Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:08 pm 
ABS

UncleMarsellus wrote:
Superpowers1980 wrote:
IMO, the DC sub failed because Mattel didn't put enough interest in the line. DC is wayyy more popular than MOTU but MOTU has been a dead line for so long I can bet they are produced at lower numbers than the DC figures.

So let me get this straight. MOTU just won a popularity contest of sorts and DC is "wayyy more popular?" How do you figure? :lol:

Sorry, I don't care either way but I thought that was funny. :D

I believe the amount of subs for MOTU are probably lower than what is needed to DCIE. Example - MOTU may need 10,000 to reach 100% while DC needs 20,000 to reach 100%. Those numbers are made up but it is an idea to show you what I mean. I do believe I read somewhere years ago that the DC sub requires more subscribers than MOTU. Also like it was mentioned, MOTU has limited exposure, there is one company basically making one set of figures. DC has multiple companies making various kinds of figures for them then factor in that these companies generally makes the same characters. There really is no comparison in popularity, MOTU is nowhere near DC. Even with retail DC had four lines at retail MOS, Imaginext, Batman Unlimitd, and those Target figures and that is not including the other companies producing DC figures, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Shellhead wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Ghostbusters -- CANCELLED. who cares? crappy 80's movie, dumb license

You're showing your youth here.
Ghostbusters is the 33rd highest grossing movie of all-time (inflation adjusted it made over half a billion in today dollars). 96% rating on Rottentomatoes and it spawned a hugely successful cartoon and moderately successful toy line in the 80's. Not to mention the song and multiple video games.
Granted, it's much more of a Gen X thing, but I'd bet Ghostbusters is more ingrained in pop culture than Thundercats or He-man.
Krull was a crappy 80's movie. Beastmaster was a crappy 80's movie.
Ghostbusters was a masterpiece.

Now, kid, get off my lawn. :P

Like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
Collector Inspector

Ha, yeah, I hate to do this, but Shellhead gets the slowclap. It shouldn't be a generational thing, Ghostbusters is like a national treasure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:16 pm 
declined to be a vampire

funtime3 wrote:
Ha, yeah, I hate to do this, but Shellhead gets the slowclap. It shouldn't be a generational thing, Ghostbusters is like a national treasure.

I just never got into Ghostbusters either.
I loved the toys, but never got into the movies.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I'll bash the 2nd movie any time but the 1st one truly is an American treasure. Of course comedy doesn't always work the same on a younger generation that it did originally. Something like the Marshmallow Man's first appearance can't have the same impact now that it did on those of us who saw it in the theater for the first time and had never seen nor heard of the monster before. But the movie was more than a comedy, it did a masterful job establishing a new sci-fi/fantasy mythos that gave all the spin-off cartoons, comics and storylines so much to work with. Not to mention, how many movies today succeed at creating a cast of characters this endearing, distinct and that work so well together on screen? The movie may start out in the well-established "Animal House" genre of misbehaving smart-alecks and socially awkward nerds chasing after hot women and upsetting the stuffed shirts, but it becomes something truly original, inspired and influential once the ghostbusting begins. Its logo, theme song, "Slimer" and the Marshmallow Man retain iconic status in pop culture to this day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:48 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Look, the second movie sucked big time.
But if you don't get why the first one was awesome . . . I just can't help you.

Man, some of you guys are really making me feel old. :shock:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:36 pm 
Mattel Mogul

Sorry, I don't care either way but I thought that was funny. :D[/quote]
I believe the amount of subs for MOTU are probably lower than what is needed to DCIE. Example - MOTU may need 10,000 to reach 100% while DC needs 20,000 to reach 100%. Those numbers are made up but it is an idea to show you what I mean. I do believe I read somewhere years ago that the DC sub requires more subscribers than MOTU. Also like it was mentioned, MOTU has limited exposure, there is one company basically making one set of figures. DC has multiple companies making various kinds of figures for them then factor in that these companies generally makes the same characters. There really is no comparison in popularity, MOTU is nowhere near DC. Even with retail DC had four lines at retail MOS, Imaginext, Batman Unlimitd, and those Target figures and that is not including the other companies producing DC figures, etc.[/quote]

