Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:11 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

stewbacca wrote:
Your next statement also shows how splintered we all are-- I bought Uncle Sam -- not because of his comic apperances- but because hes Uncle' freaking' Sam-- and their are no good figures of him-- I think Mattel missed the boat on him- by not pushing him on the WWII /American Legion related sites--He is one of the coolest figures that they have designed and released (and will match up good with the 4 Horseman Eagle figure)-- And I had to look up Amazing Man--I look at him and go -- why would anyone pick up some 70s reject with a day glo god awful costume-if they announced that figure I would think Mattel had gone even more off the deep end than that Red Hood Announcement..- Although I belive every one should agree-- Kamandi just sucks--

LOL, yeah, how could anyone think Amazing Man would make a better figure than Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam is iconic and can be used for all kinds of purposes in your collection, not just as a DC character. Someone should strap Matty's leftovers on their back and sell them as souvenirs at the next Republican convention. I'm not familiar with the Amazing Man character but based on Google images, it would have become the biggest pegwarmer in DCU to date.

Although I do disagree with you on Kamandi. I think it's a well-sculpted, cool-looking figure. It fits in well with either He-Man or Marvel's Savage Land figures. The only reason it pegwarmed was because it was the only non-famous character in the wave packed 2-per-case instead of 1-per-case.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm 
Damage Control

batfink wrote:
DC Collectibles could produce a 6 inch "generic" line that fits into DCUC. They could also produce JLU scale animated figures. But they don't, probably because they did not want to compete with Mattel's lines.

But that time is over, since Mattel decided to do their "let's randomly mess with scale for no reason" thing.

DC Collectibles should do the following:

1.) Hire a former Mattel or Hasbro exec to set up large-scale production and distribution of their toys
I do not think that DC Collectibles wants to be or can afford to be as large as Mattel.

2.) Wait until their contract with Mattel is over
There is no reason why DC and Mattel cannot continue to work together.

3.) Drop Mattel like fifth period French and take control of how their intellectual property is designed, marketed and sold
DC and Mattel work together for character selection and approval of the figures throughout the stages of development. DC has to approve what Mattel makes with their license.

Mattel has made some awesome DC figures over the years and have a far better Retail reach than DC Collectibles has.

I prefer the 6" DC figures that the Four Horseman have sculpted over what DC Collectibles has offered in that scale.

If DC Collectibles can finally get busy on a stable line of DC Comics 4" figures for comic book stores, I would buy them. I'm talking about switching from the 4" INJUSTICE figures to comic book styled figures.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:20 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

There clearly is still a large fan base of people wanting DCUC styled 4H sculpted figures. I brought subs each year and even broke with my own limits and brought two this year just because I wanted to try and help it go through.

I think Mattel, DC Entertainment and WB need to sit down and consider where they're going from here on in.

I hope we see the revealed figures from the sub make it out. Especially the unleashed Doomsday (although I'd like both versions).

It would be great if in a years time, Mattel decide to rebrand DCUC at retail, following the DC Superheroes plan with the line being led by Batman and Superman, with peppered in supporting characters from the DC Universe. There really aren't many characters that haven't come into contact with those two so any classic character could feasibly be included in the waves.

If Mattel no longer wish to continue, then I would like to see DCC take over and continue the line with the exact scale and articulation of DCUC and create a DC Collectibles Classics line. Re-create the bucks from DCUC and either hire the 4H or get sculptors that can mimic the design of the line so far.

There are still far too many characters and versions of characters that are yet to be made to fill out the line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:52 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Is there any chance those who did subscribe might get a thank you gift from Mattel like the Ghostbusters subscribers got when their sub didn't go through? That would certainly be a nice consolation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:07 pm 

Free Death of Superman issue with Superman scrawled out and DCU written over it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 pm 
Fugitive Dust

stewbacca wrote:

I agree with some of your statements-- but some you just head off the deep end..--

And although collectors dont want to pay the higher price- I am fine with "slightly" higher- if I can still cherry pick--- however I dont see collectors balking at not being able to afford to purchase three figures at increased cost.. I dont know many people who buy 2 of the same figure any more, let alone 3 (of a non army builder)-- so this is a very very tiny issue for all of us collectors-- especially the loose figures are better club.

