soon on what might be a available in 2014 and beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
4" scale

I'd be open to having all 12 figures at non-sub prices! Better yet, how about another 12-pack since your resources are no longer focused on retail or sub lines?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Me too, I'd be totally up for higher prices if that means I get more DCSC items. I'm exactly the customer Matty was looking for as far as the sub goes, what can I say? Too bad there wasn't more of me out there.

Thanks to Toyguru for popping in and letting us know what was up. It's obviously disappointing, but I'm hopeful my shelves will be stocked with new DCSC items for some time yet.

One question, though...as far as 100% tool'ed figures go, what does Matty have to lose in putting up a pre-order for, example, Granny Goodness? Just use a stock Granny pic and a meter, and see what happens? Seems to me like there's nothing to lose and so much to gain...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:52 pm 
An Insider

Thanks for popping in Scott. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the hard work and dedication you have put into this line. It's been an amazing run and there has never been another DC line that has given us so many different characters in a single style. It is one of the highlights of my collection. I started collecting the Four Horseman DC figures with DC Superheroes and have been grabbing every figure in each version of the line whether it be DC Universe or Batman Legacy. It's been a great run and it's amazing to think I started collecting this line while in college and have recently been enjoying it with my 2 year old son. Thanks again Scott for making a truly fan driven line! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm 
Brand Manager

ToyGuru wrote:
And also, as a fellow collector, I do often see the silver lining when a line winds down as that really lets you "own them all".

Don't think it was the line winding down as much as people no longer being able to make a blind/mystery $275 dollar purchase, and possibly having to act as Matty's Ebay retailer. I'm sure customers will come back once the system gets the right tweaks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:45 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I don't know. $35 for a 6 inch figure is well past my limit.

Maybe for Aquaman. Probably not Ice.

But I'm not paying that much for a Superboy remake.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:52 pm 
4" scale

Back in the 90s, collector figures like Warrior Nun Areala, Usagi Yojimbo and the Moore Action Collectibles figures were going for $40-$60. The quality of Mattel's figures are leaps and bounds above those. And sadly, while I would love to pay just $15-$20 for these, these are now relegated to the specialty market collector figures. Likewise, at that price, I'm sure people will be picking and choosing which is expected but also is the reason for such pricing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:55 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Shellhead wrote:
I don't know. $35 for a 6 inch figure is well past my limit.

Maybe for Aquaman. Probably not Ice.

But I'm not paying that much for a Superboy remake.

There's not a single 6" figure (past or present) that I'd pay $35 for. So I'm willing to concede defeat and call it quits on 4H styled DC figures.

Now I just want my refund. Please and thank you.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:58 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I think maybe they need to go back to the 2-pack model. That way one popular character can be paired with an obscure one. That should balance the risk of being stuck with a less popular figure in backstock while not turning off cherry pickers who might only want one of the figures. At least the cherry-pickers are only looking at one extra figure and not potentially 12 of them. And they'd have an easier time eBaying one of them, because no one would have the chance to buy it individually.

But then, YJ Superboy and Miss Martian failed with the same 2-pack pre-order model. So I'm not optimistic. We could see a very conservative experiment if anything, with only the most popular characters being attempted. I bet we could also see cutbacks in articulation as part of the experiment. I wouldn't have minded that on female figures like Fire and Ice so they could look smoother, but it sure would look weird now to see those two mismatched in articulation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:07 pm 

Another idea is to go big like the Legion set. Maybe not that big, but something between $100-150 with one oversized figure and 5 or 6 regular ones. Can anyone think of a good boxed set that could have Doomsday as an anchor to it? Remember the Infinite Heroes Doomsday pack also came with Ice. Convenient. :P I just hope they wouldn't get crazy and use Prison Doomsday in it as a chase variant. :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:12 pm 

How about for $135-150 a boxed set with Unleashed Doomsday, Super Powers Superman, Ice, translucent variant of Fire, Connor Kent Superboy and hooked Aquaman?

They could save Damien for a similar Batman-themed set later in the year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:17 pm 
Aspires to be #1

JediJones wrote:
How about for $135-150 a boxed set with Unleashed Doomsday, Super Powers Superman, Ice, translucent variant of Fire, Connor Kent Superboy and hooked Aquaman?

They could save Damien for a similar Batman-themed set later in the year.

I don't think I'd pay 35 for that.

I would love to see all 12 released at higher prices though. At least that way if there was one I had to have it would be available.

I like how we finished the Doom Patrol and Lantern leaders too...cough...Chief and Indigo - 1....cough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 pm 
shirtless hugger

Well, I'm disappointed that the subscription did not go through, but I'm hopeful that Mattel will find a way to release a few more figures.

I really do like that hook-hand Aquaman, and I'd like to have Ice to go with Fire. I'm not so hot on Superboy; his sculpt is not as good as the one that DC Direct did a few years ago. Unfortunately, I sold that one on eBay a couple of months ago. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:44 pm 

j1h15233 wrote:
I don't think I'd pay 35 for that.

I would love to see all 12 released at higher prices though. At least that way if there was one I had to have it would be available.

Any one you wanted would be available loose on eBay from people breaking up the sets, just like happened to the SDCC ML sets. Those of us who have a complete collection would rather not pay $60 shipping for 6 figures when we could pay $15 shipping for the same in a boxed set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 47  Next