Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DCUC - So close and yet so far away
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:24 pm 
Aspires to be #1

So I recently got out all of my DCUC figures because I'm selling them and each time I picked up a figure that will be especially hard for me to get rid of, I found myself thinking...well, they never really got to that member of the team. I know they got us over 200 figures and they did finish some teams but how many did they leave undone?

90's JLA won't have the right Rayner
The Flash rogues are pathetically short of a full team
The Flash and Marvel families are still waiting to start their reunions
Seven Soldiers are missing people
Green Arrow is extremely lonely
The Legion is missing key members
The Teen Titans are a nightmare of different eras colliding
The Secret Six is the secret three
Both the modern and classic versions of the JSA come up short
The Black, Blue, Red, Indigo and Orange lantern groups are missing key people
Aquaman is missing most of his friends and enemies
Superman has a weak villain showing, most notably missing business suit Lex
Batman is missing imo two key figures in Alfred and Gordon as well as several smaller players like Talia and Mad Hatter
The Fatal Five, Doom Patrol, Metal Men and Freedom Fighters are short members
The New Gods are missing figures on both sides of good and evil
Even the beloved Super Powers didn't quite get to everyone in their right look

It's amazing to think about how great the line was and yet how unfinished it feels when I lay them all out and really think about their affiliations. There's probably some teams and groups that I forgot about too.

Post subject: Re: DCUC - So close and yet so far away
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:04 pm 
Collector Inspector

You have some good points I agree with and some I don't. It's difficult for me to look at my huge DC Universe collection and feel dissatisfied. As a whole, it feels more like a success.

I could see how some fans of specific teams could be dissatisfied. Especially with The Teen Titans. I was never expecting the Secret Six or Fatal Five so it seems odd to be down on Mattel about that. I AM down on Mattel about a lot of things, and they should understand that unhappy customers lead to poor sales on future lines.

I'm mostly bitter at retail and the new economical pressures to be lighter with inventory, to cut the cord on support for toy lines quickly, to overstock first waves and never ever ever stock later waves LIKE IN MY CITY, and to request cheaper price point figures that can be fun...sometimes.. but hold little collector appeal and end up just being junky-looking.

But like you, I'm looking at my huge collection and asking, "do I want all these?". Having a complete Metal Men, leads me to keeping them, but my odd Teen titans collection is actually making me think of getting rid of my Deathstroke. Maybe I have too much? I'm thinking of getting rid of some teams and odd figures that don't fit in with specific groupings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:28 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily down on Mattel, but my perception was that they did finish a lot of teams and then looking at everything all laid out like that, I realized how many they didn't. And regarding the Fatal five, I don't really care about them all that much but why only make one of them? Why not have Doomsday as that CnC instead of Validus (who is a great looking figure by the way)? Weird choices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm 
ABS

Maybe Mattys final surprise will give us something to hope for. If its not doomsday, Id want Granny or some furies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:16 am 
Collector Inspector

I agree. I think even by Wave 15, they were coasting on the presumption that DCUC will last a while and that they were thinking more "expansion" and less "completing teams", thus Validus. At that time, Stores were still ordering lots of DCUC product. Exclusives, multi-packs, etc. There must have been grumblings early on and exactly when they came to a cancellation decision, is hard for me to know. I'd love to know.

As for the final surprise, I have a gut feeling it's a set of Super Powers repaints with one little extra goody. It's hard for me to see them budgeting for new DCUC sculpting at this point, but I don't know, maybe it's something really new and mind-blowing.

I like Validus, by the way. t's sad my love for the figure has waned just because I have nobody to match him with in my display. So a great looking toy begins to feel unnecessary.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

FYI Scott has been making some rumblings over at the Matty board lately that there most likely won't be any "Last hurrah" because 61%, blah blah blah etc. etc. etc.
he also said that if we want more DC product we should buy the available / new DC product. My problem is, I want DCUC product, not the over stylized kiddie product they have planned, I just don't personally dig it. I might change my mind when I see it in stores, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:27 am 
Aspires to be #1

I never believed they were doing a last hurrah anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:47 am 
Collector Inspector

Ah, I see. I don't know where I read him saying there was going to be one last goodie for DCUC fans.

Anyway, I don't have much of a beef with the guy. I think he gets a lot of unnecessary heat. But, I can't stand his bitter, cranky stock answers. He really shows his bitterness over low sales and non-sellouts with anyone asking about a any toy's availability. It's always something in the way of: "Nope. You had your chance. We offered it. The fans weren't there. Your fault."

No, you put your blessed DCUC 2-packs up on Matty, then you took them down. And, when the line grew in popularity, and new fans came on, I couldn't buy them. When they were brought back, I was locked out in the White Screen Of Death for 45 minutes by Digital River.

The Big Lots MOTUC Event proved that if the good stuff (not these inferior Total heroes) are made available and easier to obtain, they will do well and bring in new fans (well, it also proves that scalpers will go crazy). The subscription and the Young Justice 2-pack, on the other hand, failed for a lot of reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'm bummed it's over, but I am impressed at the sheer amount of figures we DID end up getting. 20 waves in this recent retail market is nothing to sneeze at.

I doubt we'll see anything like it again. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:52 pm 
ABS

I have no problem with scott, but if he babbled about the figure thats going to a gift to all the fans and doesn't go through with it, my opinions might change because I've been waiting for news for months.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:04 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Yeah Validus was a quaglebeet choice but a massive impressive figure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 pm 
shirtless hugger

The Teen Titans really got a raw deal. They are some of my favorite characters, but the figures of kid Flash beast Boy (shoulda been Changling) and Starfire are just misses. Along with the lack of Jericho and disco nightwing. I also would have loved a starfield repaint Donna Troy, which would have been such a simple repaint. Sigh...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:26 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

funtime3 wrote:
Ah, I see. I don't know where I read him saying there was going to be one last goodie for DCUC fans.

Oh you are absolutely correct, he did say it, but nothing was promised, and based on his current, recent statements it's not looking good. My guess, since it was hinted as Super Powrs related, was a few repaints fans have been demanding (light blue Superman, blue cowled Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. )

He has since posted comments backing off if the possibility, I'm guessing that the remaining DCUC figures, like batzarro, probably aren't setting the sales world on fire, making it a tough sell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 am 
ABS

tanglevine wrote:
The Teen Titans really got a raw deal. They are some of my favorite characters, but the figures of kid Flash beast Boy (shoulda been Changling) and Starfire are just misses. Along with the lack of Jericho and disco nightwing. I also would have loved a starfield repaint Donna Troy, which would have been such a simple repaint. Sigh...

That's what I missed about the line when it was at retail more than anything, that they had variants. That Donna Troy one you mentioned could of had a variant (along with Nightwing and/or Beast Boy). Just think if they had a Dove variant (Don). Or a Kyle Rayner '90s variant with the Green Lantern Classics waves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:44 am 
Collector Inspector

I'm guessing that because Wave 10 was a Walmart exclusive, Mattel opted to not offer a variant for Beast Boy. That's a shame, because Changeling is an obvious and easy variant.

And Donna Troy would have made a better variant than her Wave 13 companion Negative Man, IMO. I'd like to have Wonder Girl and Troia, but I don't necessarily need two Negative Man figures.

I think OMAC would have been an easy variant, too. Just a new head sculpt for Infinite Crisis OMAC. Well, maybe new hands. And legs. OK, not so easy. But it would have been cool!