Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seriously? NOTHING on Batman 66?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

ok so we had a display of the old figures and surfboard Joker. Was anybody available for question this year because it seems like all the news came only from Press releases this year? Anybody hear anything?

Post subject: Re: Seriously? NOTHING on Batman 66?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 am 
Variant Head

Hey they also had 0 Disney Cars .....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:39 am 
Loose, Missing Package

gigantor138 wrote:
ok so we had a display of the old figures and surfboard Joker. Was anybody available for question this year because it seems like all the news came only from Press releases this year? Anybody hear anything?

At the presentation Scott said that there was one new figure for spring (Surf's Up Joker) and that the Batmobile would continue to ship throughout the year.

That says to me that the retailers dropped the ball by not ordering enough last fall, Mattel stopped working on anything past those first two assortment because of that, the quick sell through saw the retailers change their minds, Mattel picking up where they left off, more new product timed to the dvd release later in the year. I'd expect to hear more at SDCC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:11 am 
Resin

I don't think anyone expected this to be a multi-wave, ongoing line.

Also, the retail division of Mattel should actually be fired. Really. Fired. They are terrible at their jobs. They are terrible at engaging their customers. Anyone who disagrees should also be fired. Mattel seems stuck in the past and really needs some fresh blood to reinvigorate their shockingly limited and self-hindering corporation.

I wouldn't expect anything great from Mattel DC retail anymore. We will be lucky if we get Batgirl and some other Batman variant (e.g. pink cowl) along with the Surf's Up Joker, maybe as a SDCC item, but knowing Mattel, I wouldn't be surprised if all we got was disappointment. That seems to be their new goal with their DC offerings. Disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 am 
shirtless hugger

GoldBlade6 wrote:
Also, the retail division of Mattel should actually be fired. Really. Fired. They are terrible at their jobs. They are terrible at engaging their customers. Anyone who disagrees should also be fired. Mattel seems stuck in the past and really needs some fresh blood to reinvigorate their shockingly limited and self-hindering corporation.

I'm not sure if you're kidding. But the customers of Mattel's retail division are retailers, like Target and Kmart. What we get at retail depends on what buyers for those chains order.

Regardless, it sounded like there was interest among retailers for more Batman 66 products, but those wheels can move slowly, and Mattel is not ready to announce anything now. Like Jim said, we might hear some news at SDCC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:49 am 
Tis' but a pup

i read somewhere that we are getting egghead and surfin joker. i want beware the batman figures. mattel please give him his own line instead of putting him into batman unlimited and power attack. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 am 
Aspires to be #1

Didn't Beware get cancelled already? No way toys are coming if that's true.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:03 am 
Resin

GregNYC wrote:
I'm not sure if you're kidding. But the customers of Mattel's retail division are retailers, like Target and Kmart. What we get at retail depends on what buyers for those chains order.

Thank you for the benefit of the doubt, but no. I really think the retail team is that awful. Technically, you are right. Target and Kmart are the ones these products are being sold to by Mattel, but from a broader perspective, these retail chains are only middlemen for the consumer, because it is the consumer who purchases the product makes it viable for the middleman to invest in bringing the product to the consumer (customers of Mattel's product via the retailer/middleman).

The retail team does not interact with the consumer, the final buyers of these items - or at least doesn't do so with any transparency online - and they seem unable to sell product to these retail chains that is comparable in quality and price to the offerings of other toy companies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am 
Cold-cast

The worst part is that Mattel has previously said that the '66 line was "selling really well". That's a direct quote. Huh? The collectors support your line, it sells really well, and then you abandon it? So what is it now, numerous but not loud?

I'm telling you, Mattel is quietly diminishing their collector offerings because they are a bigger risk than making scores of cheap, brightly colored toys for 6 year olds. As a bonus, no collector products means no collector animosity.

DCC, Sideshow, Square Enix, Medicom, Hot Toys and the other collector companies are where it's at now for DC action figures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:17 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I'm going to offer my two cents here, but I'm going to try to tread very lightly as well....