I dont think they will get retailer support if they are absent from the shelves too long (and continue the FU 52 designs)-- and if they did-- they would just go back to the well and start with the BIG 7 again- Look at Hasbro-- Legends died for a little bit and when they came back-- (and although we do get some obscures-- the bulk is still Spidey, Wolvie, Cap, Thor and Iron Man)

Your next statement also shows how splintered we all are-- I bought Uncle Sam -- not because of his comic apperances- but because hes Uncle' freaking' Sam-- and their are no good figures of him-- I think Mattel missed the boat on him- by not pushing him on the WWII /American Legion related sites--He is one of the coolest figures that they have designed and released (and will match up good with the 4 Horseman Eagle figure)-- And I had to look up Amazing Man--I look at him and go -- why would anyone pick up some 70s reject with a day glo god awful costume-if they announced that figure I would think Mattel had gone even more off the deep end than that Red Hood Announcement..- Although I belive every one should agree-- Kamandi just sucks-- (maybe if you packaged him like Prince Adam (and put one of the Manimal guys as the main figure- it might have been passable)-- but as a retail figure -- are you kidding me maybe if this was the 80s and he was in a hair band-- but I think I was still seeing him on the shelves as late as christmas last year..

I do of course agree there should always be more villians (the Marvel Legends villian only wave - was still one of my favorites)

Why should DC give up their paid advertising space advocating you buy some other companys products (and essentially a competiting group since the publishing group is closer to the DC collectibles group than the licensing group)- its up to Mattel to buy that space, not for DC to give it away (they could negotiate a better price for what is being advertised-- once again up to how they do business.)

Also in regards to Superman-- if they never tool another superman figure that would be to soon-- do you really not buy a figure because of the legs? Once again maybe some people dont- -but Im not one of them...

I think it just goes to show-- there are too many issues that even the customer base does not agree with what we want--(well other than no 52 figures)- like that horrible hoody wearing Captain Cold - I just saw at the comic book shop this week.)

Going off the deep in is relative...I have read some wayward comments on here and thought the same thing.

Regarding multiple purchases, it helps a line when there are collectors buying multiple figures. I buy three of every DCUC/IE figure and I am sure there are others. It would be best practice to sell figures at a resonable price for all types of collectors than none at all, or dwindling down the fan base even further with high prices.

Doesn't make a difference how they bring it back to retail, even if it is heavy on the main characters...that is to be expected in the way figures are purchased today.

Amazing man is cool, just because you don't know him doesn't mean he isn't a decent character. Also if you see a 70's day glo character in Amazing man you need to do a search again. I know many collectors who buy figures just based on the look. He would also make great custom fodder as well. Lastly, Uncle Sam sucked, for every one person that likes him there are 15 or more who could give a rats buttnugget about him..LOL. There were people excited about Kamandi but at the end of the day he is a teenage boy with Fabio hair and cut off jeans.....disgusting and not shelf worthy and MOST people hated the figure.

Also why would you be against or think it pointless to make a new Superman figure? We have multiple versions of every main character so it doesn't make a difference but the truth is the face isn't sculpted with the same level of detail as others in the line, he fits ok but it could be a heck of a lot better. Recently a prototype of the cancelled Super Powers Superman was up on ebay and it went for almost 200 bucks and people have continued to complain about its cancelled release since it was shown. There is a market for it, you are just nitpicking. That Superman we have is not a classic Superman, its a good enough stand in but why can't we have the definitive classic Superman?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:29 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

TrekkerGI wrote:
Indigo-1 (and let's complete the main representatives of the Lantern Corps)
Jade (let's complete Alan Scott's family)
Miss Martian (because you can never have too many green chicks)
Dawnstar (and there's those wings again).

Those are high on my wish list, all within my top 20.

Some of the biggest holes for me are:

Mera
Speedy (classic Roy Harper)
Aqualad (Garth)
Vandal Savage
Circe
Batwoman
Talia

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:38 pm 
Fugitive Dust

JediJones wrote:
stewbacca wrote:
Your next statement also shows how splintered we all are-- I bought Uncle Sam -- not because of his comic apperances- but because hes Uncle' freaking' Sam-- and their are no good figures of him-- I think Mattel missed the boat on him- by not pushing him on the WWII /American Legion related sites--He is one of the coolest figures that they have designed and released (and will match up good with the 4 Horseman Eagle figure)-- And I had to look up Amazing Man--I look at him and go -- why would anyone pick up some 70s reject with a day glo god awful costume-if they announced that figure I would think Mattel had gone even more off the deep end than that Red Hood Announcement..- Although I belive every one should agree-- Kamandi just sucks--

LOL, yeah, how could anyone think Amazing Man would make a better figure than Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam is iconic and can be used for all kinds of purposes in your collection, not just as a DC character. Someone should strap Matty's leftovers on their back and sell them as souvenirs at the next Republican convention. I'm not familiar with the Amazing Man character but based on Google images, it would have become the biggest pegwarmer in DCU to date.

