Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC 2014 releases....Early access by MOTUC subscribers only?!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

So, with the last death-throws of the DCUC line coming out, including the much requested Gold Superman and Hal Jordan Riddler :? , the folks that will have early access to these figs are the people that purchased MOTUC subscriptions. Meanwhile those of us that supported the DCUC line and purchased every nugget of excrement to fall out of Neitlich's rectum including all the Matty 2-packs, all the subscriptions - sight unseen, even the Watchmen sub and the Legion 12 pack, have to wait until day of sale and risk the figs not being available...

Doesn't seem quite right does it?

--Sean

Post subject: Re: DC 2014 releases....Early access by MOTUC subscribers on
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I'm sorry but I don't get why that is such a sticking point for some people.

Early access was an "advantage" of being a sub holder. ANY subholder. The DC sub was not supported to the level it needed to be to go through. Therefore the only sub-holders who get the "benefit" of early access are the ones that have the only actual sub: MOTUC.

Does it seem "fair"? No, but why is it an issue?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Ghostbuster fans have been raging about that since that sub didn't go through yet there hasn't been a problem one getting any of the Ghostbusters stuff. If you're still paranoid about missing something find a local with an MOTUC sub to order during EA for you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am 
Knows his stuff

No, you're 100% right is doesn't.

But, for MATTEL (and Scatt Scott) this is 100% typical, we just have to take it once more.

I am not a fan of MATTEL (obviously), however, they are like most big companies I would assume.. where there are many middle managers doing busy work, towing the line, trying to stay employed (who can blame them)... all so sheepish that the real goals of their jobs (to sell toys) are lost to inner-company malaise and lack of initiative.

It's in this that the MATTEL pencil pushers and mouth-pieces can't resolve basic no-brainer sales objectives, and instead continue playing the only game they know. It's really pathetic, but also entertaining (to me at least, at this point) to watch how they mismanage some other aspect of their daily job responsibilities.

It's the main reason I no longer buy any new DC product from them at retail (what there is of it), and didn't join the subs after the 1st round, and won't be buying any of their figures this time except Robin. I love most GL stuff, but not enough to start a new line (nu52 stuff), and then have to buy a marked-up exclusive that fits into that line (GL Stewart set) right out of the gate... then a year from now the line is cancelled.. no thanks, 3rd time shame on me.

Couple all the above to the recent slap-in-the-face pertaining to the new Super Powers collectors line, and the aforementioned DC nu52 Stewart and future Firestorm sets NEVER being part of any sub offering.. or used in conjunction as a "sales bait for memberships" for early access to those who joined past DC subs (I'll give in to the last 4 DC figures for argument sakes) then there is really no viable reason for any of those to be MOTUC early access sales figures.

But that obvious point would take too much forward thinking from MATTEL (and Scott), OR, it's some misplaced, strategic, chess-play move by mattycollector.com employees to make it look like they're all doing something special... and ta-da!... MATTEL should not shut the Department down.

At any rate, whatever.

geoffdude

Last edited by geoffdude on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 am 
Knows his stuff

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't get why that is such a sticking point for some people.

Early access was an "advantage" of being a sub holder. ANY subholder. The DC sub was not supported to the level it needed to be to go through. Therefore the only sub-holders who get the "benefit" of early access are the ones that have the only actual sub: MOTUC.

Does it seem "fair"? No, but why is it an issue?

Na, you're wrong.

Last 4 figures yes... rest? No, no they weren't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say in that last post, geoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 am 
Knows his stuff

Jim_Abell wrote:
Not sure I understand what you're trying to say in that last post, geoff

Sorry, quick reply.

Last 4 DC sub figures make sense.. though Damian wasn't really intended for the sub initially... another issue, but those I can see going early access.

Other DC figures, new, and not used as sub bait EVER, should be sold 1st day to everyone.

Hope that's clearer.

geoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Gotcha.

Thing is people buying subs were promised EA to anything being sold on Matty that wasn't part of a sub, it's part of the incentive just like lower-than-day-of-prices and the supposed guarantee of not missing a (sub) figure and automatic purchases each month. Legally they can't change that after the subs pass or fail. It's part of why they offer the MOTUC travelling convention figure and the online chase first (though in extremely limited quantities) to sub holders first.

The Ghostbusters sub failed first, then the DCUC and WWE never had one and the only things I can remember that sold out during EA were Miss Elizabeth (and that figure had already been at retail) and the SDCC Monster High dolls.

Even MOTUC fans don't get everything that they want. Fans asked for those mini-Masters sets to be subscription based but got shot down on that. Honestly, I think that Damien is the only one that there has to be any worry over *but* I also expect Mattel to do a slightly larger run on him since it seems the Bat-family tend to sell better than the others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 am 
Knows his stuff

But the sub failed.. so that claim no longer pertains to NEW offerings.

What should the abstract cut-off date for the previous EA sales bait contention apply? Is it never-ending?

