Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
4" scale

I don't blame Scott either. He's just a fan like us who happens to be working for the toy company and is subject to the rules of business (in a large corporation at that). Unfortunately, there aren't really many all-in collectors anymore to make this system work. People only want the characters they want and Mattel just can't make figure A and be stuck with figure B.

At the same time, I want the A-list characters as much as the B-list characters. I understand that by interspersing the characters, we can get the less-popular characters too vs. what Super Powers did and dump the B-list characters towards the end effectively killing the line. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the line continues and that we at least get some of the figures shown.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:11 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

You are both correct...Scott doesn't hold the 'Keys to the Kingdom' as much as people want to think. Yes, officially he is the Brand Manager, but he's also a fan just like us, doing the best job he can to balance making the finicky toy fans happy and still operate within the corporate limitations. And he also realizes that no matter what he does, a large segment of people will be unhappy...it's not a simple job.

But he's largely been responsible for the longevity of JLU, DCUC, and MOTUC, and fans totally overlook that. Everyone needs to cut this guy a little slack, appreciate his efforts, and applaud his accomplishments once in a while. :wink:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I understand Scott's role, I completely do. But the comparison to Kickstarter is unwise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'll agree with that. With Kickstarter you know exactly what the end goal is and you have constant updates where you are. In addition, you usually have an exact idea what you are getting.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 pm 
ABS

I think Scott is a nice guy, but I don't particularly agree with Mattels gimmicks. I don't care how many times they deny it, they like dangling things in our faces! It's very frustrating especially when I've given them thousands and thousands of dollars over a span of 10 years. Things could be done a little more tastefully and I feel that if the figures were in perhaps a 6 month sub instead of a yearly, people would sign up quicker. See, if they revealed ra's and ocean master in the beginning of the year, I would've signed up for the past years sub. That is why I think Mattel should really show ALL or most of the figures before offering the sub. Thats just me babbling, pardon ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Shellhead wrote:
I'll agree with that. With Kickstarter you know exactly what the end goal is and you have constant updates where you are. In addition, you usually have an exact idea what you are getting.

Making the Infinite Earths subscription more like a Kickstarter campaign is not a bad idea. Perhaps Mattel could offer more incentives or more tiers. And it would definitely help to give real-time updates. I'm sure there are costs involved, though, and Mattel might not be willing to spend more money to promote the subscriptions. It's too bad, though, because the subscription cannot thrive in a vacuum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:16 am 
An Insider

princeofpop98 wrote:
See, if they revealed ra's and ocean master in the beginning of the year, I would've signed up for the past years sub. That is why I think Mattel should really show ALL or most of the figures before offering the sub. Thats just me babbling, pardon ;)

Seeing how they always tell us that the lines are planned out 1 to 2 years in advanced and alot of times it's "too late" to make any changes, I don't see why they can not reveal the whole line up for the year. The figures choices have already been made by Mattel, their designers, the people at DC, and hopefully they give us something that WE actually want. If I saw more figures in the sub that I wanted, sure I would be more eager to sign up.

I think that this line will die unless Mattel names all of the figures for the whole year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:21 am 
Aspires to be #1

I don't need the whole year but half would be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:23 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
I don't need the whole year but half would be nice.

This. I don't mind a little bit of not knowing, but I'd like to know at least 50% of what I'm getting into.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:56 am 
Collector Inspector

What the heck, man. All kinds of people here and even Mattel embracing the word "Kickstarter".

A year ago, I was persistently saying on these boards how Mattel should do many of their products as a "Kickstarter"--specifically Doomsday -- and I was either ignored or told "now, now, little guy, run along" or someone would just repeat my idea later and get all the nods of agreement.

And here we are now, Mattel running Doomsday basically as a Kickstarter and the Four Horseman running an extremely successful Kickstarter campaign.

No one listens to me. If there's a problem, just come and ask me, I can help. Am I not a man? Do I not bleed too?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 pm 
serves the Otter

Problem is, this is not a true kickstarter. No clear target number, and we don't know what all we will get for our money. The way they are running it, it will very likely fail. So Scott calling it a kickstsrter is just a joke.

Last edited by shabbyblue on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:09 pm 
Mint on Card

joeace wrote:
princeofpop98 wrote:
See, if they revealed ra's and ocean master in the beginning of the year, I would've signed up for the past years sub. That is why I think Mattel should really show ALL or most of the figures before offering the sub. Thats just me babbling, pardon ;)

Seeing how they always tell us that the lines are planned out 1 to 2 years in advanced and alot of times it's "too late" to make any changes, I don't see why they can not reveal the whole line up for the year. The figures choices have already been made by Mattel, their designers, the people at DC, and hopefully they give us something that WE actually want. If I saw more figures in the sub that I wanted, sure I would be more eager to sign up.

I think that this line will die unless Mattel names all of the figures for the whole year.

I agree Joe. Here is something I just thought of and it maybe doesn't apply but with the gijoe club with their figure subscription service they give you the entire 12 figure lineup b4 you place the order. As an incentive they include a 13th figure at no extra charge as a thank u for subscribing. Couldn't Matty do something like that? Just throwing my 2 cents out.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:53 pm 
An Insider

Nitewing73 wrote:
joeace wrote:

I agree Joe. Here is something I just thought of and it maybe doesn't apply but with the gijoe club with their figure subscription service they give you the entire 12 figure lineup b4 you place the order. As an incentive they include a 13th figure at no extra charge as a thank u for subscribing. Couldn't Matty do something like that? Just throwing my 2 cents out.

ToyGuru's updated response:
3:We can’t reveal additional figures simply because we don’t have anyone far enough along to reveal. We can only reveal a figure after an internal milestone called “FPR” (Final product review). We revealed eveything at SDCC that had made it to this stage. Counting the “sneak peaks” at the panel and in the case on Sunday, we’ve revealed 5/12 monthly figures. So customers know about 1/2 of the entire year at this point! The reason we don’t reveal more figures is because we don’t want to show something that might not happen. For example, in the DC brand, a few retail figures were shown at NYTF in Feb. like Damien Wayne and a new Batman Beyond that were canceled. Have you seen the posts about this? The last thing we want to do is reveal a figure that might not happen. That is a lot worse, believe me. That is why we don’t reveal figures that have not made it to FPR stage internally. We don’t want to show something that might not happen or be changed. We need to wait until FPR stage to reveal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 pm 
serves the Otter

Where is he coming up with "5 of 12" revealed? I only count Hook Aquaman, Conner Kent, and Ice. That's just 3. Neither of the Doomsdays should count, not only because we're only going to get one of them (not both), but more importantly because Doomsday is the incentive figure offered as a bonus for signing up. It's not considered one of the 12 monthly subscription figures.

3 of 12 figures is far from knowing "about half of the year's figures". :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:04 pm 
An Insider

shabbyblue wrote:
Where is he coming up with "5 of 12" revealed? I only count Hook Aquaman, Conner Kent, and Ice. That's just 3. Neither of the Doomsdays should count, not only because we're only going to get one of them (not both), but more importantly because Doomsday is the incentive figure offered as a bonus for signing up. It's not considered one of the 12 monthly subscription figures.

3 of 12 figures is far from knowing "about half of the year's figures". :roll:

He was also talking about Masters of the Universe club figures as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 47  Next