Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JLU Collectors jumping ship?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

As new toy lines start up, I've noticed that old time JLU collectors have started selling off their collections.
Has the need for collecting out weighed the love of JLU, or is there just no more room in your house
for it all?

It matters not to me because I buy and use the extra collections to make customs to expand my
ever growing Bruce Timm universe.

What's your reason for getting rid of your JLU, or will you stay loyal to JLU forever? 8)

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

Post subject: Re: JLU Collectors jumping ship?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:17 pm 
Santos L. Halper

I just ran out of room, quite frankly. It was either stop collecting all together or create some room. I still have a lot of other DCAU related stuff in my collection, but I decided to sell the JLU figures since they took the most space. It was a hard decision, I loved those figures, but something had to give.

In all likelihood, I'll probably start collecting the DCAU DC direct stuff, but probably won't be such a completist like I was with JLU.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm 
Cold-cast

I love JLU & the Timmverse, the toons that is.

For one thing most of the no name obscure JLU characters I could care less about. So why do I need a figure of Nemesis or Starman? No offense to anyone who loves these characters. But, Oh right because I had have them all. So whatever, they sat there in a box & that's the way it went.

I must admit I was slightly amused to have all these different characters in Timmverse figure form. Even though most of them I really wasn't satisfied with because they were the wrong size, the stupid painted on details instead of sculpted, or many other problems. But they still just sat in a box.

Then every time I looked at them something was going wrong. Either one of them were disintegrating, turning chalky white, the cheap rubbery plastic was warping, or the paint was coming off on the other figures, etc..... I kind of realized even beyond the fact that these figures weren't well sculpted, they also were made like crap. Plus the whole way mattel was playing game with those last figure like Toyman, etc, was leaving a bad taste in my mouth about the line & bitterness. I started getting rid of the big money figures, Volcana, Shadow Thief, Atomic Skull, etc.... Once I realized my collection was no longer complete, & I didn't miss those pieces I got rid of, ( which is odd for me since I'm such a completist ) But then I decided that I wouldn't miss any of them.

So I went through them & pretty much only kept figures that were on BTAS,TNBA, & STAS. Maybe a couple other characters that I really liked. Because I've had a display up of those older lines in my house since the 90's. JLU was great as a toon, but as a collection of no name B & C tier characters in figure form, MEH! I sold the rest while they were still worth money & before they completely deteriorated. Characters like Volcana & Weather Wizard, etc that were in one of the lines I wanted displayed. I made my own, because mattel's renditions sucked anyway.

Usually I'm the type of person that sells something & regrets it later. For the most part, I don't miss them. Until I decide that I need a particular figure for a custom. Then I regret selling the one I had. But usually I can get it for a couple bucks on ebay, or better yet buy it in a lot for like 50 cents a figure & then have even more fodder.

So yeah, I guess the real reason I got rid of them was because most of them were so poorly designed & cheaply made. I would never think of getting rid of any of my Kenner BTAS/TNBA because they were well done & made out of quality plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:17 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm not getting rid of mine. I've got lots of other stuff I'd get rid of first. I have noticed, though, that a lot more JLU is showing up in local shops and on tables at shows, so I know people are divesting themselves of it.

I do plan on getting all the new DC Direct animated figures, so I do need to make room. With that in mind, I've got bins and bins of custom fodder that I need to sort through and deal with. I need to seriously decide what I'm likely to use, and what will A) never happen or B) can be purchased as a casting from someone more talented than me (a lot of my planned projects have already been accomplished by other people). I've got a lot of the common JLU figures that I bought on clearance or from loose figure bins at shops/shows that I will never be able to use. So at some point, I'll be dumping those.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 am 
Collector Inspector

I've held on to my Super Powers and Secret Wars action figures when they ended. I'm not only keeping my JLU collection but still creating customs. Granted, not nearly as often has I have in the past. Now I cherry pick from other lines. Some figures can be added to my Infinite Heroes collection, Doctor Who lines (5 inch and 3.75 inch) and I'm dabbling in Funko's ReAction lines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:20 am 
Cold-cast

I'm definitely about creating customs. Kind of the only reason I have any JLU figures left that i don't really want. Because sooner or later they are going to be turned into something better.

