Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Has the New 52 Affected Your Toy Buying?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I ask this question because I have not been a big fan of DC's New 52. I don't care for many of the redesigned character bios or costumes. I don't read very many DC comics anymore nor am I interested in buying figures based on these new designs.

The only positive has been a few extra dollars in my wallet! I am curious to see if others are buying less like me or, perhaps, more as the new designs have raised your interest in DC comics.

Thanks,

John

Post subject: Re: Has the New 52 Affected Your Toy Buying?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:43 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Surprisingly, it really hasn't affected me that much overall.

Mainly, its just shifted my money into other collecting areas. I've been buying many more Lego sets than I used to, as well as other "minifigure" type offerings from other companies.

I love the Imaginext figures (whether they are Nu52 or not). Total Heroes seem to work very nicely with the new costume designs as well.

However, much like you, I truly LOVE the classic versions of the characters and still want to be able to find those on the pegs as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:50 am 
Brand Manager

The difference in scales between Mattel and DC Collectibles is what affects me the most when buying DC toys. As a result, I've switched my attention to Hasbro's Marvel Legends. Those have scale issues, too. But for the most part, they appear to be taller than their Toy Biz predecessors and closer in size to DCUC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:42 am 
PVC

Yep. I won't touch anything nu52. Hate the changes and hate the new costumes. Give me the classic costumes and the old universe any day. Until that happens I am spending my toy money on other things and giving Hasbro a large chunk of it on GI Joe, Masterpiece Transformers and Star Wars Black 6 inch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:50 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Absolutely. I'll never buy anything with a New 52 design. It astonishes me that DC is leaving money on the table by not making figures based on the classic designs. I understand that they want the toys to back up or accentuate what they're doing now, but...throw a dog a bone guys!

If the New 52 has done anything, it's to completely alienate me from DC Comics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:12 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Absolutely. I bought JLU not because they were great figures, but because I loved the show. I bought DC Classics for my love of the history of the DCU. I refuse to buy any New 52 figures because they represent business over creative. Some outfits are fine, others are disgusting. They're probably built better than anything I have from DC Direct. But I cannot even slightly encourage what's going on at DC Comics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:10 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
I bought JLU not because they were great figures, but because I loved the show.

Quote for truth 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:43 pm 
Cold-cast

I won't buy any figure that is Nu52 either. Can't stand most of the new character designs. Just like the statement above, I bought JLU because the show was great. The figures, Meh. mattel did a terrible job with them for the most part. So I buy figures more based on the source material. Since I really do not like the characters new designs & costumes, why would I buy them? I understand things change. But when those changes are terrible, doesn't mean I have to roll with them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:15 pm 
An Insider

I did buy Mattel's DCUC New 52 figures and the Total Heroes line.
I've stayed away from the DC Collectibles figures for a long while, but I will be buying the "Earth 2" related figures and 1 or 2 other New 52 figures that I like. I will continue to pick and choose only the figures that I like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 am 
Collector Inspector

At first: No, not at all. In fact , I was a real booster for the whole New 52 initiative. But, as time moved on, I acquired a bit of a bad taste for the New52. I jumped on some of the New figures last year, and I liked them, but I don't look on them too fondly now. And honestly, I'm more likely now to just give them away to some neighborhood kid than put them in an honored place in my collection.

That said, in an effort to be totally objective to the quality and design of the figures, I would say the Batgirl is a really beauty of design and craftsmanship and paint. That figure is just a stunner and blows away the older Classic sculpt, although that figure is also pretty nice. I recommend people get that one for yourself and all your friends. The Unlimited Wonder Woman figure is quite nice but doesn't display the personality and stately power of the DCUC classic version. The Hawkman is quite nice, but I passed on them, and I didn't get Flash. I hate this trend of artists putting chin guards on all new male costumes. Like, are they are Football players? It just looks dumb. Is their chin cold? Is it a chin diaper? So my protest against the New 52 grew with the rise of chin guards.

When Mattel failed to make a Cyborg , I knew I made the right decision to not go all in with these figures. I now approach every new DC Mattel line with caution.

DC Collectibles are doing some AMAZING stuff. Thankfully, their figures always break and are too expensive, otherwise, I would be buying everything.

In the meantime, there's some new, free DC comics in General Cereals right now and they are wearing their old costumes (sans Cyborg) so I'll stick with free comics and boxes of Cookie Crisp for now. I will most definitely not be supporting Total Heroes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 am 
ABS

Other than not having DCUC to buy at retail, no, the new 52 hasn't really affected me much. I don't buy all of the new 52 figures, but just pick & choose certain ones. I wish they would have a larger output of characters more than anything.

I'm also picking up other things, like Marvel Super Hero Mashers. At first I was a bit lukewarm with them, but after buying a couple, I really like them. And I'm glad to see the line expanding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:43 am 
Aspires to be #1

Yea, it pushed me into Power Rangers and TMNT. Well the classics from my childhood anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:06 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

although it has drastically affected my comic buying-- my figure buying not as much, although that is not really indicative of how much I dislike the designs- because I was picking and choosing on dc figures well before the new 52.

What amuses me is the most controversial change is still Harley Quinn, and as much as they push the new 52 on every single licensed thing out there- the only character that gets a pass is Harley and sometimes Poison Ivy.. Eaglemoss chess sets, pop vinyl, Lego, imaginext, everything is forcing the new look but Harley-- they really need to just say the new design was a bust.. Which they are addressing in the comic- by her pretty much changing her outfit every day (and even making a comment about that in the comic)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:36 am 
Aspires to be #1

stewbacca wrote:
although it has drastically affected my comic buying-- my figure buying not as much, although that is not really indicative of how much I dislike the designs- because I was picking and choosing on dc figures well before the new 52.

What amuses me is the most controversial change is still Harley Quinn, and as much as they push the new 52 on every single licensed thing out there- the only character that gets a pass is Harley and sometimes Poison Ivy.. Eaglemoss chess sets, pop vinyl, Lego, imaginext, everything is forcing the new look but Harley-- they really need to just say the new design was a bust.. Which they are addressing in the comic- by her pretty much changing her outfit every day (and even making a comment about that in the comic)

I think she's probably the worst change. The new look they gave her in her book is even worse than the one they started with in the New 52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 am 
Resin

The New 52 has basically killed my DC toy buying since that's all that's being pushed right now, and I won't buy anything New 52.
It also could be partly blamed for killing Mattel's DCU line. Someone else can go buy Total Heroes. I will have none of it.

I would buy Movie Masters, but Mattel decided to kill that too and 6" in general and put all the character we've been asking for (e.g. Keaton Batman, etc.) in the 4" line just as a final FU.