Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It's been almost a year since the last JLU
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:13 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I was just looking at the Wikipedia article listing the JLU figures and realized it has been almost a year since the last new JLU figures sold on mattycollector.com. On the one hand it makes me a bit melancholy since the Timmverse is basically the core of my collection. On the other hand it was a relief to stop chasing down figures. It was a bigger relief to avoid the really expensive matty prices. I never did get an original Volcana, so I'll have to do with a custom Stew's amazing headsculpt. I believe I have every other figure that I wanted.

In order to help fill the void, I've spent the past year tracking down the mini maquettes. I've managed to get the magnificent seven plus Aquaman for decent prices. They look really great on display.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that in case no one else noticed.

Post subject: Re: It's been almost a year since the last JLU
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 am 
Aspires to be #1

I guess it has been just a year. It feels like it's been 10.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:32 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah.

I'm very happy with the collection I have. I'm sad to see it has gone.

But at this point, I'd much rather just leave it alone than start trying to bring it back. This past year with no JLU news/releases/arguments/wishlists/etc. has been kinda nice for me and given me a chance to start expanding my awareness into other areas.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:36 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well I know I do not miss the headache. I was going to put them away but I still have them on display. I just rearranged the whole display though. The good thing is I've been able to concentrate more on my vintage 80s G.I. Joes. I've really built up my collection since JLU's end.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

It would be fun to see the line come back somehow though...maybe through like a Matty Subscription?

:: ducks ::

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 am 
Santos L. Halper

The Superfly wrote:
It would be fun to see the line come back somehow though...maybe through like a Matty Subscription?

:: ducks ::

NO!

[Throws the biggest tire iron I can find towards Super Fly]

8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:07 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Forget the toyline, bring back the show! :evil:

There is currently no serious DCU cartoon on the air and there hasn't been for several months (since Beware the Batman went on "hiatus").

Nothing but endless Teen Titans Go reruns. And don't get me wrong, TTG often brings a laugh, but it's no Timmverse.

And don't get me started on Young Justice. :cry:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:00 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

yeah, I really don't understand why there isn't any quality DC animation...with all the amazing things we have seen from the DC Shorts, and with the push for the exposure from DC, why aren't we seeing another new JLU-type show??

:?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:31 pm 
shirtless hugger

I generally find it Teen Titans Go to be pretty tepid. I liked the first television series and have it all on DVD. My daughter (who adored the original Titans series and liked the Tiny Titans comics) doesn't even watch the new toon any more. I think I've got five or so episodes still on the DVR unwatched.

How is it doing in the ratings? Does anybody know? The toys don't seem to be flying off the shelves at TRU.

Anyway, I agree DC needs to put a decent animated series on the air. Beware the Batman is okay, but it's not earth-shattering. Marvel is really kicking DC's behind on the animated television series front. My daughter considers Avengers to be must-see TV (I do, too).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 pm 
Brand Manager

Shellhead wrote:
Forget the toyline, bring back the show! :evil:

The show has been "re-running" on the CW Vortexx block for the last 2 years to huge ratings! Which is funny, 'cause well... leave it to Mattel to cancel a line just before it's about to get a whole new generation of tiny new customers.

As for a subscription... I once made a list of all the cool new JLU characters that could be made by simply repainting existing tooling (meaning a small investment from Mattel) and came up to 36 figures. Which is a whole year's worth of 3 packs w/ minimal investment. I even thought about bringing it to ToyGuru's attention. That, plus the show's ratings, plus a completist fanbase that doesn't pick-&-choose, plus a fanbase that never got the "meter option"...

Well, the thought of asking "what do you have to lose?" came to mind. But knowing how ToyGuru is, I stopped myself. Even if the guy addressed the question, it would've been to provide a million reasons as to why it couldn't be done (i.e. running the meter is too expensive, we don't want to pay the guy that repaints figures, little kids aren't interested even if the show has good ratings, etc.) The point is, Mattel is dead set on pushing those cartoony multiverse 6 inch figures that won't fly with collectors, nor fans of the JLU & DCUC lines; and the only thing we can do is watch the car drive off a cliff.

Last edited by red Ricky on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
Brand Manager

The Superfly wrote:
yeah, I really don't understand why there isn't any quality DC animation...with all the amazing things we have seen from the DC Shorts, and with the push for the exposure from DC, why aren't we seeing another new JLU-type show??

It looks like the Justice League DVDs cost less to produce and bring in as much revenue. A new TV series requires a lot of more work, plus a sort of "co-opting" from a network, as well as a toy company. So while I miss the Timmverse terribly, I'm not that big of a fan of the new 52 direction everything is being forced into. So it's a toss up for me. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if the next batch of DC projects were meant to support a Snyder Superman/Batfleck world view. So it may be a while before we get quality TV.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 pm 
Aspires to be #1

It's amazing really how much JLU merchandise is still sold in stores. I see it all the time and yet there's no support for a show or a toy line. Give me a break.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
The Last Word

The Superfly wrote:

Patience.

It's a shame about Beware the Batman, but something new is coming.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm 
ABS

Amazing figures, I wish it never ended and I wish we got some titans but its all good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 am 
Brand Manager

I think Matty is fools not t release single carded JLU or heck label em Batman / Superman figures. They would be cheap enough Mattel just has to get them to store for under $5 and they would do good , look at all Hasbros cheap crap lines and they cost more then $5 each.
Wave 1
Batman
NEW TIM DRAKE ROBIN
Joker
Superman
Luminus - SIMPLE REPAINT / NEW HEAD
Bizarro

Sooooo little tooling just keep the packaging costs down sheesh !