Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Do you plan on collecting DC Total Heroes?
Yes, I plan on collecting all the figures 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I may occasionally pick up a figure 38%  38%  [ 24 ]
No, this line does not interest me 60%  60%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject: Re: Do you plan on collecting DC Total Heroes?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 pm 
An Insider

ausbot wrote:
It depends on how the set pans out. I'm sick of starting collections and them leaving vital characters out. My example of this is Brave bold, the line looked promising then petered out, and then not releasing figures like Shazam and Dr polaris.

If Mattel continues their practice of only releasing 4 figures per wave, the line may not last long enough to get to some unique characters.
Wave 1: Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Sinestro

Other figures seen so far: Aquaman, Flash, Batman Beyond, Reverse Flash, Blue Beetle, Black Manta, Custom Blank
More reveals were promised for NYCC including the first female figure in the line.

Other characters that I can see them doing: Shazam, Black Adam, The Atom

I would be much more interested in this line if it were done in the 4" scale.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:48 am 
ABS

I don't know about anyone else but 2014 seems to be shaping up as a depressing year for figure collecting. To be honest I welcome the break, I spend too much money on this stuff.

Last edited by Superpowers1980 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 am 
Collector Inspector

When these were announced they were being reported as $9.99. Now they're $12.99, which I guess makes more sense, because 4-inch figures are $9.99 these days. Still, it got my hopes up that these were going to be $9.99. I mostly have a negative reaction to these because they are, in a certain point of view, replacing DCUC and the Unlimited lines. I might buy the Sinestro and GL if I can boil and pop and customize, otherwise I'll stay away from these.

I would much rather not buy and send a message to Mattel that 'these aren't wanted", but if moms and kids like them, then I hope for the DC brand and Mattel's sake, they sell well. Personally, I want nicer quality sculpts and figures these days, not corny, cartoony sculpts and kid stuff. It's kinda sad that this is the DC stuff that the Four Horsemen have to do now. It would be hard to have any artistic pride in these, I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 am 
ABS

Superpowers1980 wrote:
I don't about anyone else but 2014 seems to be shaping up as a depressing year for figure collecting. To be honest I welcome the break, I spend too much money on this stuff.

I hear ya. I'll track down figures I missed, but other than that, I'll probably curtail things a bit. My credit card will thank me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:41 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

When was it announced that the price changed?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 am 
MINT!

funtime3 wrote:
When these were announced they were being reported as $9.99. Now they're $12.99, which I guess makes more sense, because 4-inch figures are $9.99 these days. Still, it got my hopes up that these were going to be $9.99. I mostly have a negative reaction to these because they are, in a certain point of view, replacing DCUC and the Unlimited lines. I might buy the Sinestro and GL if I can boil and pop and customize, otherwise I'll stay away from these.

I would much rather not buy and send a message to Mattel that 'these aren't wanted", but if moms and kids like them, then I hope for the DC brand and Mattel's sake, they sell well. Personally, I want nicer quality sculpts and figures these days, not corny, cartoony sculpts and kid stuff. It's kinda sad that this is the DC stuff that the Four Horsemen have to do now. It would be hard to have any artistic pride in these, I would think.

i wouldn't even waste the money on the gas or electricity needed to bring the water to a boil....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am 
ABS

starks wrote:
Superpowers1980 wrote:
I don't about anyone else but 2014 seems to be shaping up as a depressing year for figure collecting. To be honest I welcome the break, I spend too much money on this stuff.

I hear ya. I'll track down figures I missed, but other than that, I'll probably curtail things a bit. My credit card will thank me.

EXACTLY. IMO this is just another attempt to reduce cost while charging up costumers....if these sell a year from now they will be 15.99 and the year after 20.00.

I am going to send a major message to Mattel, these changes are dead to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 am 
An Insider

That is $12.99 at BBTS an online vendor.
They probably will still sell for $9.99 at Target and Walmart. I can see Toys-R-Us charging more at first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

If these had kept the DCUC style but were cut down to the articulation these have then I think they would've got many of us on board. But as they are, it's an over simplified design, a waste of the 4H contract and a big no from me.

I don't like the way Toy Guru appears to be dismissing any chance of a return to DCUC by the 4H in the future. I'm sure after a hiatus the line could be re-imagined and refocused to come back to retail. Yes, it would mean repeats of the heavy hitters/Nu52 in each wave, but if it still gave us one or two classics per wave then I'm sure we would cope.

