Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Watchmen Interview
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

I guess at least he was honest in the answers and actually answered most questions directly--

But once again I sometimes get dumbfounded..

AFi: Was there ever a consideration that if these did well you could do other mini-subs based on popular specific DC Comics storylines, series or miniseries for Matty?

Scott: Yes, but as noted, they did not meet the sales expectations we needed so we dropped any other ideas for other mini subs.

Thats just ridiculous-- thats like Hasbro saying-- well the Big Hero 6 set didnt sell-- lets not try a X-Men, Sinister 6 or Avengers set.

You use characters from a overhyped 25 year old comic series to determine whether or not that similiar format would sell with a more interested grouping. Say Secret Six, Teen Titans Or even a storyline-- like Batman:Knightfall, Hush or even War Games.. -- or something along those lines.

I just dont get it sometimes

Post subject: Re: Watchmen Interview
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:32 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Mini-subs I would have been all in for (with suggestions!):

1) Bat family (Batwoman, Alfred, Gordon, Tim Drake Robin, Talia, Bruce Wayne)
2) Flash Rogues (Heatwave, Weather Wizard, Trickster, etc.)
3) Aqua-verse (Mera, Aqualad, Tempest, Aquagirl, Fisherman, Scavenger)
4) Secret Six (Scandal Savage, Ragdoll, King Shark, Knockout, the Banshee chick)
5) Secret Society (pretty much any villain they haven't made yet)
6) Women of the Legion (Dawnstar, Shadowlass, Shrinking Violet, etc)
7) Emotional Spectrum (more Lanterns from every Corps, especially Yellow, Green, and Red)
8) Titans (classic Speedy, classic Aqualad, Jericho, Terra, Brother Blood, Cassie Wondy)

I still hope to see something like this in a few years.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 am 
serves the Otter

Shellhead wrote:

1 ) Bat family (Batwoman, Alfred, Gordon, Tim Drake Robin, Talia, Bruce Wayne)
2 ) Flash Rogues (Heatwave, Weather Wizard, Trickster, etc.)
3 ) Aqua-verse (Mera, Aqualad, Tempest, Aquagirl, Fisherman, Scavenger)
4 ) Secret Six (Scandal Savage, Ragdoll, King Shark, Knockout, the Banshee chick)
5 ) Secret Society (pretty much any villain they haven't made yet)
6 ) Women of the Legion (Dawnstar, Shadowlass, Shrinking Violet, etc)
7 ) Emotional Spectrum (more Lanterns from every Corps, especially Yellow, Green, and Red)
8 ) Titans (classic Speedy, classic Aqualad, Jericho, Terra, Brother Blood, Cassie Wondy)

Out of that list, the only subs I would've passed, would've been the Women of the Legion and the Green Lantern Spectrum stuff. But that's the key, right there. Your subs narrow the field enough so that subscribers can still pick-&-chose what they like without their decisions crippling the sub. They also give subscribers a better sense of what they're buying. Mattel refused to do either, thinking that a general DC sub could be everything to everybody (and ended up feeling like a waste of money to one third of the people.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:39 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Oddly enough I saw these at a toy show at a hot wheels dealer booth. I was afraid to ask the prices, being that I already spent my limit that day. They are cool for sure but not essential IMO since there is no nostalgia factor and Watchmen action figures is an oxymoron to the spirit of the series. But they never stopped anybody in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 pm 
Displays Backwards

Shellhead wrote:

6) Women of the Legion (Dawnstar, Shadowlass, Shrinking Violet, etc)

This mini-sub would have been too wonderful to exist. Legion ladies deserve more love.

I would love to see a mini-sub for Legion Villains (the other 4 from the Fatal Five, LOSV members)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 am 
Bob Vila

I like all your suggestions for the different mini subs and would have gone all in for the Legion Ladies and the Titans. I'd get Tempest from the Aquaman sub to complete my Titans display. For the Batman one Batwoman, Alfred, Gordon Bruce Wayne and Talia are great choices. Personally I would like Stephanie Brown as Spoiler instead of a Tim Drake as Robin figure.

I would do a Morrison JLA with Zauriel, Kyle Rayner in his 90's uniform, Tomorrow Woman, Prometheus, Oracle, and include the Aquaman with his harpoon hand.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 am 
Fugitive Dust

red Ricky wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

1 ) Bat family (Batwoman, Alfred, Gordon, Tim Drake Robin, Talia, Bruce Wayne)
2 ) Flash Rogues (Heatwave, Weather Wizard, Trickster, etc.)
3 ) Aqua-verse (Mera, Aqualad, Tempest, Aquagirl, Fisherman, Scavenger)
4 ) Secret Six (Scandal Savage, Ragdoll, King Shark, Knockout, the Banshee chick)
5 ) Secret Society (pretty much any villain they haven't made yet)
6 ) Women of the Legion (Dawnstar, Shadowlass, Shrinking Violet, etc)
7 ) Emotional Spectrum (more Lanterns from every Corps, especially Yellow, Green, and Red)
8 ) Titans (classic Speedy, classic Aqualad, Jericho, Terra, Brother Blood, Cassie Wondy)

Out of that list, the only subs I would've passed, would've been the Women of the Legion and the Green Lantern Spectrum stuff. But that's the key, right there. Your subs narrow the field enough so that subscribers can still pick-&-chose what they like without their decisions crippling the sub. They also give subscribers a better sense of what they're buying. Mattel refused to do either, thinking that a general DC sub could be everything to everybody (and ended up feeling like a waste of money to one third of the people.)

I would've skipped those two as well. I'd replace either of those two with a Royal Flush Gang sub.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:09 am 
Fugitive Dust

Nitewing73 wrote:
I would do a Morrison JLA with Zauriel, Kyle Rayner in his 90's uniform, Tomorrow Woman, Prometheus, Oracle, and include the Aquaman with his harpoon hand.

Since that Aquaman is already coming out, why not a Connor Hawke figure?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:15 am 
Fugitive Dust

stewbacca wrote:
I guess at least he was honest in the answers and actually answered most questions directly--

But once again I sometimes get dumbfounded..

AFi: Was there ever a consideration that if these did well you could do other mini-subs based on popular specific DC Comics storylines, series or miniseries for Matty?

Scott: Yes, but as noted, they did not meet the sales expectations we needed so we dropped any other ideas for other mini subs.

Thats just ridiculous-- thats like Hasbro saying-- well the Big Hero 6 set didnt sell-- lets not try a X-Men, Sinister 6 or Avengers set.

You use characters from a overhyped 25 year old comic series to determine whether or not that similiar format would sell with a more interested grouping. Say Secret Six, Teen Titans Or even a storyline-- like Batman:Knightfall, Hush or even War Games.. -- or something along those lines.

I just dont get it sometimes

Maybe the problem was their sales expectations. They had to go less than the numbers for the DCIE 2013 subscription, don't you think. Whatever that number was, we'll never know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:23 pm 
Hat Pooper

I think a 90s wave would have done huge numbers. Conner Hawk,Green Lanter Kyle.Zuriel,Prometheus,