Although I do disagree with you on Kamandi. I think it's a well-sculpted, cool-looking figure. It fits in well with either He-Man or Marvel's Savage Land figures. The only reason it pegwarmed was because it was the only non-famous character in the wave packed 2-per-case instead of 1-per-case.

You just praised Kamandi as a figure, you are probably the first and only person to say that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 pm 
Cold-cast

All I ever wanted was Super Power's Kalibal, Royal Flush Gang and Felix Faust.

Why is it so difficult for Scott to deliver?
Why random dark figures in combo with new 52 s@#$?
Even the SDCC exclusive shazam, are you kidding me? the whole purpose of the line back in 2008 was to resurrect classics and since Mattel / DC new management after WB takeover saw low profit margins they decided to explode and market current comic material, and that meant for us hardcore comic purist collectors hell.

I mean I am very thankful to Scott and the team for delivering hundreds of figures only that I would imagine made in my dreams such a Golden Pharaoh or Apache Chief, The Wonder Twins OMG!, but seriously if this model has proven something is that you need to listen to the fans, DC CIE is for collectors not millionaires, we want to finish that Super Power Collection, we don't want 2 levels subs, at least i don't need doomsday in prison custom, just the damn guy of tier 2, why do you make it o difficult for us to support you? Why did MOTU worked perfectly even tho they make ultra rare characters?, because fans have a voice!

Hope fully they can still bring some figures even if that means ridiculous prices or something, but real figures we want, maybe made to order like castle greyskull.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 pm 

Superpowers1980 wrote:
You just praised Kamandi as a figure, you are probably the first and only person to say that.

Shanna needs a toyboy for when Ka-zar is off on the hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 am 
Collector Inspector

Yeah, I don't know what it is with people's fixation in constantly bringing up Kamandi and how he is a half-naked boy with 70's hair in cut -ff jeans. Meanwhile Marvel has their share of half naked long-haired action figures. And, He-Man anyone? And what's with those Wrestling figures all over the toy aisles? They should put some clothes on.

So Kamandi doesn't belong because he's lame and out of style? I just don't get people who don't appreciate the rich and expansive world of DC Comics. I don't think I've ever raged about a certain figure being made. Except for the cartoon characters, a little bit , but I let that go. I saw DCUC/DCIE as a celebration of DC COMICS and Super Powers. It took me a while to accept Super friends. I think Uncle Sam is pretty cool. I didn't run out and get him and I probably never will but I appreciate that he even get made.

I save my ire for DCUC that were made and weren't done right. My top 10 worst DCUC would not be characters I simply dislike but figures that were executed poorly:

Rocket Red
Starfire
Wonder Twins
Red Hood
Kid Flash
Nekron's scythe
Creeper
Big Barda's height.
Mary Marvel's face.

I rage a little at the missed opportunity to get out a Light Blue Super Powers Superman since Superman was re-released quite a few times. They can do Penguin and Mr.Freeze but not a Superman to match the colors of the Supergirl they did?

Overall, I'm too satisfied with my collection and that supersedes my anger over the blown opportunities. Thanks to TG and Mattel for getting us everything so far.

And I love my Kamandi figure! I can't wait to put him with my Gothitropolis Ravens!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:44 am 
Tis' but a pup

Please excuse the double post.

There has got to be a way where, out of a list of 20 character selections and one of the selections is actually a write-in entry, subscribers can choose the three characters that they would most like to see made during the subscription year. Then, when it is all said and done, the six (or however many) most selected characters chosen by subscribers would be made. Of course the voting results would be displayed in typical Matty fashion (i.e. in some sort of meter format) at the end of the subscription period.

Assuming that Mattel's subscription plans already align with fan demand, subscribers would naturally choose the figures that are already in the works (e.g. Damian Wayne Robin, Hook Hand Aquaman, etc.). In addition, the write-in entry (e.g. Vixen, Granny Goodness, etc.), which would unlikely garner enough votes to reach top six, would provide valuable input that Mattel could use to plan next year's subscription characters.