Actually it is the opposite. Motu hit 115% of tier 2. Motu was opporating at tier 2 level since we added beasts and quarterly items.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:45 pm 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Scott, thanks for taking the time to come here & post & answer questions; we do appreciate it. Hopefully some of the DC characters meant for te 2014 sub can be released on Mattycollector in some fashion next year. Consider the unleashed Doomsday at a higher pricepoint, you know we need it, and you know folks want it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:11 pm 
shirtless hugger

I received my DCIE Fire today. I desperately hope that Ice finds a way to my collection so I have the JLI girls. They really should have been a two pack....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

My regular sub shipment is over in INDIANA for some reason. It started in California, went to Neveda, and is now in Indiana. That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

On the other hand, my Shokoti that I ordered off the site last week arrived yesterday. Weren't sub holders supposed to get sub product a little earlier? :roll:

DR has some of the worst shipping ever.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 pm 
Fugitive Dust

On the JLU threads, I used to disagree with pretty much everything Shellhead ever posted, and I suspect that tweaking the JLU fans was at least part of the reason he posted on those threads about a line he didn't collect and had no interest in collecting. However, his post defending Ghostbusters may be the single best post in this entire thread. Well said!

Love or hate Scott, you've gotta give ToyGuru credit for continuing to communicate with fans while taking so much abuse. I really don't think any of us who don't work for Mattel have enough information to judge his job performance to the degree we do. Yeah, I think there have been some unpopular decisions, but I don't think we need to get so personal in expressing our dislike of them. I know I've had jobs where I haven't been happy with everything I've produced, but I've done the best I could given the constraints of the job. I look at the totality of JLU or DCUC and, despite a few dud figures, think those are pretty awesome accomplishments.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm 
ABS

I just want mattel figures. I don't care how or where, just make them and I will buy them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:30 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

princeofpop98 wrote:
I just want mattel figures. I don't care how or where, just make them and I will buy them.

Without 6" 4H styled DC figures, unfortunately there's nothing left for me to buy from Mattel. :( I've reached saturation with MOTUC, and Young Justice is no more. But I'm not willing to overpay for figures (over $25) to continue collecting them. Whatever Mattel's plan is, I hope it includes (somehow) making the figures affordable even with a much lower production run. If that's not within the realm of possibility, I'll leave it to you truly hardcore collectors (with lot's of expendable income) to keep buying.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 pm 
shirtless hugger

UncleMarsellus wrote:

So let me get this straight. MOTU just won a popularity contest of sorts and DC is "wayyy more popular?" How do you figure? :lol:

I would say that MOTU collectors can only get their fix from one place, the sub, while DC fans have more options. There are Mattel figs in stores now, they have several lines (the Target JL figs, the Batman stuff, Batman '66, Man of Steel, DCU/Batman U), plus some more upcoming (the themed 3 3/4 inch line and the cheap 6 inch line.) Sure, some of those lines are dead or dying, and I know a lot of people here want as many DC characters as they can get in a 6 inch figure (though they will fight endlessly about exactly who should be made first), but their is a bunch of DC product. For He-Man, it's the sub or nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 pm 
shirtless hugger

j1h15233 wrote:
I wasn't whining at all. I don't even know how that comes across as whining. It was, as I stated, my opinion on those lines. And Shell, I know it's a popular movie but its almost 30 years old, it felt dated to me when I watched it as a kid, and there aren't a ton of options for product (and Back to the Future was worse product wise, love those movies). Not to mention that they're trying to sell the stuff on a poorly run website that most people still don't know about. I felt from day one that they were bad investments for Mattel and judging by the lack of product and support, it seems like I was right.

Well you insulted Ghostbusters and I loved those guys. Maybe not the second film, though.

But the DC line didn't die because of GB or Back to the Future. It died on it's own. I'm sorry you guys won't be getting the figs you want in the future, (even though the endless complaining about the figs that Matty DID make was annoying, there is a difference between being passionate and being a spoiled child) but subbing for a bunch of unknown figures at a high cost seems like a terrible business model to me. I'm surprised it lasted two years. The other subs they've had only lasted one (GB, Voltron, the WWE Legends though they weren't a sub), except for MOTU which is going into it's fifth year - they have a passionate fanbase, for sure.

It is what it is, man. Not a great time to be collecting classic DC 6 inch figs - but I really like the New 52 DCC figs so I still have stuff to look forward to, glad I didn't stubbornly reject the reboot - but there are a lot of action figure lines that are hurting these days. Then again, there is some cool stuff, too - I got a couple Star Wars Black figures and like them a lot. We just have to play the hand we're dealt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 47  Next