Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: You had the DC 2013 sub, but didn't get the 2014 sub. Why?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

We all know the DCIE/DCUC/DC Classics sub only drew 63% of what it needed for 2014. So roughly one in three current subscribers decided not to continue. I am just curious why.

Please only reply if you had a 2013 DC subscription through Matty, but for whatever reason didn't continue for 2014. We have enough "Mattel sucks" thread hijackers as it is. :wink:

I'd just like to hear from the 37%. Was it the cost? Was it the shipping? The character choices? Or some other reason?

So sound off 37%, I am truly curious.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: You had the DC 2013 sub, but didn't get the 2014 sub. W
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
Aspires to be #1

They screwed me with their character choices for 2 years. That was enough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:55 pm 
Former King of Posts

interesting. Overall, I think they went pretty broad and did a good job covering a lot of territory in the past 2 years. They covered a lot of missing JL members and completed the Metal Men. Which characters did you not want?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Yes, Mattel does suck! lol

But I did sign up for the sub this year because I wanted Doomsday. I would have rather had the unleashed Doomsday. But I was seriously hoping for any Doomsday. I would have been pleased if we made it to the containment suit version. But from some people I spoke with, that seemed to be the problem for them. The first tier Doomsday they felt was just a smack in the face from mattel because not many of them wanted that figure. They all thought the second tier should have just been offered as an incentive & that's all. Obviously it would have been better if that were the situation. Although I can't tell the future, but I think we would have made the mark if that were the case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:12 am 
Aspires to be #1

superfriend wrote:
interesting. Overall, I think they went pretty broad and did a good job covering a lot of territory in the past 2 years. They covered a lot of missing JL members and completed the Metal Men. Which characters did you not want?

I'll break it down into two categories I guess, characters I flat out didn't want and characters I expected but still didn't want.

Expected but did not want

Elastigirl
Platinum and Tin
Lead
Fire

Didn't want at all

Rocket Red
Constantine
Uncle Sam
Phantom Stranger
Red Hood
Ocean Master
Batzarro
Mallah and the brain

The first group I knew would show up and I was wiling to bite that bullet but the second group were the surprises. Eight surprises plus the other four adds up to an entire year of figures I would have passed on at retail. It was just too much for a third year of all in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 am 
PVC

j1h15233 wrote:
superfriend wrote:

I'll break it down into two categories I guess, characters I flat out didn't want and characters I expected but still didn't want.

Expected but did not want

Elastigirl
Platinum and Tin
Lead
Fire

Didn't want at all

Rocket Red
Constantine
Uncle Sam
Phantom Stranger
Red Hood
Ocean Master
Batzarro
Mallah and the brain

The first group I knew would show up and I was wiling to bite that bullet but the second group were the surprises. Eight surprises plus the other four adds up to an entire year of figures I would have passed on at retail. It was just too much for a third year of all in.

While I wanted ever figure on your lists except for Constantaine, I do understand your point. The figures you have listed under the ones you "didn't want at all" with the exception of (Ocean Master) I can understand how you feel about them. It would not of been so bad had they not gone so far and so long into the so-called fringe characters. This past year just seemed so spiceless. They didn't offer a healthy mix of characters and while that is fine for DC lovers like myself I do feel they didn't mix it up enough especially with fan favorites. I think of those listed on your "didn't want" list only Ocean Master and Mallah were essentials, though I personally loved Phantom Stranger, he just seemed to rub everyone the wrong way? Red Hood, Uncle Sam, Red Rocket were the biggest slaps in the face.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:33 am 
Aspires to be #1

Also, two more things

1. If they had given us leather jacket/red helmet Red Hood then I would have liked it

2. If we had Mera and Aqualad and/or Aquagirl then I'm fine with Ocean Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm 

Okay, that's one person who's major beef was character selection. That I get. One man's trash, etc.

There have to more of you on the board. I'm not bashing, I'd just like to know why you decided to drop this year after subbing last year.