I know that what I am proposing is effectually a placebo to help Mattel stimulate subscription sales, but it might actually work in favor of the fans. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:03 am 
categorically opposed

So I've been pretty silent on this. In fact, I haven't made a post since SDCC happened.

And that's mostly because I realized that I just don't care anymore. Would I like more figures? Sure. Is not getting them going to keep me up at night? Nah. Do I think that Mattel is this evil entity that was conspiring to end the line? Uh, no, because I'm a rational human being.

The guaranteed sales aren't there for Mattel, and since MattyCollector takes line time away from producing products that actually make material money for the company, I understand why they need a solid number to present to management. I'm actually relieved that this is over.

Additionally, I need to say that it's a shame that this forum has gotten so quiet. The vast majority of contributors here are well spoken, respectful, and knowledgable. Due to inactivity here, I've been lurking at the Matty forums, and I blame part of my disinterest in the fate of DCUC on that. Bar a small handful of reasonable people, they are all clueless about the way that business is run and are completely out of touch with reality. Their constant absurd questions to TG on the Ask Matty forum (just look at some of them since they announce the demise of the sub) represent most of us collectors so poorly that it's pathetic.

They're toys. It's gonna be okay, folks.

Last edited by MoMoney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am 
Fugitive Dust

funtime3 wrote:
Yeah, I don't know what it is with people's fixation in constantly bringing up Kamandi and how he is a half-naked boy with 70's hair in cut -ff jeans. Meanwhile Marvel has their share of half naked long-haired action figures. And, He-Man anyone? And what's with those Wrestling figures all over the toy aisles? They should put some clothes on.

So Kamandi doesn't belong because he's lame and out of style? I just don't get people who don't appreciate the rich and expansive world of DC Comics. I don't think I've ever raged about a certain figure being made. Except for the cartoon characters, a little bit , but I let that go. I saw DCUC/DCIE as a celebration of DC COMICS and Super Powers. It took me a while to accept Super friends. I think Uncle Sam is pretty cool. I didn't run out and get him and I probably never will but I appreciate that he even get made.

Just because Marvel has a few lame-o characters that equal Kamandi doesn't validate the crappiness that is Kamandi. Sorry but as much as I loathe Captain America I can deal with his flag wearing outfit than Uncle Sam anyday. With that said it didn't bother me that either figure (Kamandi and US) were produced, they were not my favorites but I understood the line....DC UNIVERSE!!!.....which means the entire spectrum of characters. As a staunch DC fan I am happy to get new figs every month. The problem is now with the cancellation. It bothers me that at the end with so much potential left that these figures were made, especially considering they may of alienated fans. Sometimes you just have to go with the cooler character. I am not a Red Hood fan but even I was confused with the choice Mattel went with and the inappropiate body size. These blunders alienate a group of fans that I believe just walked away from the line, now that it is gone it makes me mad these figures were made, I believe they caused a small percentage of fans to leave. Truthfully though it is impossible to please fanboys, most of them hate everything they love.

Also Mattel's refusal to make 12 inch and larger figures hurt the line. I am not sure how well the MOTUC giants sold on mattycollector, but DC deserved figures larger than 9 inches. They wasted plastic over-sizing figures like Kilowog/Kalibak and Solomon Grundy and short changed figures like Giganta and Atom Smasher. They should of entertained the demands of fans for larger figures, they could of reduced articulation...not too much just a little here and there. To add insult they were making those Giants of Justice figures....arrhhhgg. Insanity.

With all those compliants DC Universe is still the greatest superhero toyline ever, better than Marvel Legends!! I can't hate the line that gave me Golden Pharoah, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, El Dorado, and Samurai in 6 inch awesomeness form. Even the Wonder Twins were made cool in that format!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am 
Brand Manager

The problem with Khamandi is Scott / Toyguru spoiled him rotten ! Its a nice figure, lame character to me but I am younger, but one of the nicest DCUC figures that's the problem. Khamandi got 3 weapons , nipples sculpted (Bwanna Beast looks odd with no Nipples!), and tons of tooling while other figures got next to nothing. No construct for Alan Scott ? No Scythe for Nekron ? 1 REALLY corny Boomerang for Captain Boomerang ? I think Khamandi was done too much justice meanwhile my Azreal Batman has backwards gaunlets that's where my hate for Khamandi comes from! I loved wave 14 it was one of my favorites but come on Alan could have got one construct or maybe even a cool second head with one green eye ( don't know the storyline but I seen him like that) and Khamandi could have lived with one pistol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 47  Next