Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: DC Comics Multiverse 4" line thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:52 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Even when they do something so right, they get bashed for being so wrong.

This thread is making me feel bad for Mattel. Seriously.

I have no interest in movie figures. None. Never have, most likely never will.
BUT, what they've shown for that 2nd wave of Multiverse is, hands down, some of the best work I've seen come out of Mattel in any line, at any scale, in a long, long time.

Those figures, whether you prefer that scale or not, should be celebrated as a new standard for what Mattel can be putting out. Light years ahead of everything else in that scale to date.

Yet all I've been reading it "Mattel is screwing us", "Oh whoa is me, I'm not getting exactly what I want", "I can't believe Mattel is making this crap" ....

Really???
Wow.

Personally, I'm very excited by what I see there. I MIGHT actually buy some movie figures if they hit the shelves looking like those pics. And I'm surely on board for any comic based figures that come out in this line now following these reveals.

So, from me, Congrats Mattel, you've made this fan boy excited to see some new toys in the toy aisles and 2014 can't get here fast enough!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:00 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Amen, Ben. :D

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 am 
Resin

I think the problem is that nobody was complaining about Movie Masters, but they went ahead and changed it anyways for no reason. Like when Coca Cola replaced their product with "New Coke". Just a bad, bad marketing choice. Plain and simple.

Don't take a good product and replace it with an inferior one. The paint apps always get murdered on the smaller figures after the factory gets ahold of them. All of those subtle details that we see at Toy Fair will be loooong gone by retail. But I'll wait and see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:10 am 
active in the community

Then you're obviously in the same boat as Mattel if you CAN'T see what is wrong here. Don't be that guy.

Let me break it down simply for you:

-Fans have been asking for years for 6 inch, highly articulated (ala Toy Biz) DC movie and assorted movie figures.
-Mattel acquiesced, and Movie Masters was born.
-We were only given current movie releases, Dark Knight, Green Lantern, Avatar, Ghosbusters, etc. Which is awesome. That's fine. But...
-Fans beg for Keaton Batman, and Reeve Superman in this same style.
-Fans are given 12 inch figures of Reeve Superman on Matty and told, "That's all we can do right now".
-Fans accept, but continue to beg for same scaled figures as the rest of Movie Masters.
-Some more movies come out --Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, etc. More Movie Masters.
-The Holy Grail of Batman toy rights comes into reality, and Batman '66 figures are born. Movie Masters scale!
-The announcement is soon followed by Keaton Batman, right? HAS to be! We beg for Movie Masters some more.
-Keaton Batman announced!!
-6 inch Green Lantern, 6 inch Bale Batman. 6 inch Cavill Superman, all the 6 inch scaled villians-- Zod, Parallax, Joker, Bane, Alfred, etc.................4 inch Reeve Superman, and Keaton Batman?

Can you see NOW why we might be a tad upset?

Plus, the figures shown are prototypes, and if you've spent ANY amount of time in this hobby, you know what will ultimately end up happening to the final production pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:11 am 
Aspires to be #1

batfink wrote:
I think the problem is that nobody was complaining about Movie Masters, but they went ahead and changed it anyways for no reason. Like when Coca Cola replaced their product with "New Coke". Just a bad, bad marketing choice. Plain and simple.

Don't take a good product and replace it with an inferior one. The paint apps always get murdered on the smaller figures after the factory gets ahold of them. All of those subtle details that we see at Toy Fair will be loooong gone by retail. But I'll wait and see.

No one was buying them either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:21 am 
PVC

Blanka12 wrote:
Then you're obviously in the same boat as Mattel if you CAN'T see what is wrong here. Don't be that guy.

-Fans have been asking for years for 6 inch, highly articulated (ala Toy Biz) DC movie and assorted movie figures.
-We were only given current movie releases, Dark Knight, Green Lantern, Avatar, Ghosbusters, etc. Which is awesome. That's fine. But...
-Fans are given 12 inch figures of Reeve Superman on Matty and told, "That's all we can do right now".
-Fans accept, but continue to beg for same scaled figures as the rest of Movie Masters.
-Some more movies come out --Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, etc. More Movie Masters.
-The Holy Grail of Batman toy rights comes into reality, and Batman '66 figures are born. Movie Masters scale!
-The announcement is soon followed by Keaton Batman, right? HAS to be! We beg for Movie Masters some more.
-6 inch Green Lantern, 6 inch Bale Batman. 6 inch Cavill Superman, all the 6 inch scaled villians-- Zod, Parallax, Joker, Bane, Alfred, etc.................4 inch Reeve Superman, and Keaton Batman?

Plus, the figures shown are prototypes, and if you've spent ANY amount of time in this hobby, you know what will ultimately end up happening to the final production pieces.

Thank you, could not of said it better myself. It really makes zero sense to move MM to this scale, I really want to hear Mattel's rationale on the issue, what could they possibly say, especially considering they are still bringing out 6 inch figures, sure no one asked for them but they still make figures in that scale.