BTW as far as character selection goes Constantine, Red Hood (the version we got anyway), and Phantom Stranger were high on my don't want list. I sold two of them off with little trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
shirtless hugger

For me, it was cost. The wife is none too happy with me about this hobby, but the increased cost per figure and the shipping- well it just became unsustainable given the limited amount of disposable income I have. I wasn't crazy with some of the character selection either, I'm glad they completed the Metal Men, but I feel like they skimped on other characters like Elongated Man, who should have at least come with a long neck. I'm not a fan of the rainbow lanterns, Constantine or Uncle Sam, but I know some people are, and adding these figures certainly shows the variety and depth of the DC Universe.

I just wish some more of the more demanded characters (hook hand Aquaman, T-shirt Superboy, Mera, Oracle, etc.) had been more prevalent in the first two years.

Or, if they just offered 4 quarter figures or maybe 6 figures annually I could have afforded that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:02 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I kind of feel like I've talked over lengths about this, but I'll chime in again. For me it was cost, character selection and Matty expecting us to go in blindly a 3rd year in a row. When I started with the club we were a 2 income household and we could swing it easily. By year 2 I was a stay at home dad, but still my wife made it happen. Like j1h, I was a little disappointed with the character selection and for me it was the Rainbow Corp. Swing around to year 3 and a few things became apparent to me. Price was increasing and character selection was pleeple poor in my opinion. It kind of felt like the bait and switch when it came to the Doomsday and character announcement. Same old shingbling, different year. Nothing Matty presented me with this year convinced me it would be different this go round. Honestly, we had a good run on DCUC(IE), but there are better figures being done out there that are worth the money I'll spend on them to put them in my collection. It also doesn't help that retail and specialty are getting pretty close to price anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:29 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead wrote:
Okay, that's one person who's major beef was character selection. That I get. One man's trash, etc.

There have to more of you on the board. I'm not bashing, I'd just like to know why you decided to drop this year after subbing last year.

BTW as far as character selection goes Constantine, Red Hood (the version we got anyway), and Phantom Stranger were high on my don't want list. I sold two of them off with little trouble.

I was 2012 and not 2013...but I didn't care for the character selection (much like jlh) nor did I think the cost was worth it. Add to too many poor QC issues with the retail figures, and with 2 of the figures I got in the sub in 2012, I just decided to pass. Rising costs this year kept me from pulling the trigger when I actually considered it in 2013 as some of the figures appealed to me.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:21 am 
shirtless hugger

I subbed twice in 2013, and couldn't afford to do that again for 2014. I was on the fence about subbing at all, but decided to buy-in to support the line and hope for characters I cared more about than redos of Aquaman and Superboy.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:47 am 

Seems like character selection is the primary reason, with cost a secondary factor.

Makes me think DCUC had reached saturation level. The line was getting too deep in the bench for quite a few collectors. Perhaps a more targeted sub (as has been mentioned by other posters, including a fine blog by Superfriend) would alleviate this.

Maybe two six month subs a year. One revealed at Toyfair for Jan-June and one at SDCC for July-Dec (since Mattel is constantly telling us it takes a year to make a toy). Some possible examples:

1) Batman Family (Alfred, Bruce, Batwoman, Commisioner Gordon, etc.)

2) Flash Rogues (Heat wave, Trickster, Weather Wizard, etc.)

3) Titans (Aqualad, Speedy, Cassie Wonder Girl, etc.)

4) Villains (Vandel Savage, Promentheus, Circe, etc.)

5) Legion (Dawnstar, Blok, etc.)

6) Women of the DCU (Mera, Vixen, Talia, etc.)

However, I just don't see anything non-Batman relating hitting the numbers they want. Maybe the women sub.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I just received and email from Matty letting me know the MOTUC sub is re-opening.

I wonder if it'd make any difference at all if they were to re-open the DC sub .....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Re-opening the DC sub wouldn't make a difference. There still wouldn't be enough subscribers to make it reach the needed amount. Toyguru has pretty much said that DCUC/DCIE is dead. They won't rebrand it or reconfigure it. They can't release figures like Doomsday as one-offs because it's the limited tooling on other figures which offset the costs for characters like these.