If they don't see the opportunity to do this when the new Batman/Superman movie comes out in a couple of years time, then they will be stupider than a guy with a money printing press that can't be bothered to plug it in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 pm 
Resin

I invested in DC Universe and its compatible spin-offs. As Scott bragged, Mattel made something like 200 figures, and I own basically every single one. If Mattel thinks for one second that I will be starting a new collection of all the same characters that don't fit in with my current 200-figure investment, it's out of its mind.

If Mattel wants to cut me out of its sales figure by not finding a way to continue the 4H style of figure, then it's on its own. I sincerely doubt Total Heroes will be flying off the shelves if it's left exclusively mother and children. There's no reason Mattel couldn't have continued spin-off lines with the same 4H style. The current 6" figures are apparently so successful that the pegs are empty of them, save for maybe a single figure, for the vast majority of the time.

But be my guest, Scott, cut out and alienate your core base of fans because there "aren't enough of them." Just because people won't subscribe blindly for 12 half-@$$ed, disappointing figures that cost more than retail + shipping + dealing with Digital River, doesn't mean there aren't people who would buy these figures if you could do your job and sell them to retailers. So, go ahead and end one of the most successful lines of all time that could have kept on going and making money.

I'm done with Mattel. When MOTUC ends, I'll never have another reason to buy from that company. It drives into the ground nearly every single license it touches and excels at creating an astounding amount of bad blood.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:40 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

GoldBlade6 wrote:
I'm done with Mattel. When MOTUC ends, I'll never have another reason to buy from that company. It drives into the ground nearly every single license it touches and excels at creating an astounding amount of bad blood.

Yeah, over 200 DCUC hundred figures. Another 200 hundred plus figures for DCAU. They sure drove the license into the ground.

:roll:

We barely got ANYBODY!

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I don't think anyone can argue we didn't get a vast amount of characters, the line is huge. But, there are still way more than enough A, B, even D list characters or variants that can still be made. The line sold at retail, and I honestly believe with the right push, marketing and sales pitch at toy fair and poduct meetings Mattel could get retailers back on board.

Walmart, Target etc buy in on each new fad, each time it's a gamble and they never have a 100% guarantee that their backing and purchase will pay off. It's all based on a sales pitch of what is expected. That's why with each new movie that warrants a toy line we get figures, some sell like hot cakes, some bomb, but they keep taking chances on each new franchise/promised hit.

Re-brand and revive the line in a year and sell it to them like its the greatest thing they've never had. If you can get them to buy in to Total Heroes, why not push to get them to buy into another 'new' line that just so happens to be a re-working of DCUC?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:47 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I will bite, elvis. Name an A-lister that hasn't been done by now. I would say there are none left. Heck, there aren't B-listers. Now, below that, absolutely.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Resin

Shellhead wrote:
GoldBlade6 wrote:

Yeah, over 200 DCUC hundred figures. Another 200 hundred plus figures for DCAU. They sure drove the license into the ground.

:roll:

We barely got ANYBODY!

Yup. DC Universe lasted a while, so I guess we'll just forget every other failed attempt:

Back to the Future.
Ghostbusters.
DC Infinite Heroes.
DC Infinite Earths.
Young Justice.
All the DC 6" spin-off lines they couldn't manage to sell to retail.
All Retro-Action.
The awful Green Lantern movie line that we can't seem to scrape off the pegs.

I'm sure others could add to this list.

Shellhead wrote:
Name an A-lister that hasn't been done by now. I would say there are none left. Heck, there aren't B-listers. Now, below that, absolutely.

And, yeah, maybe we got some incarnation of most A-listers, but we may never see a 90's Kyle Rayner, Hook-hand Aquaman, Aqualad, Speedy, and many other fan-demanded characters or those that would have been released if Mattel hadn't tanked DCIE.

I really don't know what's wrong with you... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:09 pm 
3 3/4"

Look at some of the cool JLU villians that would be have been perfect in the DCUC line.Frost,Heatwave.Evil Star.Lex in a suit.Lasha Doomsday.If you wanted a rebranding why do that. All your favorite cartoon characters in a 6inch scale

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next