Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What were your thoughts when Mattel first got the DC rights?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:56 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Putting aside Mattel's lack of coolness now...
back in 2002-03 what did you first think about Mattel getting the rights to DC properties?
Were you excited, Disappointed, or Meh?

D.

Post subject: Re: What were your thoughts when Mattel first got the DC rig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:36 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Looking back now I'd like to think I was "meh", but not in an apathetic way, more in a "at least this will keep Batman on the shelves" kind of way.

However, I was probably overjoyed at the prospect of a company taking over the license from Kenner and offering me a chance to get anyone BUT Batman.

Its been a bit too long for my memory of that moment to be intact, honestly, but for the most part, I'm still happy that Mattel keeps trying, even though they don't always hit the mark.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:57 am 
Cold-cast

I was really excited. At the time, Kenner was just churning out low-quality rainbow colored batman variants at that point. So I was very excited to hear that Mattel had plans for figures, vehicles and playsets based on the DC comic and movie universes.

Ironically, Mattel ended up following the same arc as Kenner did. At first, Kenner produced some amazing toys -- Super Powers, The Dark Knight Collection, the first 100 figures of Batman the Animated Series. By the end, Kenner was just producing cheap and oddly colored Batmen.

When Mattel first acquired the license, we finally received proper 6 inch Batman figures (the precursor to DCUC), a giant Batmobile to fit them in, JLU, Movie Masters, etc. Flash forward to 2014, and Mattel has the DC license pretty much where Kenner had it -- on autopilot.

Mattel has almost completely axed the collector lines. The quality of the Multiverse line is considerably worse than Kenner's Super Powers line from 1984. The Total Heroes line is generic and uninspired, probably due to cost issues. 6 inch Movie Masters is on indefinite hold, possibly with the exception of a few Batman '66 variants. The only thing Mattel has over Kenner at this point is they aren't producing "rainbow" variants.

The lameness of Mattel's "Total Heroes" (Mattel's new flagship DC line) echoes Kenner's awful "Total Justice" line they produced towards the end.

See: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... _6231c.jpg

Hopefully change will come sooner than later. Maybe with the Batman / Superman / JL movie on the way, Mattel will wake back up. Or DC Collectibles will get smart and just do it themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I'm not sure what I thought when Mattel acquired the license for DC. I know at first I know they were just issuing Batman and Superman characters. Their first few offerings were pretty cool and like when Toybiz had the Marvel license, Mattel improved from when it was just the DC Superheroes line to the DC Universe Classics line. The sculpts and the character selection improved a lot.

With the JLU line it was awesome when they expanded the line and we've gotten hundreds of unique characters even completing the JLU team from the show along with some added heroes like Firestorm, Blue Beetle, Adam Strange, Animal Man and others. The negative was the quality of the figures as most figures have a difficult time standing up without help.

The DCIH line will always be along with JLU one of my favorite lines they produced. I thought that had potential to be a really great and expansive line. I know some people would knock it for the big hands or that they weren't Marvel Universe figures but I liked them. For me personally, I was happy to get Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Booster and Captain Atom in a 3-3/4 scale. The only issue with that line to me was the repeats for the 3-packs and multipacks and not mixing in some of their big guns early with their lesser known characters.

I like how Mattel tried to continue JLU in a way with the Young Justice line. Its nice to get the front facade of the Hall of Justice for a display piece. I thought that line ended too soon without getting Nightwing, Blue Beetle, Beast Boy and others from the 2nd season.

I like the Multiverse line. Although the first offerings are more video game/movie versions of characters I feel the figures actually feel sturdy. and the proportions are pretty good (aside from the Batman figure with his pinhead). I think what would make this line be even better is if they mixed it up a little. They should have two to four figures be Comic Book based figures along with 1 movie and 1 video game type figure. I believe that's what most collectors would go for. They could offer a free Batman Arkham City figure with the purchase of the game or something to get people to know about the line more. Offer the video game figures for places like Game Stop. I don't want this line to end too soon without getting some comic based figures.

