Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu May 05, 2016 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ewww that smell, the smell that surrounds JLU ......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:29 am 
Peg Hanger

So I am with a heavy heart selling my JLU collection, I was a super picky collector and stored all my figures wrapped in bubble wrap in totes inside other totes in a temp controlled room for the last few years. Well I got to ask does anyone else smell a over powering headache inducing caustic toxic smell from their JLU figures ? The Kenner figures, even newer ones like Alfred, Gordon they do not stink like this. Just curious if this is super common. Also a a lot of Batmans and Supermans have white mold all over there capes, just those characters no on else.

Post subject: Re: Ewww that smell, the smell that surrounds JLU ......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:50 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I've never seen this with JLU figures, but the Greg Capullo Talon figure did have a nasty smell coming off of it when I bought it. I've heard of other people having that problem before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:25 am 
Former King of Posts

not for JLU only, but in general, plastic toys closed up when opened release a plasticy smell. Not unsimilar to that of freshly poured and pressed asphalt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:52 am 
Santos L. Halper

Yes, there's a smell. I've got gobs of loose JLU for customizing and I store them in plastic bins. When I open them, a smell wafts out. To be fair, it seems like it afflicts most other figures as well. It's just that I've got high concentrations of JLU.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:07 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Yes, I know that smell. I've had the white mold appear on a few JLU figures too. Especially on Huntress and the Shade. Not sure why that white film gets on them. Seems to clean off pretty easily though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:29 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

That "new plastic smell" is why Mattel has been putting the vent holes in most of their blisters for the last several years.

Anyone remember what new cassette tapes used to smell like?... peeeeee-yooooo...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:31 pm 
Peg Hanger

Yes I guess in all fairness a lot of newer Marvel Legends I have opened have had that strong punch you n the face odor and oily surfaces which JLU never really had.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:24 pm 
AFA Graded

I love new toy smell. I can still smell the pleasant aroma of my first ThunderCats figure Jackalman back in the 1980's. Good times.

ThunderCats Wish List: Mumm-Ra (Everliving), Tygra, Cheetara, Slithe, Monkian, Vultureman, WilyKit, WilyKat, Snarf, Jaga, Bengali, Lynx-O, Hachiman, Ratar-O, Grune, Snowman, Hammerhand, Ram-Bam, Tuska Warrior, Ma-Mutt, Safari Joe, Mongor, Ro-Bear Bill.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:30 am 
Peg Hanger

Fone Bone wrote:
I love new toy smell. I can still smell the pleasant aroma of my first ThunderCats figure Jackalman back in the 1980's. Good times.

Trust me 80s plastic smells so different then modern plastic, modern plastic smells so much more...... toxic ? I do not know how to describe it. Do not get me wrong the 70s and 80s had worse paint to my knowledge a lot more lead paint, heck Mattel had a huge lead paint recall as recent as 2001 ish with Disney Cars. I do understand what people said, I had my figures stored so that smell was trapped but my benefit is I do not have those warped legs a lot of people do from displaying them. It is sad to go through all these JLU figures it really was a modern day Super Powers in my humble opinion. They gave us a lot of cool characters and I have a unique fondness for some of the early ones with those super strong plastic in the legs! I really wish the line had continued and that it could have kept its original price point but that is a dream I know. I love DCC new Batman animated series figures but I hear they are jumping to $30 each ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Really weird how everything nowadays is supposed to be less toxic but smells more toxic. Paints, glues, plastics, etc. Pretty strange...