I'll start with the '66 line as that is the thread we are in:
* I agree with Jim. I think retail bought into the line thinking it'd be a nice niche product on the shelves. Retail wasn't sure what to expect beyond waves 1 and 2 and backed out. By that time, Wave 1 was only starting to hit the shelves and, SURPRISE, it was a HUGE collector hit. By the time word gets back to the retail buyers, product is sold out and customers are asking for more, laying blame on the only open communication line they have, Mattel. Again, by this time, Mattel has had reduced interest and starts to take their plans and wind down only to be told "we want more!" from the corporate buyers. Now they have to "start the machines" again and, unfortunately, it leaves them without anything new to show at Toy Fair. Which makes the collectors, who want information NOW, start crying foul. The fact that the line had a "placeholder" at Toy Fair is indication to me that Mattel is moving forward with more figures. Most likely to tie into the launch of the now much anticipated and celebrated release of the series on DVD. Which means we will see more info trickle out over the coming months and most likely an official reveal at SDCC (which is arguably a more important showing of new product than Toy Fair is as its focus is more for "collector" and not "retail").

But, then again, patience has never been the strong suit of anyone who calls themselves a collector. I am guilty of that as well, admittedly.

*as for Mattel and DC being made for the collector.... Honestly, I don't expect any company that mass produces with the intent of selling at RETAIL, to ever truly make product "for collectors". It just isn't realistic anymore. On that same note, I will always prefer to buy my figures at retail over anything produced by Hot Toys, Square Enix, Medicom, etc. simply because of the price point. My own personal preference, but I will openly admit it.
I like what Mattel produces. I like that they constantly try to give us something new. I get that it doesn't always hit the mark. I get that many of my fellow collectors want more or different or bigger/better/cheaper, etc. But, honestly, is Mattel really failing that much? JLU, regardless of all the distribution issues, was an amazing line of figures. DCUC, again, regardless of the distribution issues or any personal biases about character choices, was a truly remarkable line. Action league was FUN. Brave and the Bold was FUN. The new "evergreen" line and Total Heroes lines are FUN and AFFORDABLE.
Yes, I have had some quality issues (mostly the "greying" of the plastic) but most of them are so minor, to me and my collecting habits, that it isn't anything worth getting worked up about. And the QC issues aren't any different than anything I've ever dealt with from other toy companies either, to be honest.

Again, this is all MY TAKE on it. I'm not a hater. I'm not an apologist. But I am TRYING to be a bit more level headed and logical about how I approach these things. Your mileage may vary, hope I didn't step on anyone's toes here.

Patience guys. Good things will come.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

For the most part, I think Mattel has done a decent job. I'd get them a B early on and a C+ for the past three years or so.

The problem is that the action figure market as a whole is undergoing rapid change. EVERYTHING is shrinking. Just look at the aisles. Not all that long ago, the Action Figure aisle was full on both sides, with some spill over into other aisles. Now in many stores (especially Walmart), the action figures are barely half an aisle, and in many places even less as cars and Legos infringe on the space.

In reality, action figures are a shadow of what they were even 10-15 years ago, much less the Golden Age of the 80's.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

batfink wrote:
So what is it now, numerous but not loud?
Oh, snap! Somebody needs to throw that line in Mattel's face.
GoldBlade6 wrote:
It sounds REALLY harsh but I have to agree. When people are more excited about DC Direct's offerings than Mattel's (which SHOULD be the flagship DC line) you know there is a problem.

New rule: If you don't acknowledge the existence of the federal government, then you don't get to use its Constitution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:28 am 
ABS

If this line goes on I am happy, if it is over I am still happy. Having these six essential figures is enough, any other offering is cool too but I am happy enough at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:10 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I have to agree, we got the most important figures in the show minus Batgirl. If she shows up at SDCC I will be happy.

Now about Mattel in general. Their biggest problem in my opinion is that they have excepted mediocrity into their business model. It exists in pretty much every line they have produced since they acquired the DC license. It's in the company's DNA. It has been there before Toy Guru and it will exist after him as well.

I for one am sick of their excuses. I'm sick of the extreme price hikes for figures. I am sick of quality control and paint app issues that I wouldn't tolerate from a blind monkey in the middle of an 8.0 earthquake. I collected JLU and DCUC and the batman lines before that, and the one thing that bugged me most was the quality never matched the cost. I had DCUC figures literally explode taking them out of package. Rubber limbs that are now warped beyond the ability to stand. Some came like this. Some have warped over time. And JLU was all over the map in consistency. Some figures looked great and others were down right dollar store cheap. You'll notice I haven't brought up distribution yet. While it is something I've complained about I've just grown to accept it as the norm. Better case loads would most likely solve this problem but I don't expect Mattel cares as long as the stores buy it up. Cheap materials, bad paint apps, horrible distribution and load outs. And most important, a culture of mediocrity from a company that when it all comes down to it doesn't care about it's own product. Hey it's Mattel, it's what they do best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:08 am 
Tis' but a pup

it looks like a trick not giving us any information about new figures . the only toy line we get information about is motuc and that sucks. :evil: