Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel Q&A Nov 15th
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Here was my question:

"Q5. I understand that the spreading of tooling costs for the tooling of Unleashed Doomsday can no longer come from the sub due to it not going through. And appreciate the $35 price for the containment suit Doomsday at SDCC next year (was worried it would be more).

BUT… you’ve stated that SDCC and convention exclusives are granted their own budget, so is there any chance that the Unleashed version can be made as an exclusive for either retail or conventions, as part of a 2pk with the long requested light blue suited Superman under a separate budget?
The Supes would be a straight repaint people have wanted for ages, (no new tooling there, just money for old rope). If you priced it at around $50 to $60 max it would sell. If you can sell the 66 Batmobile for $60 (and that is pretty much just a plastic shell), then you could easily sell this 2pk.

A5. The catch is that the budgets for newly developed SDCC items are often to support new/upcoming company programs and are designed and produced by the retail team (even though they may be sold on Mattycollector.com). As there are no longer enough customers to support a 6″ 4HM line, the retail team will most likely put their convention resources into developing product that supports upcoming retail initiatives and current toy lines. The opportunity to support more 6″ 4HM figures has come and gone with the sub. We can only make figures when we have customers buying them and the sub not going through was basically the last call for more 6″ 4HM skus."

Sorry, but all this read to me as was total BS. If SDCC exclusves are usually given budgets to support new/upcoming company programs and are designed and produced by the retail team, then what the hell was the Death statue, or the Hover Board??? Neither of those were for any new retail line.

I hate answers like this. Just grow a pair, be honest and say..... 'Look guys, you didn't buy in to the sub like we wanted you to. We understand that the way we chose to sell it as a blind buy, all or nothing option may have put people off but that's the only way we felt we wanted to do it. Now that it is dead, we won't and don't have any desire or plans to make this figure, regardless of the options available. Don't ask us for this figure anymore, don't tell us about how it could be feasibly done, don't give us examples of how smaller or other larger companies make similar things like this work and turn a profit as we don't care. We don't want to touch this line anymore. So just forget we ever made it and get off our backs!! (oh, and ps... cheers for all the cash we got from you over the years.. you bunch of muppets!!)'

Of course, in a year or two, some new hot shot toy exec may come in and say to his bosses 'hey, I've got a great idea, let's make a brand new, retro DC line in the style of those old 4H figures, retro is really cool right now so lets tap into that!!' And all the bean counters will go, 'yeah, thats so crazy it might just work... give that man a budget!!' (this last part is a dream/pleeple take)

Post subject: Re: Mattel Q&A Nov 15th
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Disappointing news, but not particularly surprising.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 am 
Loose, Missing Package

elvis8batman wrote:
Sorry, but all this read to me as was total BS. If SDCC exclusves are usually given budgets to support new/upcoming company programs and are designed and produced by the retail team, then what the hell was the Death statue, or the Hover Board??? Neither of those were for any new retail line.

The Death statue was an item to test interest in a potential new line (obviously that didn't go well, as nicely sculpted as it was I think most of us would've much preferred a DCUC Death to that) and the Hover Board wasn't an SDCC item they just sold off (or tried to sell off) the remaining stock there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:00 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Mr. Abell beat me to it, but Mattel was very open about their plans for those DC statues, with Death being the initial test piece for a new retail line. Didn't take off, so it didn't pan out. Looks like bound Doomsday is the last hurrah, but hopefully, maybe one day in the future they'll figure out a way to get the unleashed version to marketplace. In all fairness, Mattel told us to subscribe of that would be the end of the line, and it appears this is the case. I get that they're not goin to waste physical & human resources (not to mention precious factory time) on this one-off item. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Brand Manager

Quote:
"Q5. I understand that the spreading of tooling costs for the tooling of Unleashed Doomsday can no longer come from the sub...

A5. The catch is that the budgets for newly developed SDCC items are often to support new/upcoming company programs ...

elvis8batman wrote:
I hate answers like this. Just grow a pair, be honest and say..... 'Look guys, you didn't buy in to the sub like we wanted you to. We understand that the way we chose to sell it as a blind buy, all or nothing option may have put people off but that's the only way we felt we wanted to do it. Now that it is dead, we won't and don't have any desire or plans to make this figure, regardless of the options available.

Have you considered the possibility that they are keeping their mouths shut because they are afraid of people not buying the "leashed" Doomsday if they knew an Unleashed version was coming. I mean, isn't that the most obvious reason? Think about it... we've seen them offer pre-orders for Young Justice's Miss Martian, Ecto-1 and Castle Grayskull. So even when a line is dead... like ghostbusters... it's really not "dead-dead".

I mean... you've been around. You've seen them offer Comic Con stuff for lines that were dead at retail. DC Infinite Heroes was dead at retail and they still offered that big Starro. Same with Avatar. Anyways, the fact that you're asking, just proves their point. And that is that the bound version of Doomsday is the less desirable version and that they would lose customers if they were to release the Unbound version first... or announce him before the Bound version has had a chance to sell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 am 

Bound DD is easier to tool, therefore he's coming first. There's not really a big conspiracy about it. One figure was cheaper to develop than another. We didn't reach the level necessary to get the (more desired, but also much more tooled) Unleashed DD, so we're not getting him.

You can't say they didn't warn us. It sucks, but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:09 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

red Ricky wrote:
Quote:
Have you considered the possibility that they are keeping their mouths shut because they are afraid of people not buying the "leashed" Doomsday if they knew an Unleashed version was coming. I mean, isn't that the most obvious reason?

Got to admit that has some weight to it. Did anyone know Hasbro was shipping a single Bobba Fett in Wave Two Black?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:30 pm 

While I didn't know it was specifically going to be Wave 2, I had absolutely no doubt Boba Fett was going to get a single release eventually.

I mean, c'mon! It's Boba Fett, baby!

BOBA FETT!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:00 pm 
Brand Manager

Doomsday is a very popular character. So even if Mattel decides not to make the version most people want, DC Collectibles eventually will. More so now that there's an SKU for deluxe figures and the guy is showing up in the New 52 comics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:41 pm 
Displays Backwards

Shellhead wrote:

Can we just use this quote for any and all news we get from Mattel these days?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Quote:
Got to admit that has some weight to it. Did anyone know Hasbro was shipping a single Bobba Fett in Wave Two Black?

If you're talking about the 6" Black series, then yes, he was shown at Comicon as a single with the rest of wave 2. He was announced then while the exclusive was onsale, it was always the Carbonite block that wasn't coming separately.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 am 
declined to be a vampire

Captain Collector wrote:
Quote:

If you're talking about the 6" Black series, then yes, he was shown at Comicon as a single with the rest of wave 2. He was announced then while the exclusive was onsale, it was always the Carbonite block that wasn't coming separately.

I just wish they weren't 20 bucks. I've been wanting 6 inch star wars figures for years :(

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am 

BCYa wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Can we just use this quote for any and all news we get from Mattel these days?

:lol:

Sad, but true.