Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is NECA Trying to Steal DC Contract From Mattel?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 pm 
Cold-cast

I saw this on Toynewsi:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=23728

A 7 inch 1989 Keaton Batman?! :o NECA is likely getting away with it because it's included as a premium with the Blu Ray. But first thing comes to mind is...how come Mattel isn't making this? Has WB/DC lost all faith in Mattel at this point?

The good news is that fans have been clamoring for this figure for years and we will finally get it. But a part of me still wishes this figure was in normal Movie Masters scale and style to fit in better with the Dark Knight and MOS figures. Wonder how this will play out.

Post subject: Re: Is NECA Trying to Steal DC Contract From Mattel?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:24 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

NECA made the Jonah Hex figures, too, and that didn't win the license away. It's a promo item for the Blu-Ray release, that's it. Most likely this was planned first and the video game edition they put out was an afterthought to get another use out of the mold - a pre-paint, if you will. Mattel made, what, two of the promos for the animated films and a Hot Wheels for the Batman series and that's been it. Why DCC isn't making it would be a better question, I think. Mattel may have the license but it seems to be more of a right of first refusal thing than a blanket license (i.e. Bandai making the Teen Titans Go! figures and Jakks Pacific making the large scale stuff).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 pm 
Cold-cast

Good point. Probably just a cheap way to re use the video game sculpt. But nice figure + retro packaging. Would love to see Movie Masters come back and do this guy, Chris Reeve and Lynda Carter. Or have DCC or NECA to take the reins. Hopefully Mattel bounces back in 2016 with the Batman v. Superman stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:07 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

To those who have the video game version, how much larger is this in scale compared to the Movie Masters figures?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:31 pm 
serves the Otter

If it's 7" tall, I imagine it is more closely in scale with DCUC figures than Movie Masters.