Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: One last final DCUC: so who will be the surprise figure?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 am 
ABS

I am speculating but I believe these will be decent sellers and will become big collectors items. I am sold on these regardless of price anyway but I do have a feeling that they will become highly sought after in the years to come.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:57 am 
Aspires to be #1

Superpowers1980 wrote:
I am speculating but I believe these will be decent sellers and will become big collectors items. I am sold on these regardless of price anyway but I do have a feeling that they will become highly sought after in the years to come.

Well the feel I've gotten around the internet is that these will be clogging super powers ebay search results for years and years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 am 
ABS

j1h15233 wrote:
Superpowers1980 wrote:

Well the feel I've gotten around the internet is that these will be clogging super powers ebay search results for years and years.

Well, we both are speculating. There are many people who are intrigued by these and yes there is some backlash but when has that ever stopped or changed anything. The Bayformers were trashed yet many bought them and they were successful sellers, same deal with the Total Heroes line, I have never seen a toyline trashed like Total Heroes and then saw a complete reversal to this magnitude, they have been selling very well, the adult collectors are snagging them up big time.

When it comes to collectors, complaining means very little (bayformers, total heroes), price hikes (motuc) also mean very little, the same complainers almost always break down. Super Powers are still big on the second market, and in recent years their value has skyrocketed so these additions are going to attract that community too.

These will be highly sought after in years to come, trust that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am 
Aspires to be #1

Well good luck to those people. Personally I don't think repainted figures are worth 40 bucks a piece.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am 
Cold-cast

When you buy the Super Powers DCUC, buy them as a fan and not as a collector. Because if you buy them thinking they will increase in price over time, you will be one sorry collector.

My prediction is that they will go on sale on Matty sometime after the initial offering, then be released at stores like Big Lots. Once that happens, you will see bargain basement prices on Ebay.

Once most of those figures find homes with collectors after Ebay in about 10 to 15 years, maybe the price will creep up to $30 or $40 again. Maybe. But after inflation, it will still be a loss.

These figures are not particularly rare, are repaints, and are not of the kind of quality you see with the higher end collectibles. So my advice is just get them because you love to look at them on your shelf. If you can wait a year or two to buy them, you will probably get a better deal.

As evidence, check Ebay for past Matty DC comics exclusives. You can find almost any figure Matty has offered for equal or less money on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:43 am 
ABS

Repainted figures are not worth 40 bucks a piece but everyone has their own flavor they like. I don't get how people pay those crazy prices for Japanese imports or how people pay inflated prices at places like Toywiz, etc but they do.

Speculating that these will end up at Big Lots is extremely far reaching....DCUC has never really turned up there, mainly it has been Ghostbusters and MOTUC. I seriously doubt these will end up at Big Lots. Also the reason why Matty exclusive figures are so cheap on ebay is because of chinese sellers. Chinese sellers are selling exclusives for 10.00 to 20.00 with free shipping so ebay sales isn't really a good way to gauge true resell value considering the circumstance. I follow ebay sales and these chinese sellers are making a small fortune selling figures on the cheap. That is why Matty exclusives such as DCSS and Watchmen have a low resale value, chinese sellers are making a small fortune seeling these between 10-15.00 dollars.

I don't think anyone is interested in buying these for their value going up, I am getting these regardless because they are my main area of interest. With that I said I believed these will go up in value but really that depends on the glut of chinese after-hours figures.

Lastly buying three of these helps justify the 10.00+ shipping cost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 am 
Cold-cast

The Chinese sellers didn't flinch at charging $800 for a JLU Firefly either, when those figures were rare. I'm not saying don't buy the Super Powers reprints. By all means they are a treat for the SP fans. What I am saying is don't expect them to increase in value very much, because modern Mattel figures rarely do. They are far too common and don't have the top quality sculpts or details that other collector products do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 am 
ABS

Wait when did they charge 800 bucks for a JLU Firefly? Is the figure rare, I don't know anything about it.