Again, why did they give Superman that ridiculous smirk, ughh, man they just refuse to play things straight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 am 
active in the community

Ghostbusters was a bad example of current movie releases. BUT STILL. They had a video game just getting ready to come out...so...yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:30 am 
Brand Manager

batfink wrote:

Blanka12 wrote:

Amen to that brothers! :wink:

It's not like they show a new product and we start to complain about it, it's like they release something we're begging for years, in the 6 inch scale specifically, to go along all of their collector movie figures, and they do it in the unique way that could let me pissed. Not to mention that anyone knows that's more 6 inch scale collectors out there, and if the figures don't sell, they will be saying ASAP "were killing the line cause there are not collectors enough". Make the damn things in Movie Masters scale and it will sell twice at least.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 am 
Brand Manager

batfink wrote:
The thing that really bothers me: Mattel constantly complains about "not enough fan support" to keep our favorite lines going. But Movie Masters always had overwhelming support online and at retail. So what does Mattel do? Cancel Movie Masters and replace it with the 4 inch Multiverse line. Especially annoying with those great Batman 66 MM figures sitting right next to them in the proper scale.

This is the last time these 4 inch figures will look good. The factory painting process will obliterate all of those nice, tiny details. So well done, Mattel. You destroyed the last successful figure line that the fans loved.

Once again, I totally agree. Why can't them hear the collectors?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 am 
PVC

It was bad enough that MM were supposed to be in scale with DCUC but when they came out they were shorter and fan accepted it, this is now unacceptable.

Scott would never allow a running change like this for his beloved MOTUC. This is beyond disgusting.

Last edited by Superpowers1980 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Im with Joel on this one (twice in one year maybe the Mayan Calendar was off)

The only ones demanding movie masters is that small population that actually collects movie master-- which Im sorry- is probably even smaller number than the JLU collectors..

Every single movie masters figure ever sat on the pegs for years (I dont consider Batman '66 movie masters)-- for crying out loud you can still find movie masters from the Dark Knight and Green lantern at stores. And there is a reason that GL couldnt even finish the line off-. And every Meijer I go into has 6 full pegs of the recent Batman Movie figures-and they have been there since the movie was out-- you can still find catwoman for crying out loud.. Movie Masters is the biggest failed line they continue to shove down our throat (other than the horrible 6.00 for a horrible multicolored batman or look crappy bane in a different color shirt line)- I mean look at the horrible superman figures-- even the hard to find one -- Faora sat on shelves at several of my local walmart for weeks at a time..

Figure properties that originate from another source other than movies-- and then we get movie figures--- suck.. Always have, always will- (Marvel legends movie waves-- those figures clog pegs--)- with very few exceptions.

This is just like JLU -- loud but not numerous..

Those of you that like Movie Masters - great I am glad you like them and hope you get more, and if 6" scale is what you collect and want-- so be it..

But once again dont say thats what the majority of collectors want-- because its just not true-- movie properties always sell bad after the initial rush (if they exist in some other medium previously)-- always have, always will..

I hope you are using those same 12" Lex, Zods and Reeves Superman as examples of good selling properties-- since there were about 250 of them in my local Ollies..

Of course these are just my opinions-- same as all of yours-- and just as valid..

And that was why I said- I would buy those if they make it to the shelves looking like that-- if they show up with the blobs for heads and balls for hands that mattel usually delivers (which is what the bane figure looks like)-- than once again those will sit on the pegs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:25 am 
Resin

j1h15233 wrote:
batfink wrote:

No one was buying them either.

Maybe in your house. But everybody else was buying them. In fact, Mattel told AFI just this week that "the Classic TV 66 Batman stuff was selling very well for them and they were confused why so many collectors thought the line was ending"

See: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/matt ... tman-line/

So Movie Masters normal scale is selling very well for Mattel, even to this day. When you see a few MM figures hanging on the shelves at Target, that's because the last dozen cases of them sold out. Just because you don't buy something, that doesn't mean it doesn't sell well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 am 
Aspires to be #1

Batman 66 isn't really movie masters and it had pent up demand for product for 40 years. It should be selling well. When I can go into TRU and still find Batman Begins toys they couldn't clearance off then you'll never convince me that movie figures are a hot selling item.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:49 am 
PVC

Batman 66 is in MM scale it is essentially part of the MM line. The only thing holding other figs from fitting into the bmobile are the capes.

MM stuff does generally sell well, the other 4 inch junk doesn't. Things sell differently depending on the area, in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas MM do incredibly well, all the MOS stuff sold out, all the Batman 66 stuff sold out, and the Nolan MM stuff sold out. I really don't get how some pretend they don't understand fan outcry.

Things Scott and Mattel execs. would never allow:

1. MOTU movie figures to be produced out of scale with the current line

2. NA figures to be produced out of scale with the current line

3. 200X figures to be produced out of scale with the current line

Last edited by Superpowers1980 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:53 am 
Resin

Quote:
Every single movie masters figure ever sat on the pegs for years (I dont consider Batman '66 movie masters)-- for crying out loud you can still find movie masters from the Dark Knight and Green lantern at stores.

I love this rationale. The 1966 Batman is Movie Masters, despite the fact that it does not fit your argument. The Green Lantern movie bombed, and so did the figures. In ALL scales. The Dark Knight MM figures sold well enough to keep them in stores for years and throughout all three movies. I would consider that a success. Again, just because the other cases sold out and there are figures left...does not mean the line is a failure.

Movie Masters has spawned countless figures, two excellent vehicles (Batpod and Batmobile) and has plenty of legs for the future. Unless you have some secret Mattel sales figures that you could share, the idea that MM is not selling is just conjecture, correct?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next