Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: One last final DCUC: so who will be the surprise figure?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am 
Collector Inspector

These are fantastic, I totally knew they were going to do Super Powers, but not a whole wave like this. But MattyCollector ? Sorry, no. A little too pricey. I wish this was done as a retail DCUC 5-pack years ago. I would have dropped the $75 for them. But at this price, dang , can't do it. I think I'd rather spend the money on some original vintage carded SP figures. But, I'm only complaining about the price and MattyCollector. I love these, good job Mattel, I wish I could buy them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 am 
ABS

I'd only have interest in Mxy too, but I don't think I'll bother with Mattycollector anymore. $40 (shipping) isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
While a Shazam! would've been nice, it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I hear ya. That seems to be the consensus even for people who care about the Super Powers matching up. I guess the end result just messes with my robot brain. I see 34 things with 34 corresponding things. I see an effort to make all 34 match as well as possible. Then I see 33 get corrected, #34 is skipped, and then 35 & 36 are thrown into the 2nd group. ERROR ERROR, DOES NOT COMPUTE, ERROR, CLU's mission is to design the perfect system.

funtime3 wrote:
I wish this was done as a retail DCUC 5-pack years ago. I would have dropped the $75 for them

Good point. This would have made sooo much sense as a Walmart 5-pack back then. Also, with all the two-packs they had lots of chances to get these done. For the people who don't care about SP at all it's pretty good cause they can just ignore these (expect for that Mxy that is $30 + shipping that should have just been a pack-in with some other fig already released).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Noisy commented on the CM situation in his armchair coverage over at IAT... Perhaps the reason that so little commotion is being made is that he is an easy fix as Noisy says?...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 am 
Displays Backwards

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I gotta say, "give the public what they want and watch them complain about it".

Is this what the fans wanted, though? I thought they looked pretty cool until I saw the price. Then they were not so cool.

I knew that no matter what it was, people were gonna complain, but I can totally understand people not being thrilled about some Gold Superman figure for $30 plus $10 shipping. These seven figures are gonna come out to about $240. That's about $34 a piece. Terrible.

Then again, that's what I paid for the Watchmen figures. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

That Noisy guy is always being all reasonable about things. Ridiculous.

It's probably true, but even easy custom paint jobs have to be done by someone who knows what they're doing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 am 
Loose, Missing Package

BCYa wrote:
I knew that no matter what it was, people were gonna complain, but I can totally understand people not being thrilled about some Gold Superman figure for $30 plus $10 shipping. These seven figures are gonna come out to about $240. That's about $34 a piece. Terrible.

If buying all of them you're looking at around $35 apiece for six figures. They're selling them three at a time so if you combine shipping (and use USPS ground) you're looking at something under $15 for three figures (I used $15 for shipping given what I'm paying for four MOTUCs shipped currently and letting that leave just a bit of wiggle room in case shipping goes up a bit before then, granted, the numbers don't include any attempt at adding sales tax). And, again, if you can find someone to combine orders with you'll look at about $11 for the first figure and about a dollar extra for each additional one (I've ordered enough at once to require two packages and they don't "start over" for shipping for the second one).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Very cool surprise. $40 is a tough price but I'm sure the Super Powers purists will bite the bullet. Sad the line is over but they had a great run. Might have to pickup Batman and Riddler down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

I think it has to be mentioned how bad the timing was for this. 2 days earlier, DCC comes out with some awesome looking Timmverse designs, with articulation and for 25.00. It makes the Mattel repaints look even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 pm 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:
I think it has to be mentioned how bad the timing was for this. 2 days earlier, DCC comes out with some awesome looking Timmverse designs, with articulation and for 25.00. It makes the Mattel repaints look even worse.

This.

I have often wondered why smaller companies like DCC can out-sculpt and now out-price the largest toy manufacturer in the world. With the volume of business Mattel provides to the Chinese factories, Mattel receives a much better price per figure than smaller companies with fewer orders. So why, with all of their resources, can't Mattel make better quality / priced products?

My guess is corporate greed. The more overpaid executive vice presidents you have, the more the price goes up and the quality goes down. I honestly believe that Mattel will exit the collector market entirely in a few years simply because they can't compete with the smaller, quality-based companies.

Hopefully for Mattel the market value of repackaged nostalgia is $30.00 plus shipping these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Superpowers1980 wrote:
Mattel loves to scream poverty

Yes, I know they do. And Mattel is also a company that has a CEO who gives himself a 10 million dollar bonus every year. Not to mention his own company car, his own company jet and (get this) his own company helicopter.

batfink is right. Mattel, and Hasbro as well, are companies that have a LOT of overhead. Besides greedy executives, they also have huge office buildings full of rank and file employees that need to be paid.

If you're on the bubble about getting these things, my suggestion is just wait. I could be wrong about this, but my feeling is you'll see a ton of these at Big Lots or some other close out retailer in about a year or so, probably for about 8 or 9 bucks each.

30 dollars each for repaints is way, way too much. Don't let yourself get gouged.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 pm 
3 3/4"

If anyone has seen the PD walkthough of the DC stuff.Scott even says Myx was going to be a pack in with the Light Blue Superman.Who was going to be part of the IE 2014.I flipped my poop over this.Why not add Nekrons sythe and charge 20 bucks for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 pm 
Aspires to be #1

A light blue Superman in the sub? They really don't get it do they? 2014 was going to be the year or repeats and repaints I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:54 pm 
Brand Manager

Well the repaint Superman would have been how they justified the fully tooled Myx I can live with that in the sub. But these are way too much money and glad I am not a huge Super Powers nut sorry guys my age range are Timmverse nuts! Also if Shazam was too easy they why was the Batman not too easy ? I made my Batman from a wave 1 Detective Batman ( which has rocker ankles mind you ...) and a head from the Azreal 2 pack bam now paint or nothing. I also popped the wave 1 head on the battle damage Bats and sold it for like $23 on Ebay lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Don't forget guys that DCC doesn't have to pay licensing fees for the characters. That's not inconsequential these days for A-listers like Batman and Superman.

In addition to all the overhead stuff other people have mentioned.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next