To me, logically, all EA should end with, and pertain only to, the sale(s) of the 4 remaining figures associated with the last DC sub.

Anything beyond that is a fresh start.

IMHO

geoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Here's the "Legal Contract" that Matty entered into with Subscribers...

Quote:
Early Access: Beginning in January 2014, all subscribers to 2014 Club Eternia® will be given the opportunity to purchase select non-subscription products through our monthly Early Access program. Monthly Early Access is a 24-hour period that generally occurs the business day prior to the All Access monthly sale and is open to subscribers only (subscribers are notified of the date and product offering via email prior to each monthly Early Access period). Availability is first-come, first-served and if products sell out to subscribers during the Early Access period, no additional quantities will be made available during the All Access regular monthly sale. If any products do remain after Early Access ends, they’ll usually be made available to the general public at the All Access monthly sale. Early Access products are sold separately from subscription products so shipping can't be combined with subscription orders or orders placed at MattyCollector.com during the All Access monthly sale. Products purchased together during Early Access do ship together when the shipping address/payment information is all the same. Early Access is offered at Mattel’s sole discretion. Items vary and certain convention products, chase figures, and other specialty items may not be included. In addition, select products may be offered through Early Access at various times throughout the year with no advance notice and those products may or may not be offered to the general public immediately following the Early Access period.

1. "given the opportunity to purchase select non-subscription products through our monthly Early Access program." - So technically, Mattel could remove the DCUC figs as not being "selected" and make them available to everyone day of sale.

2. "Early Access is offered at Mattel’s sole discretion." - So again, Matty could use it's "sole discretion" to allow purchasers of the DCUC 2014 sub (despite that it was cancelled and monies returned) access for Early access availability.

--Sean
(Just sayin')

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 am 
Loose, Missing Package

But that isn't how it's worded in the sales offer for the subs and it's not how it's worked in the past. It states that everything that isn't part of a sub is going to be available for EA. Here's how it's worded on the sales page for Club Etheria:

Quote:
•Early Access to Non-Subscription Products: All Club subscribers get Early Access to all non-subscription products, regardless of brand! That means you’ll have the chance to purchase hot items not available through subscriptions before they’re released to the general public, like our 2014 convention figure, Goat Man™! Availability is first-come, first-served and some quantities may be limited, so if products sell out to subscribers during the Early Access period, that’s it – no additional product will be made available to non-subscribers at that time. (Please note: Early Access for subscribers to Club Etheria™ begins in July 2014.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Posted the following in the Ask Matty portion of their forum:

Quote:
As someone who has purchased every Mattycollector website DC figure going back to the 2-packs, I think it is quite unfair that the last remaining DC releases will only be available via Early access to MOTUC subscribers. I purchased all of the subscriptions, including the failed 2014 sub that didn't make the numbers...Yet my loyalty is awarded with MOTUC subscribers getting the initial crack at the releases, which if they sell out in early access, will not even be available to me?!?!

Just another slap in the face to the fans that supported the DC line...

Thanks Scott,

--Sean

Scott replied:

Dc fans had the opportunity for Early Access and sub, but we did not have enough customers to support a 2014 sub. Our fans are very passionate and loud online, but in the end we did not have enough of them. It is 100% a math issue.

Is it just me, or did he miss the gist of my question completely?

--Sean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:50 am 
Loose, Missing Package

No. I don't think he missed the gist of your question, he's just giving a very straightforward answer. The sub didn't go through so the benefits that would have gone with it aren't going to be available.

Again, I think you're worrying over nothing. The DC figures won't sell out during EA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am 
Knows his stuff

Regardless...

"Early Access is offered at Mattel’s sole discretion."

"Items vary and certain convention products, chase figures, and other specialty items may not be included."

The above 2 contractual statements directly indicate MATTEL can do whatever they want in conjunction to items put up for EA.. and are not locked into making ALL MATTEL items EA.

Basically they do what they want to do.. as they always have.

geoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Jim_Abell wrote:
But that isn't how it's worded in the sales offer for the subs and it's not how it's worked in the past. It states that everything that isn't part of a sub is going to be available for EA. Here's how it's worded on the sales page for Club Etheria:

Quote:
•Early Access to Non-Subscription Products: All Club subscribers get Early Access to all non-subscription products, regardless of brand! That means you’ll have the chance to purchase hot items not available through subscriptions before they’re released to the general public, like our 2014 convention figure, Goat Man™! Availability is first-come, first-served and some quantities may be limited, so if products sell out to subscribers during the Early Access period, that’s it – no additional product will be made available to non-subscribers at that time. (Please note: Early Access for subscribers to Club Etheria™ begins in July 2014.)

But it is the actual legal jargon related to the early access portion of the subscription. Would you be surprised if Mattycollector.com pulled a bait-and-switch with their subscriptions? That's never happened, before.... :roll:

--Sean

http://www.clubs.mattycollector.com/sto ... wegsK4z3nE