I get you on the Mattel thing, I think the uniqueness of it may contribute. Like I said it is speculation that one day they could be valuable for their direct connection to the Super Powers line. For me it doesn't matter I just can't wait to own these.

Here is another question, is there JLU/BAS representation most of the 33 Super Powers characters?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am 
Aspires to be #1

DCUC exclusives have most definitely made their way to closeout stores before. These will most likely do the same unless they were made in incredibly small numbers.

And the "missing" 3-pack figures which were eventually released were going for 500+ when they first turned up. I think I saw 3 Firefly figures finish over 600 bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:15 am 
ABS

What DC figures made it to Big Lots aside from the Superman/Batman line which failed due to extremely poor distribution. I don't recall any DCUC ever turning up at Big Lots. I know the 12 inch movie masters hit Big Lots.

I must of stopped collecting JLU when the Firefly or 3 pack figures were out or were supposed to come out. Last figure I remember that was crazy expensive was the Aquaman. I think the last I bought was the Darkseid and Kalibak 2 pack. Funny because recently I went through my storage and could not believe how many JLU figures I have, I forgot there was a time I was buying these like crazy, I have almost three cases full but totally forgot about them. Those were the good ol'days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am 
Cold-cast

Yes when Firefly and the other JLU prototypes were made but the line was cancelled, the prices for the unreleased figures skyrocketed into crazy prices. The Chinese sellers will charge based on market demand.

The Super Powers repaints are really cool but I wish they were cheaper. DCC kind of stole my figure budget with all of the great stuff they are making lately. But I still hope the SP figures sell out on Matty. The fact that we have all of these different companies making such a wide variety DC figures is a great thing! Something for everyone.

Now someone make a collector Batcave playset / figure display!!

Last edited by batfink on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm 
Brand Manager

Superpowers1980 wrote:
What DC figures made it to Big Lots aside from the Superman/Batman line which failed due to extremely poor distribution. I don't recall any DCUC ever turning up at Big Lots. I know the 12 inch movie masters hit Big Lots.

The Nekron wave hit Big Lots, as did the Super Friends wave, and the Omac/Jemm wave. I know because I keep checking them in the hopes of finding the Superboy Prime wave.

As for these DCUC/Super Powers figures... I love 'em, I want 'em, but I just realized that at the end of the day, I'm basically paying $30+plus dollars for the Super Powers card. And said card might bend, break or even show up creased!!! So basically, I think I'm better off saving my high-res pics of the Super Powers proofs and buying myself some clamshells. (It's what Star Wars and Mego fans have been doing for ages.)

The sad thing is that at $20 dollars a pop, I might've not noticed. But at $30 to $40 dollars... well, that's just hard, too hard, to ignore. Specially when you realize that the 6 inch Total Heroes figures are selling for $9.99, and the 2014 Signature figures will go for $25. Hell, the fact that Bound Doomsday will cost $5 dollars more than Mxyzptlk, just makes this whole thing Bizarro Crazy!

(That 2014 DC Universe Master License is one tricky sumofbeach.) :wink:

Last edited by red Ricky on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Variant Head

I thin Mattel should quite playing games offer all these figures at once, their nickel and diming us is killing them in the end. I use to drop a lot of money at once on DCUC and buy figures I thought were lame cause of the CNCs and getting all them in one shot. Khamandi sucked in my mind even though he was tooled threw the nose and had 3 weapons, but I bought him cause he had Ultra Humanites torso. Now imagine if the dud like Uncle Sam had Doomsday torso? and was offered on the same day as the rest of the Doomsday parts ? I just think Mattels tactics are getting to them. Even Myx like will he REALLY sell out at $30 plus shipping ? I mean I would just buy the DC Direct one at that point

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:33 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm sure the quantities produced for these figures will be quite low, especially since Mattel knows they couldn't even sell enough for a sub. So while many people would not be interested in these for the price alone, the small few that would get them should help Mattel at least break even. If enough people bought the figures in the first place, we might even still be seeing these at retail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:50 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Break even? It couldn't have cost that much for 5 repaints and a tiny Mxy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next