Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: DCUC / Club IE thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:43 pm 
shirtless hugger

Ice, jeans and t-shirt superboy and hook hand Aquaman are high on my want list. I thought I was out on the sub, but they may have just pulled me back in. And I will be BEYOND pissed if I just get Fire and no Ice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:54 pm 
An Insider

princeofpop98 wrote:
I'd pay 50 dollars alone for doomsday I don't understand why they don't just offer him outside of the sub in the version we all know and want.

They don't want our $50 for Doomsday; they want our $275 for a subscription they're worried we might not buy otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm 
serves the Otter

Sean Whitmore wrote:
princeofpop98 wrote:
I'd pay 50 dollars alone for doomsday I don't understand why they don't just offer him outside of the sub in the version we all know and want.

They don't want our $50 for Doomsday; they want our $275 for a subscription they're worried we might not buy otherwise.

Nevertheless, why bother sculpting 2 different versions of him and then only offer one? If the sub only hits Tier 1, then include Containment Suit Doomsday with the sub and sell us the Unleashed Doomsday seperately for $50. If by some miracle the sub hits tier 2, then give us Unleashed Doomsday with it and sell the Containment version seperately for $50. It would be a win-win either way for collectors AND Mattel, so that any production costs for either of those figures wasn't wasted.

As it stands, I just don't see this coming anywhere close to hitting Tier 2. For the 3rd year in a row, we'll likely be struggling to just make it to Tier 1. So when that happens, are they really going to let that amazing Unleashed Doomsday go unreleased despite the demand for it? Or even if we DO hit Tier 2 and get him, are they going to refuse to ever offer us the Containment Suit version too if people are willing to buy it separately?

This whole scenario is just ridiculous. I'm sick of Mattel playing games with us even though we are willing to give them our money for their products.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:37 pm 
An Insider

shabbyblue wrote:
Nevertheless, why bother sculpting 2 different versions of him and then only offer one? If the sub only hits Tier 1, then include Containment Suit Doomsday with the sub and sell us the Unleashed Doomsday seperately for $50. If by some miracle the sub hits tier 2, then give us Unleashed Doomsday with it and sell the Containment version seperately for $50. It would be a win-win either way for collectors AND Mattel, so that any production costs for either of those figures wasn't wasted.

I agree, and I hope they do something like that if Tier 2 isn't reached (or 1 isn't reached and there's no sub). But for the same reason (getting as many people to subscribe as possible), they'd never announce it beforehand.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:53 pm 
4" scale

They did say that the likelihood of releasing both Doomsdays is higher if they reach Tier 2 because they will have the confidence that consumers will pay for it.

Ocean Master and Ra's are both great as are the initial 2014 releases. A dud like Batzarro (which I actually welcome and understand why they would produce such a figure) compared to the other characters is perfectly acceptable to me. People can always sell the 1 or 2 duds out of 13 figures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 pm 
An Insider

Batzarro's a little boring, but y'know what, I'll open him sooner than I do any of the Rainbow Lanterns, who are all still in their white mailer boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 pm 
serves the Otter

Batzarro should have come with a Mr. Mxyptlk, and next year's Conner Kent should have come with Krypto. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:33 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I think you're crazy if you believe a stand alone Doomsday would only be 50 bucks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:42 pm 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
I think you're crazy if you believe a stand alone Doomsday would only be 50 bucks

$50... 60... whatever. Hell, I'd pay $75 for that figure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

If that is true shabby, I'll gladly sell you mine when I get him with my sub. I have no use for the hunk of plastic of a waste of a character.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:56 pm 
serves the Otter

I'm referring to the Tier 2 figure, not the Tier 1 figure few people want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:13 pm 
ABS

j1h15233 wrote:

I was using that as an example, just to get my point across that I would buy the figure separately. No need to call people crazy my friend :mrgreen:

But yes, I agree with everyone on this one. Why sculpt two if they're only going to release one. Heck I wan both of these figures. If it reaches tier 2, they should release the other figure as a standard figure in the 2014 sub. I would really gain my faith back in mattel if they did this. Im still purchasing a 2014 sub because Aquaman and superboy and Ice, duh hello they're beautiful

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 am 
Brand Manager

shabbyblue wrote:
This whole scenario is just ridiculous. I'm sick of Mattel playing games with us even though we are willing to give them our money for their products.

Tell me about it. By the way, what happens afterwards when the people that signed up start canceling (or complaining) to their credit cards on account that they didn't get the Doomsday they initially wanted (Bound or Unbound); is that something that could actually happen?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am 
5" Scale

If it goes through it will go on without me. I was already a little on the fence when it came to things, but as others have pointed out nothing is knocking my socks off? Other than Connor and Ras(maybe, if they fix his face), nothing is really floating my boat. I didn't read the JLA in the mid 80's-90's. So I don't have an appreciation of Aquaman, Fire or Ice. Doomsday is nice, but a waste of a deluxe figure slot to me. If this goes through it might be month to month for me this year. Because it kind of feels like for the most part there is minimal retooling on half of these figures so far? Which I might be ok with if the subs weren't increasing every year. I went through a similar thing when DST took over Star Trek and they were doing the same thing to keep production cost down.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:59 am 
Tis' but a pup

I want both Doomsdays. I also want a bloodied Superman and Hunter/Prey Superman...I don't see why retail wouldn't take at least one of those as a mid priced two-pack especially since this is Superman's 75th, A movie year, the Movie Masters are MIA at retail and we are about to hit full swing Batmania next month the timing just seams off. This should have been Superman's time to fly Legacy style but all I get are cheep dollar store toys, HTF expensive secondary market movie figures, and a a big meaty lure in the form of doomsday[s].

Aquaman is great looking. I hope his hook is removable for harpooning action!

Shellhead wrote:
Putting Ice in the 2014 sub is a bit of a dick move, though.

I kinda like Batzarro from a visual perspective in the comics (probably was intended for the ill-fated Batman Unlimited line).

Agreed. Does Fire & Ice even have that many fans? this is only a lure for the hardcore or OCD...
Her and Ra's should have swapped places. Ra's would be more of an subscription incentive. I hope he comes with his mask. Ubu would be an easy MOTUC reuse. Fingers crossed him and Talia are on the 4HM workbench.

shabbyblue wrote:
Batzarro should have come with a Mr. Mxyptlk, and next year's Conner Kent should have come with Krypto. :(

Yes X Infinity!

And to the people dissing on Batzarro, why?!?!! I say bring on Fat Flash, Yellow Lantern and make the Bizzaro League a killer boxed set! I agree that he shouldn't have been in the sub. Waverider would have been a new character who used less tooling. Shadow Theif could get away with being a zero tooled repaint and still have been a bad ass looking translucent action figure.

Bunger43 wrote:
Finally saw the superboy pic..his head looks a little jacked.

Yup. Ever since Chris left the 4HM I think Dittsworth and Odawg have been handing more and more sculpting duty. The changing of styles is really beginning to make these new versions of older sculpts look like different people. :( I think Cornboy, Treadaway or Jim should be sculpting all the faces to match better stylistically.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next