Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Post-JLU/DCAU Toyline Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Hey there! You good? You doing okay?

...it's alright, let it out. Let it alllll out. We're here for you.

*passes around the tissues*

I thought it would be interesting to hear how folks are doing now that Mattel has stopped producing JLU toys and the DCAU brand is dormant once more.

After all, we spent years passionately discussing (arguing in some cases) about the line. Now that it's over, are folks feeling like there's a hole in their lives? A gap? Or have you simply moved on to another toyline?

I'm not really feeling anything. I wasn't buying the figures on even a monthly basis in the final years, so I don't feel like much has changed. Hopefully in time I'll come across the ones I'm still missing from my collection...but I think I'm kind of relieved it's over. All the campaigns and the hoping Mattel would make this character or do that differently...it seemed to have worn us out, no?

Feel free to share your thoughts (politely!) :D

Post subject: Re: The Post-JLU/DCAU Toyline Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:58 pm 
AFA Graded

I will never give up on JLU, but Mattel is another story.
For now, making & buying JLU customs is my way of continuing the line.

LEGION OF DOOM completed.

Updated TNBA.

Legion of Superheroes/ Fatal 5

Batman Beyond

Sinestro CORPS

Brainiac/Lex collection

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

DisneyBoy wrote:

I'm not really feeling anything ...but I think I'm kind of relieved it's over. All the campaigns and the hoping Mattel would make this character or do that differently...it seemed to have worn us out, no?

Yeah I really don't care anymore. I guess I got pretty burned out on the whole thing. I'm not sure I would return even if they went back into production. Then again maybe I just needed a break from the whole thing and the end just coincidentally came at the right time. Who knows... maybe if they returned in a few years I'd return. I'll probably eventually forget any of the bad stuff and only remember the good parts of JLU. Regardless of whatever bad there was I'm just content in the fact that I have them all. No more worries about whether Mattel could get the entire collection in my hands.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Wow - you have them all?? No easy feat! Congrats...

I'm with you Gel, as always :) Customs area great way to continue our collections. And in the end, most of the figures I was hoping for were probably not on their way any time soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:55 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I was good back in 2007, I had some issues with Mattel but 2007 essentially was when I stopped REALLY caring. ... Though I may have still said some harsh stuff at Mattel, lol.... But getting all the stuff we did is still really cool. And a toy line that lasted almost 9 years is pretty darn impressive... 2003 seamed like just yesterday. lol :)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

After JLU I tried a bit of Marvel Universe, then I tried some Minimates.
Now I'm just chillin'. (Chilton)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:41 pm 
Santos L. Halper

It's been 8 months of relative peace for me. I really enjoyed it when the line was in production - really enjoyed the hunt, the satisfaction of seeing the collection grow and seeing my display plans of having my JLU stand shoulder to shoulder come to fruition. Love and adore these figures made in Bruce Timm's design style (They still look like mini maquettes to me). And love seeing characters I thought would never see the light of day - namely Lobo, Captain Atom and the Question, made into figures.

But the many pains of obtaining them, the money spent and the lack of space to really display any more, really kinda left me burnt out. I'm grateful for the 9 wonderful years we were able to get these great figures from this outstanding series, but all good things must come to end, and it was time. Again, It's been 8 months of peace and I've been thankful for it.

I now have the time and money to concentrate on other areas of my collection. I'm really happy now that things have ended, because ideas for my collection I had to sideline due to my focus on completing JLU now have been able to see the light of day.

Still, JLU will always have a big place in my heart. And despite the 8 months of peace, JLU has lingered there in the back of my mind. I recently started collecting and binding the DCAU comics. I just finished the Superman Adventures volumes and I'm moving onto the Batman ones. Seems that I can't entirely escape the DCAU, no matter how hard I may try.

For now, I'm content to sit in my man cave and look at my complete JLU collection in the display case from across my desk.

If asked would I want Mattel to continue production on JLU, my answer would unequivocally be........

no.

