Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The future of DCUC?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:09 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

So we now know that DCUC style figures have been relegated solely to the sub.

No longer will we get a retail line of fully articulated 6" characters that are more 'popular' to attract moms and kids, leaving the lesser known characters for the sub.
In place of this we are getting a retail line of under articulated, simpler sculpted 6" characters that are supposedly more "popular" to attract moms and Kids. :shock:

Why they think this new line of characters that have already been made in these exact looks will be more popular than continuing the DCUC line with fresh characters is beyond me.

Also, the sculpts on the faces of the sub figures seem to be dropping in quality, which makes no sense as surely there are less figures to make now its just the sub, so the 4H 's top sculptor should be doing all the head sculpts.

I really hope the "new" 6" line tanks, and come next year Mattel decide on re-branding DCUC to retail. I don't care if they make it sound like they're doing us a favour, if they come off as being in touch with the fan base or the saviors of the line, just so long as they return to form.

But if that never happens, I'd like to see them do additional subs to back up DCIE on Matty, specifically a Batman sub that gives us the myriad of Bat family characters and villains that are still sadly lacking. A Bat sub would probably outsell the regular sub. But it would free the regular sub up for more DC universe characters, so sub buyers don't get lumped with the likes of Bizarro Batman (Composite Superman would've been a far better choice for the sub).

But ultimately, I still believe that if the decision hadn't been made to stop DCUC waves at retail, and the waves had of got back to their original broad spectrum of characters that it would still have the same number of buyers.

I wouldn't like to see DCUC limited in articulation if it returned to retail. The uniformity of the line is one of its biggest attractions, to start putting under articulated versions in the display would be pointless, you'd be better of getting DC Direct versions.

Basically, I feel mattel have really given us the finger this SDCC. They seem to have lost any interest in their flag ship DC line, and I just can't see them re-igniting the previous fire. Which is a big shame, as I still believe there is tons of mileage in DCUC.

Also, on a side note, what the hell happened to the face sulpt on T-Shirt Superboy? It should be exactly like the reign of Superman Superboy head but with shorter hair. It looks nothing like that one or the main Superman head sculpt.

Post subject: Re: The future of DCUC?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:51 pm 
3 3/4"

At this point have NECA get the rights to marvel and dc in the 6inch scale and let people who know to make figures do them right.IF one company had the rights for both comic companies.They would be making money hand over fist.Release 2 vehicles a year one for each brand. Make sure we get at least one member of a team in each wave.Every character should come with some type of weapon or accessories of some kind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm 
serves the Otter

I wish NECA had the Back to the Future and Ghostbusters licenses. They'd actually be making 6" figures instead of squandering the license. Have you seen their Aliens and Predator lines lately? The human characters have some amazing likenesses and lots of articulation now. They are no longer like the old fashioned McFarlane style pre-posed statue figures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:08 pm 
Aspires to be #1

You guys assume a smaller company would be able to keep up the same quality and production numbers with these much more expensive licences.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 pm 
3 3/4"

A smaller company might work better.They more often than not listen to the fans.Look at what DCUC gave us.That pleeple poor Rainbow Lantern wave that you can still find in some stores.Bad shipping on waves 2,5,8 and 10.McFarlane and Neca have been honest when they couldnt get a likeness right for certain people.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:30 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Yea, look what they gave us....

http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery/al ... DCUC~1.jpg

And that's not even all of them. Just off the top of my head, wave 20, the crime syndicate 5-pack and 2 years of the sub are not in this picture. There's probably a few more missing too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:31 pm 
Cold-cast

I collect the Neca Gremlins. It seems to me like distribution & case asst is done very well in that line. I never seem to have a problem finding any of them if I pay attention to when they are released. If you don't get them when they come out, you could miss out on them at retail. Only because Gremlins is produced in a lower quantity than most lines & only ship a few times to the retail chains that carry them. But they are still all over ebay for not much more than retail. If Neca had the DC license, pretty sure it would be produced in much larger numbers than the other lines they have license to now. So I'm positive they would be in stores in more abundance than their smaller lines. I just wish mattel would lose the DC license already. Tired of dealing with their incompetence for all these years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:54 pm 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:

Hmm, that's odd. That visual checklist shows the Super Powers versions of Superman and Wonder Woman, modern Red Tornado, modern Guardian, yellow gauntlets Shazam, and naked Cheetah.

Pretty sure Mattel hasn't given us those. :P

Also noticed a dark red suit vs. bright red suit Mary Marvel, as well as dark red vs. bright red skin Tyr. First I've heard of that. I only have the bright red versions of those figures. Were those dark red versions released variants, or just early protos like the I ones mentioned above? Whoever made this poster should have ONLY included figures Mattel actually released!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:02 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The darker/lighter versions was a real thing and the guy that made those posters puts anything and everything on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 pm 
An Insider

Naked Cheetah had a limited release.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 pm 
serves the Otter

joeace wrote:

Very limited. Just like JLU Volcana. Most collectors don't have either of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:14 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I have the darker version Tyr.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:22 pm 
Aspires to be #1

shabbyblue wrote:
joeace wrote:

Very limited. Just like JLU Volcana. Most collectors don't have either of them.

I think naked cheetah is much rarer than Volcana.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:06 am 
Loose, Missing Package

shabbyblue wrote:
Hmm, that's odd. That visual checklist shows the Super Powers versions of Superman and Wonder Woman, modern Red Tornado, modern Guardian, yellow gauntlets Shazam, and naked Cheetah.

Pretty sure Mattel hasn't given us those. :P

Also noticed a dark red suit vs. bright red suit Mary Marvel, as well as dark red vs. bright red skin Tyr. First I've heard of that. I only have the bright red versions of those figures. Were those dark red versions released variants, or just early protos like the I ones mentioned above? Whoever made this poster should have ONLY included figures Mattel actually released!

That's because it isn't an official checklist, Christophe put that together. I asked about his inclusion of the figures you mentioned and he thought they should be on there... If you really want a better idea of the line (though still missing wave 21 and a couple of other odds and ends) try this link...

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/01/dc-univers ... rospective

Check out the photo at the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 am 
ABS

Naked Cheetah was pretty easy to get via Amazon.