I think they are trying. The last couple of years I've really cut down on my Mattel purchases. I'll get some of the MOTUC classics but once characters like Extendar and Rio Blast are issued I'm probably done with that line too.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 am 
active in the community

Honestly don't remember. I remember being super excited when hearing that the Horsemen were working on a Batman line, and being amped when I saw a Tomart's magazine with their sculpts first unveiling on it. I had every last variant on that original Batman line.

Now ask me about when they announced that they ripped the WWE license from the horrid Jakks Pacific. THAT one had me elated beyond belief.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I was happy about it. Like everyone said, Hasbro was just producing variants of Batman and when they did produce other characters, the quality was pretty bad (think of the Talia and Poison Ivy from the last few sets). Looking back, I'm still happy that Mattel got the DC license. I never would have imagined to have such an extensive collection of DC characters in DCSH/DCUC. And they were in a consistent style unlike what DC Direct had done at that time. The character selection for JLU is also amazing and other than the unfortunate fact that the figures can't stand, I'm fairly happy with my collection. Their non-collector lines aren't always that exciting but I have to admit that even the Total Heroes they have now look pretty good for what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 pm 
Brand Manager

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Looking back now I'd like to think I was "meh", but not in an apathetic way, more in a "at least this will keep Batman on the shelves" kind of way.

Same here. At the time, Hasbro was only issuing new Batman figures as part of the TRU 4-packs. So Gordon, Alfred, Talia, the Ventriloquist and Ra's all looked good (to me at least); but the format was killing it. Then Mattel got the license and I was disappointed all over again. I mean, the figures looked good, but you still had to buy a 4-pack to get the show accurate Penguin. In the end, it was equally frustrating and expensive. Honestly... they always got something wrong. Show accurate Batgirl came battle damaged, Hawkgirl was impossible to find, Booster Gold was copper and black... etc.

When all is said and done, I think the longevity of these lines has everything to do with the fans love for the characters and very little with how both Mattel and Hasbro handled the lines.

Last edited by red Ricky on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm 
Damage Control

"Ding Dong, the witch is dead!" is what I remember singing when the DC license switched from Hasbro to Mattel. Hasbro had neglected and abused the license for so many long years by then. Looking back now, despite the many, many missteps by Mattel, they still did far and away better than Hasbro ever dreamed of doing back then. (Current choices notwithstanding.)

C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 am 
Resin

When I heard Mattel got the license, I didn't care, because who knew what they would do with it?

But then, they did that cool-looking 6" Batman line, followed up by DC Superheroes which gave us great 6"-scale figures with great articulation and amazing sculpts. Finally, we had something comparable to Marvel Legends in DC.

Shortly thereafter, we got DC Universe with Etrigan in the first wave and a C&C Metamorpho. Now, anything seemed possible. These first few waves of DC Universe were the peak of Mattel's control of the DC license. Then came:
- The first Walmart wave fiasco which angered a good portion of the fan base
- Figures and waves became more scarce (e.g. Gentleman Ghost/Giganta fiasco)
- GLEEK
- No releases of cancelled or barely released figures (e.g. modern Red Tornado, naked Cheetah, variant Dr. Fate or Guardian, etc.)
- Scale controversies (Barda, Darkseid, etc.)
- B.S. 2-pack choices that clogged shelves (e.g. Black Adam/Shazam, etc.)
- Green Lantern water boarding techniques
- Controversially-themed waves
- Ongoing concerns about quality control (e.g. gray film growing on figures, rippage, breakage, different shades of plastic for limbs, poor packaging choices resulting in warped limbs, etc.)
- Prince increases which, although they affected the industry as a whole, seemed particularly hard on Mattel which was already behind the 8 ball with its overall quality and value compared to Marvel Legends (e.g. controversies regarding rocker ankles, wrists, double elbows/knees, etc.) and then increased its prices beyond those of similarly situated 6" lines.