Fades to black, the Beatles Let It Be plays on the phonograph in my background. 8)

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Last edited by Krypton1976 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:52 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I still miss it and I buy customs whenever I can. I tried to let DCUC fill the void but I'm now selling off most of those. I gave YJ and MU a chance but they kind of sucked. Action League died too quickly and now I'm pretty much out of toys. I just recently got this all set up though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:21 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Miss the Timmverse quite a bit.
Don't miss the toys at all.
But at least Marvel's starting to world build with the Avengers, Ultimate Spider-man, and Hulk Agents of SMASH. It's not the awesomeness of the Timmverse, but it's fun to see the various cross overs.
The main area of the Timmverse that never really got explored was the Titans. How I wish we could have had a couple seasons of Titans: The Animated Series.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:41 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

It sucks.

But seriously, I never did get into DC Classics, but for a short while. It seems that Mattel has priced most of the former fanbase out of collecting them, which in turn sunk the DC ship in terms of making a profit on them. And, if one wanted to sub-up to get figures they did want, they could no longer sell off the ones they didn;t want, due to the high cost after shipping of said figures. It doesn't seem to add up for me that big ol' Mattel can't seem to make DC Classics work any longer. Not when Big H can still make it work. It really does stink for the DC fans. At least, the 'true' DC fans...not that New 52 rubbish.

Speaking of which, I totally moved on from JLU(and by extension, Mattel) to Lego. Now, as long as Lego keeps the New 52 crap out of minifigureville, then I'm happy.

As for JLU, I'd go back and buy it if Mattel saw fit to produce it. In for a penny, in for a pound. Ironically, even I would probably buy New 52 versions of JLU figures.

So, what's left? Kiddie figures of Bats and Supes now? It's like back when Mattel only had the Batman and Superman licenses all over again, only this time they can't utilize the license they do have to it's fullest for whatever reason. Oh, and they were ten/twelve bucks a piece at retail, plus tax.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:00 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

JLU isn't dead, there is still plenty of life in the line.

Have a look for yourself http://geekvarietycustoms.dchallofjustice.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:49 am 
Variant Head

I honestly thought this line would go on forever and with the general direction action figures are taking at the current moment I could see JLU back on store shelves. I mean have you seen the new Star Wars figures ? Every toy line seems to be cutting back on articulation and sculpts. I love the Timmverse and wish we got so many more figures from Luminus to Poison Ivy to Jimmy Olsen and so on but I guess everything must end.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:51 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Lots of cool collection pics, and neat customs, in this thread. Nice work everyone.

Good thing Shellhead had one more opportunity to let everyone know he doesn't like this toyline (note the title of the thread = "Toyline Discussion").

I know I can't get enough of that. (I shouldn't bring it up, since it's a mental condition--JLUhateritis--and he can't help himself, but maybe he'll get back on his meds.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:53 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Shellhead wrote:
Miss the Timmverse quite a bit.
Don't miss the toys at all.
But at least Marvel's starting to world build with the Avengers, Ultimate Spider-man, and Hulk Agents of SMASH. It's not the awesomeness of the Timmverse, but it's fun to see the various cross overs.
The main area of the Timmverse that never really got explored was the Titans. How I wish we could have had a couple seasons of Titans: The Animated Series.

I would have dug Titans the Animated series. Instead, we got Young Justice, which had no connection to the Timmverse (and not drawn in the Timm style).
Being it was a separate universe, I was like....meh. I'll just stick to watching JLU on DVD, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 am 
Knows his stuff

DisneyBoy wrote:
Hey there! You good? You doing okay?...I thought it would be interesting to hear how folks are doing now that Mattel has stopped producing JLU toys and the DCAU brand is dormant once more.

Umm...doing just fine.

My collecting career started and ended with JLU, although I still peak in here periodically to see the new happenings with DCUC/IE/whatever. Sad to see that line ending for those that collected it. I didn't collect it, but it was cool to see the new reveals and people commenting on them (and it's always good to read a good red Ricky rant).

If there is one lesson I hope Matty learned from the demise of the DC brands, it's is don't postpone highly-demanded figures when you don't even know if the line will exist in another six months. I've facepalmed so hard that I gave myself the Iron Claw everytime I hear Mattel talk about spacing out the good figures.