Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What were your thoughts when Mattel first got the DC rig
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:34 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

stewbacca wrote:
FAN-DOR wrote:

Who knows what happens from here. But after Toy Fair I am way more excited for what DC Collectibles is doing than anything Mattel is. And the best part is DC Collectibles' offerings are priced better.

25.00- 35.00 for a standard figure only available at comic book stores (online withstanding)- is not priced better, and although they have improved-- DC Collectibles- is still DC direct-- which is the only company I have ever had where limbs fall off the figures why they were standing on the shelf..

Well I don't know where you are going but I have never had to pay over $22 for a standard 6-inch figure. And yes I have experienced limbs that have broken due to temp changes. But that is not unique to DC. I have plenty of Mattel figures that have legs that have come off or are about to and they just lay in a box. My SDCC King Grayskull figure has fallen apart completely and he was sitting in a box. Mattel is the only company I have ever purchased a figure from where the figure exploded when I popped it out of the bubble. I know they say they've fixed that but still it sucks when it happens.

Also, and I know I will take some flak for this but I think DC has better sculpts than what Mattel and the Horseman have produced. I question the Horseman's ability to sculpt depth in their figures. They look good head on but faces and bodies look flat from the side. The female figures being the worst offenders of this. I guess it is all preference but when I buy a Mattel $20 figure I feel like I'm getting screwed a little on the cost and when I buy a DC Collectibles figure I feel I am paying the cost of the extra detail and paint apps. Seems a little more worth it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:42 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DC Direct sculpted the first Justice League Animated Sculpts... that's why they were super good. ;) But Mattel has knocked some sculpts out of the park though, like: Mongul, Kailibak, Parademons, Toyman, Grundy, etc and etc. :)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:09 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

lets be honest dc collectibles are even doing a better job for the batman animated line than mattel

there you
gohttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6l5iKxSrh6E ... tibles.png

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 am 
ABS

I don't get and never got the supposed love for DC Direct/Collectibles. IMO they have the worst quality of all the companies. Mattel is notorious for shoddy quality but I have had more DC Direct figs loose limbs and break for no reason than any Mattel figure. Their original offerings were goofy at best and they never seemed to mature. The only decent line was the Superman/Batman line IMO.

Also when it comes to price lets be real DC Direct is super expensive. 25.00 is the standard for their 6 inch line right and how much is the two pack for their 4/5 inch line?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

DC Direct/Collectibles figures pricing isn't as bad as you might think.

For most lines, I never paid over $15 a figure at my LCS, only recently have the figures started creeping up to the $20 mark.

QC was always a bit of a sticking point, yes. I've had figures that were broken in package (first run Kingdom Come Hawkman's neck joint gap or Crisis on Infinite Earth's first run Huntress with no neck peg are the most obvious examples) but, and this is only my personal experience, I never had any more or less issues with DC's QC than I did with Mattel, Hasbro, or any other toy company's offerings.

As far as DC "maturing" as a company, I think that is based on your personal collecting habits and ideals. I started buying on Day One and I will gladly hold up the first release Wonder Woman to anything produced even 3 years after that as a shining example of growth and learning. The companies agenda has changed a couple of times since its inception yes, but to say they haven't matured really isn't fair or accurate.

Again, to each his own. You and I clearly have different tastes and want the hobby to offer different things from time to time. That's ok. But you should give it a chance before you just blindly write it off.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am 
ABS

I just checked, their 2 pack of 3.75 inch figures range from 25.00 to 30.00. That is the standard, so I don't know where some people may be getting a discount but God bless you and keep shopping there. The standard 6 inch figure is 25.00 bucks, again if you are getting them cheaper keep on shopping.

I never minded DC Direct's varying looks and lines but they still choose to make figures with that horrible hip articulation. They also still make figures with goofy poses that you can't change like the most recent Black Hand and the way his hands are sculpted....I hate that. It is like having an articulated statue.

They have some amazing sculpts but I am not impressed because I still consider their figures statues with limited articulation. IMO they haven't matured into what I believe a standard 6 inch figure should be, granted I don't get those slightly pose-able TV figures and other like them like the Mcfarlane crap either.

I actually have quite a few DC Direct figures and I actually want to sell most of them off. The only standout figures for me were the Parallax from the GL line, (horrible legs aside) the Kilowog from the same line too. I also liked their classic Superman/Batman figures, the Super Friends line, and I plan on getting that huge 52 Darkseid one of these days but other than that I am not impressed with them as a company. As a DC fan I am happy they do exist and cater to a particular market. Oh yeah, their 12 inch figures were great too and better priced that most other lines.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:50 am 
Aspires to be #1

It's no more expensive than Mattel is now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:02 am 
ABS

With this last run, yes. But it is over, this is the last hurrah and for the people that enjoy the Total Heroes line they have those from here on out. After these I am officially done with DC 6 inch figures, I will pick up a few multiverse figs but that is it. I am enjoying the awesome savings!! For as much as I love collecting it really feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am so over the stress and strong desire for these things.

On second thought, if they go into another run of new 6 inch Batman 66 figs or movie masters in the 6 inch form then I will get those.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm 
Resin

At the time I really didn't care.
There were no good DC figures, although sometimes DCDirect would knock out something really cool.

I remember how the little animated Batman figures changed, and that was nice to see some different stuff.
But the first glimmer was the Zipline Batman from the 2003 Batman line...
Then DCSH and it all took off from there.
That's when I really took notice for the first time. Up until then ... nada.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:10 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I agree. DCSH was the beginning of the glory days (since I didn't collect JLU).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:13 pm 
BANNED, for I am scammer Matt Mason

Miss those days, My thoughts when the got the license was bring it on. Then I sold them and now I miss my DCSH/DCUC collection.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
When I first heard Mattel got the license I did not really know what to think, except that the figures would look different than hasbro's STAS and BB lines. I liked those lines when they first came out and still do like them, but the OCD part of me still got annoyed with them not being on model to the shows, (STAS and BB) I loved TNBA, as Hasbro did that line pretty darn well... Aside from a few "meh" figures. ;) But even though I was not familiar with Mattel I was looking forward to what they might have.

Note: I deleted and moved the last part of this post to general toy talk area if anyone wants to post about a fond memory of collecting stuff.
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26293

D.

Last edited by Dusty on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 am 
serves the Otter

Double post... Apologies. :oops:

D.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 am 
serves the Otter

Triple post sorry...