Fans saw the line stagnating and dying, and with Mattel constantly putting down fans' desires and ideas saying that they were not possible (forget Nekron's scythe or a number of other cancelled weapons), customers gradually got fed up and jumped ship. The success of MOTUC also contributed to fans' frustration with DCUC because of the disparate offerings and widespread feeling that DCUC was the silver medal, red-headed step child to Mattel's beloved He-Man franchise and receiving second-rate treatment.

Without addressing any of the above issues quickly or sufficiently enough, the line faded and died, ending with a significant number of disgruntled and largely inconsolable fans.

The questionable character selection and prices of the final Super Powers offering sums it all up. A modern Red Tornado and a scythe wouldn't have been that hard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I became much more excited when the Four Horsemen got involved.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:50 am 
Aspires to be #1

Gl water boarding haha. That was good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:37 am 
ABS

I have never been a fan of Mattel products from all the way back when I was a kid. I had a few MOTU figs, but I have never been impressed with their boy toys. I only got excited once I saw the adverts in the mags.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

"Green Lantern water boarding techniques"

LOL, line of the year!

I was happy when Mattel got the license because of the same reasons everyone has mentioned. Kenner showed what was possible. Hasbro showed arrogance. And now Mattel somewhere in the middle has showed "quantity over quality".

Who knows what happens from here. But after Toy Fair I am way more excited for what DC Collectibles is doing than anything Mattel is. And the best part is DC Collectibles' offerings are priced better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:49 am 
Brand Manager

GoldBlade6 wrote:
When I heard Mattel got the license, I didn't care, because who knew what they would do with it?

But then, they did that cool-looking 6" Batman line, followed up by DC Superheroes which gave us great 6"-scale figures with great articulation and amazing sculpts. Finally, we had something comparable to Marvel Legends in DC.

Now, anything seemed possible.

Then came:

- The first Walmart wave fiasco which angered a good portion of the fan base.
- Figures and waves became more scarce (e.g. Gentleman Ghost/Giganta fiasco.)
- GLEEK.
- No releases of cancelled, or barely released, figures (e.g. modern Red Tornado, naked Cheetah, variant Dr. Fate or Guardian, etc.)
- Scale controversies (Barda, Darkseid, etc.)
- B.S. 2-pack choices that clogged shelves (e.g. Black Adam/Shazam, etc.)
- Green Lantern water boarding techniques.
- Controversially-themed waves
- Ongoing concerns about quality control.
- Price increases which, although they affected the industry as a whole, seemed particularly hard on Mattel (which was already behind the 8 ball with its overall quality and value compared to Marvel Legends.)

Post of the Year!!!

GoldBlade6 wrote:
The success of MOTUC also contributed to fans' frustration with DCUC because of the disparate offerings and widespread feeling that DCUC was the silver medal, red-headed step child to Mattel's beloved He-Man franchise and receiving second-rate treatment.

That's right!!! Case in point... the Comic Con offerings. Mattel always made sure that their MOTUC exclusives (or a version of them) could be bought by those customers who couldn't make it to the conventions. But when it came to DCUC... no Gleek, no Starro Spores and no Plastic Man Briefcase!!!
    "Yup, it sucks to be you. And before you ask... no, we can't afford to include accessories or even make Nekron's scythe. But hey! Aren't you glad we made all those DC Comic book pins??? Pins are cool! Parents and Grandparents love pins!!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:14 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

FAN-DOR wrote:

Who knows what happens from here. But after Toy Fair I am way more excited for what DC Collectibles is doing than anything Mattel is. And the best part is DC Collectibles' offerings are priced better.

25.00- 35.00 for a standard figure only available at comic book stores (online withstanding)- is not priced better, and although they have improved-- DC Collectibles- is still DC direct-- which is the only company I have ever had where limbs fall off the figures why they were standing on the shelf..