I have parts & figures thrown in ziploc bags & have them labeled what I am going to turn them into. Because sometimes I get an idea & don't get to it for quite some time. Later on I think to myself " what do I have this figure for? " Because I forgot what I was going to turn it into? My new storage system helps me remember :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
I have parts & figures thrown in ziploc bags & have them labeled what I am going to turn them into.

That's a great idea. I also have the problem of buying a certain piece of fodder, and tossing it into a plastic tub, and then trying to find it later by digging through the tub. Then I'll give up, eBay or rebuy the piece, and find the first one later. I HAVE to get organized.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:18 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Clayface wrote:
Then every time I looked at them something was going wrong. Either one of them were disintegrating, turning chalky white, the cheap rubbery plastic was warping, or the paint was coming off on the other figures, etc..... I kind of realized even beyond the fact that these figures weren't well sculpted, they also were made like crap. Plus the whole way mattel was playing game with those last figure like Toyman, etc, was leaving a bad taste in my mouth about the line & bitterness. I started getting rid of the big money figures, Volcana, Shadow Thief, Atomic Skull, etc.... Once I realized my collection was no longer complete, & I didn't miss those pieces I got rid of, ( which is odd for me since I'm such a completist ) But then I decided that I wouldn't miss any of them.

That was kind of the issue with me too. Because they were so cheaply made, I just didn't see them holding their value in the long run. Not only did I need the space, but I thought it best to offload them before they depreciated in value. I don't miss them either and the DCAU related maquettes and busts I kept are keeping me satisfied JLU-wise. Satisfied.....until the DC direct BTNA figures come out, then I'll probably start this cycle all over again. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 pm 
serves the Otter

I'm planning to sell off my entire JLU collection on Ebay once I motivate myself to photograph and list it all. The passion for it ran out a year or two ago, especially when it was clear that I'm never getting a Volcana. With what a few of the rarer JLU figures are selling for right now on Ebay, I could use that money towards other collectibles that interest me more, such as Hot Toy's upcoming 1/6 scale BTTF Delorean.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:15 pm 
shirtless hugger

I still have mine and have them displayed, but DCUC is my main line for DC, and while I probably won't sell them off, I will likely end up storing them before too long to make room for the DC collectibles Batman Animated series figures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 pm 
Cold-cast

tanglevine wrote:
I still have mine and have them displayed, but DCUC is my main line for DC, and while I probably won't sell them off, I will likely end up storing them before too long to make room for the DC collectibles Batman Animated series figures.

Seriously make sure you store them in a cool place like your basement. Also put them in individual ziploc bags or else they will melt & paint will rub onto one another. I'm being serious, I learned the hard way.

Cheap fraggin figures!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:15 am 
Collector Inspector

I have the idea to ebay many of the villain figures I have. After the "gotta get them all" mentality back in that day, I never really wanted them to begin with. After being part of the Legion of Doom, I never really cared that much for most of the characters on an individual level.

Of coarse, after I get rid of them about a year later something will come out that will make me wish I had kept the figure/figures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I don't collect enough action figures or toys to have run out of space yet. I have six bins and a garbage bin to hold all of my plastic toys and a cot, a desk, and my bed for all of my stuffed animals. The only thing I collect that is taking up serious real estate in my apartment is my DVD collection. I'm going to have to cut back on those.

New rule: If you don't acknowledge the existence of the federal government, then you don't get to use its Constitution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 am 
Brand Manager

I often toy with the idea of selling them all off. I mean they are not that lavish of a toy item but the 4 inch scale did provide us with Wayne Manor, Gotham Bank, Jokers Lab,Batman Beyond Batmobile, Batplane, 2 Batmobiles, the Javelin and Watchtower (only one I dont own!). Dc Direct I hope will get to STAS and JLU but I highly doubt they will have that many vehicles or playsets but heres hoping lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 pm 
An Insider

I'm currently unloading a majority of my non-Batman, Superman, New Gods, and Super Powers related DCUC, but I don't ever see myself getting rid of my DC Animated Universe collection.