Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: MOTU at Big Lots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm 
Variant Head

Man they honestly should have waited until AFTER sub sign ups ended to drop these they way they did.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:29 pm 
Resin

abuddah wrote:
1 of the 2 Big Lots in Upstate NY got them in. They had Marzo, Faceless One, Icarus, Moss Man, Catra and Megator. One of each.

Where in upstate new york?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:37 pm 
5" Scale

I've been to the one's right around me and came up empty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

New Albany,IN -- no MOTU-- but more of those 12" Ghostbuster sets--

How many of those damn things did they make -- thats already 14 locally..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:39 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Saw two Count Marzo's and one Icarius at the Big Lots here. Which is really weird, because we almost never get stuff like this lol..

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 am 
Wonderdog

posted on MattyCollector July 31,2013 by ToyGuru:

He-Fans,

As people are gearing up to subscribe for 2014, I wanted to make sure and clarify any outstanding issues or questions. One that I see popping up on the boards is the recent supply of MOTUC figures at some discount chains like Big Lots. I’ve seen some fans have concerns about why they should subscribe when "they can just wait it out and see more MOTUC at discount".

The direct answer is; you won’t.

As announced back in Dec 2012, product that went unsold on Cyber Monday 2012 (all 2011 and earlier) would be going to discount channels to clear out the way for 2013 and 2014 as well as help promote the line. All of the figures offered this way were first offered on discount on Mattycollector.com through Cyber Monday. All of this product is from the “second run” of a handful of older 2009-2011 stock. Back then, we used to run second runs and add a burst noting “the Original” on package (in line with what the vintage line did when He-Man was reissued so Moms wouldn’t confuse him with newer He-Man variants like Battle Armor etc…). But I digress.

The point is, the second runs of figures did not perform as well for us. We sold them on discount first on Matty, and after this, the small remaining stock was moved to discount retailers 6 months ago (as announced in Dec.) and is just now showing up. Newer figures from 2012 and 2013 are not going into a second run and are selling through completely. As you may have noticed, each month in 2013 we have been selling through the very small remaining customer service stock of some 2012 figures. So for example when we sold 2012 Stinkor a month or two ago (starting in Early Access) that was it. There are no more. So there are no 2012-2013 figures (and beyond) that will show up at discount because there is no more stock.

It was a one time thing to move through older 2009-2011 second run figures that had first been offered at discount on Matty on Cyber Monday 2012.

I hope that clears things up. So if you are not subbing in the hope that if you wait long enough MOTUC figures will show up at discount, know that that isn’t going to happen. All 2012 and 2013 figures only have one run and are selling through in full. There isn’t any stock to sell at discount. Starting in Jan 2012, it has been a onetime shot (with very limited CS stock sold off during EA the following year)

I hope this help nullify this issue and encourage everyone to sub up this year for both DC and MOTU. The line has very much become subscriber dependent. The next two years will be only the remaining vintage MOTU, POP, A list NA, mini comic and animated figures. No concept or box art or background characters. And if you note who is still unmade in the vintage line, (i.e. Extendar, Mermista, Flogg, Dragstor, Gwildor, Ninjor, Sweet Bee, etc…) a lot of them have a ton of new parts. So the next two years really are going to be some of the best figures we have ever done. You are getting a lot more bang for your buck in 2014 and 2015 (compared to say 2009 when a new fig like Tri-Klops or Zodac was a head and armor only). The value will be huge every month. Compare Mantenna and a Horde Trooper to Scareglow and Prince Adam. Upcoming figures are much more like Mantenna in terms of new parts and value!

Finally, for those who are still unclear at who is left and who you will be getting, consider the unmade vintage figs in a little more detail. There are two snake men left. Squeeeze and Tung Lasher. One will be in 2014, one in 2015. Get it? And whomever you don't get in 2014 will be in 2015 (assuming enough sub holders both years). All of the remaining vintage figs have been split over two years (assuming we get enough sub holders each year). So by the end of 2015, the goal is to wrap up our collections (with of course the potential for some con items or other ways to always do figures beyond that should there be customer support).

Okay, that is my soapbox. Hope it helps! Head on over today to Mattycollector.com because the sub period is only through Aug 19th for DC, MOTU and the incredible Ecto 1!

TG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 pm 
Collector Inspector

My first Big Lots visit and I find 2 Megator, 3 Icarius and and 1 Adora. I bought one of each. My first ever Masters Of The Universe purchase! I would love to find a Skeletor, Moss Man and Catra! I might keep looking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:00 pm 
shirtless hugger

I went to two Big Lots, one in OKC and the other in Norman. I found and picked up Buzz-Off, Sy-klone and Grizzlor. I left the Molar SDCC pack, Catra and Icarus. I'd love to find a Moss Man, but it doesn't look like they shipped around here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:50 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Please keep all trade talk on the Swap Meet forum page,
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 am 
Knows his stuff

FYI: I went to a Big Lots in Richmond VA (Brook Rd location) and saw several of the Molar vs Skeletor packs (10.00 each). I don't collect these (and have never heard of Molar..haha) but wanted to post it in case someone collects them in this area. Happy hunting!

Rick

After posting this I decided to google Mo-larr to figure out if this was a real character!! Should've guessed it... Robot Chicken!! haha!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:04 pm 
ABS

I stopped in a Big lots yesterday on a whim, and I was really surprised to find a Count Marzo figure. Anyone else still seeing any MOTUC at their local Big Lots? I thought this ship had sailed a while back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 pm 
Wonderdog

I haven't found anything in a couple weeks...

Webslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:49 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

My local store hasn't had anything new in a few weeks. I went to a brand new store about a half hour away last weekend and they had tons of 'em! They were all figures that I already had or didn't want, unfortunately. And I've heard of other stores getting in small shipments, so I think there's still hope!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:04 pm 
Collector Inspector

About a month ago, I got a tip from a local in my collector network that the Big Lots kinda close to me had 4 Moss Man, 3 BG Teela, 2 Faceless Ones, and about a million Icarius and Sy-Clones. I got over there as fast as I could, and some some hot-shot scalper (yes, I'm going to go ahead and say that) cleared everything out but the Icarius. SO MUCH Icarius. The store had like, 12 Icarius.

I was so demoralized and hysterical with grief, that I ran off to Amazon and bought a Moss Man for $20. I can't wait to go to the local convention in a week and see Big Lots MOTUC at $40 a pop. Yay.

Now, I went out on gut feeling, and checked the BLs last week and they indeed get some smaller shipments. But tragically it was just the more common figures that have been super common around here: Megator, Icrarius and Adora. I would have really like to get a Clawful, Catra, Skeletor/Molar and Man-E Faces

There was a period, during this whole Big Lots gold rush, that I thought I would become a collector of this line. But after losing to the scalper/reseller/hoarder/whatever and seeing the crazy competitive prices on ebay, I decided Nah, it's not going to happen.

STILL, I'm super happy that I was able to get something. I was able to get 4 figures: Sy-Clone, Adora, Icarius and Megator at $10 a pop. That's really great, can't complain about that. I really enjoy the figures!

Last edited by funtime3 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:06 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

It is a nice line.
Of course, I'm paying sub prices for it. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting