Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ideas? What's next for DCUC?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:31 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

So they managed to push JLU quite a ways down the road, so I'm hoping we might still pull a little more mileage from DCUC. I don't have any real desire to give up this hobby, but I despise the New 52 (which has pretty much made me give up comics)and that leaves me with very little to look forward to. Anyway, so I myself still have several holes in my collection. If you're like me and if you're looking on ebay, you'll see some of the prices are downright insane. So would people be willing to buy two packs of consisting of one reissue and one new figure. I mean mattel would just have to look at ebay to see what would sell as a reissue and I think there is plenty and there would be some that could be black buster successes. I saw a Giganta that started yesterday at 99 cents that is already 74 bucks. I would totally shell out money for a two pack of a put together Giganta and Unleashed Doomsday. I think there are a lot of possibilities here. Anyway, that's my idea. What are yours?

Post subject: Re: Ideas? What's next for DCUC?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:49 pm 
3 3/4"

A big 7 pack for Christmas would be a big seller. Do one of villains too. Lex.Joker,Sinestro,Black Manta,Naked Cheeta.Shadow Master just use the DCIE star mar in a clear black plastic. and a White Martian.

Grant Morrison JLA. So we can get Aquaman and a Kyle Rayner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:06 pm 
Aspires to be #1

A handful of single releases and that's it. Line is dead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:30 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I fear you are correct.
I don't see much coming out except the three figures we saw. And even then, that seems dicey.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
A handful of single releases and that's it. Line is dead.

Agreed. No way we get anything more than a 2 pack. And I'd be shocked if we even got that.

It would be nice to see a re-release of some of the older DCSH figures...but that's not going to happen either.
I'm just glad I hung on to at least one MOC of every one of the DCSH figures.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:30 am 
Aspires to be #1

What's really next is me selling off a large chunk of the figures I bought over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am 
Wonderdog

Line is dead for sure, if we get anything from what was revealed we'll be lucky. But if we don't I'm fine with the line ending...

Webslinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22 am 

Shellhead wrote:
I fear you are correct.
I don't see much coming out except the three figures we saw. And even then, that seems dicey.

Never did get my hands on a Cassandra Cain Batgirl. :?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:21 am 
ABS

Two things:

That Christmas 7 pack idea is great, but those figures listed wouldn't fly, why would they include a bunch of figures they already sold at retail, each with multiple versions, that would be the worst mistake.

Also the line is far from dead, it needs about a year off and for the new lines to die off. What Matty needs to do is in about a year reinvest in the line. DC needs to stop interferring and give the clear on whatever figure or variation people want. Mattel needs to offer a new subs with these factors.

1. 6 of 12 figs are fan voted characters
2. One 12inch scale figure, like their MOTUC Tytus slightly limited articulation

Also a nice release of a 12 inch versions of Giganta and Atom Smasher. Plus a 30 inch articulation reduced Anti Monitor, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 am 

You have just contradicted yourself. First you say they shouldn't release a pack of figures containing figures they've already done before, then you say they should do figures they have already done! :lol:

Taking a year off wouldn't be a bad idea, but if you think they are going to relaunch a revamped line with Vixen, Mera, and Zaurial instead of Batman, Robin, and Superman, I am afraid you will be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 am 
serves the Otter

Mattel will continue to stupidly try new things rather than going backwards, refusing to simply analyze and take responsibility for the mistakes THEY made or recognize and repeat what they did RIGHT in the first place. Retail gave up on the DCUC style/brand, and then the sub failed this year. So in the eyes of Mattel execs, they probably think that means nobody wants those kind of figures anymore. They'd rather just try a different style or scale instead, once again risking failure and losing more of the collectors that were loyal to their previous brands rather than giving us what we really want to retain or grow their customer base.

So yeah.... DCUC is dead. So is JLU. Time for us to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm 
ABS

Shellhead wrote:
You have just contradicted yourself. First you say they shouldn't release a pack of figures containing figures they've already done before, then you say they should do figures they have already done! :lol:

Taking a year off wouldn't be a bad idea, but if you think they are going to relaunch a revamped line with Vixen, Mera, and Zaurial instead of Batman, Robin, and Superman, I am afraid you will be disappointed.

I guess it is sort of a contradiction. I probably need to clarify. I don't think a seven pack of those figures would be wise considering they were heavily packed and have multiple versions of each character. When I mentioned the larger scale figures I meant if the line returns in the monthly fashion, we would need proper versions of those particular characters and moving to 12 inches from then on out. I actually want a re-do of Superman in his classic Super Powers colors. I am just not for that mentioned collection of figs in a seven pack, but I do think a seven pack would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 pm 
3 3/4"

I knew I should have spelled out what version would go in the 7 pack. Batman Wonder Woman and Superman would be the Super Power colors. Flash would be the Dark Flash. Manhunter could have the look he had before he died.Aquaman wold be the 90s look.Green Lantern could be Kyle Rayner.I know that pack would sell and fast. This would please the mom and grandmas out there who only buy big names. All the die hards get what they have wanted. Win WIn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Ashxking wrote:
I knew I should have spelled out what version would go in the 7 pack. Batman Wonder Woman and Superman would be the Super Power colors. Flash would be the Dark Flash. Manhunter could have the look he had before he died.Aquaman wold be the 90s look.Green Lantern could be Kyle Rayner.I know that pack would sell and fast. This would please the mom and grandmas out there who only buy big names. All the die hards get what they have wanted. Win WIn

I would SO buy that.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I say go back to your roots and start fresh with a Batman headed line, but work it as follows....

Do a batman retail line preferably or a bi monthly 6 figure sub and set it up with one of the versions in each set as follows:

1x Batman (any incarnation from the comics, AzBats first costume, Elseworlds, variant costumes, different eras, Dick Grayson Batman, Movie Masters)

1x Robin (small teen buck Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne Robin, Tim Drake original outfit on small teen buck, redux of Red Robin outfit on the older teen buck, Stephanie Brown Robin, Earth Two Robin, NU52 Robin, Red Robin on older teen buck, Carrie Kelly Robin, Perez New Teen Titans disco collar Nightwing on older teen buck, Night Fall era Nightwing, NU52 Nightwing)

1x Batman supporting character (Huntress - 90's Morrisson costume, classic/Earth Two huntress costume, Oracle, Stephanie Brown Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, Batwoman, Catwoman - Balent costume, Catwoman Long Halloween costume, Catwoman in grey catsuit with tail, etc)

2x Classic villains (take your pick...Killer Croc (using MotUC parts), KGBeast (using MotUC parts), Talia, Firefly, Classic Poison Ivy with white skin and green tights, Ventriloquist and Scarface, The Mad Hatter, The Wrath, Rat Catcher, New Scarecrow, Anarky 90's, Classic Black Mask, Black Spider etc , the list goes on and they wouldn't all have to be Batman villains, they can be any villain he has come up against, see below....

1x DC Universe team up character (anyone one in the DCU that has worked with or teamed up with Batman, so any of the Classic Outsiders, so basically use the Batman Brave and The Bold template. This is where you could fill out the DCUC roster again.

If you worked to that mix you could continue on DC Universe all under the banner of it being a Batman line, we'd all know roughly what to look forward to with each wave.

This is one of the best ways to resell DCU to retailers IMO as Batman always sells.