Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Has the New 52 Affected Your Toy Buying?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 am 
4" scale

The New 52 resulted in me switching my toy buying from Mattel to DCC. I prefer the classic looks but I don't hate the new designs (well, most of them). The DCC figures are nicely articulated and have excellent sculpts so they've been added to my collection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 pm 
ABS

I love the dcc harley figure. I like the classic look and the suicide squad costume, Im not a fan of any arkham costumes or costumes from her own book.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 pm 
Displays Backwards

Yeah, I'm spending more money. I have all the DCC New 52 figures and am planning on buying them all. So I am spending more money because I was never really into DCUC figs that much, I would just pick and choose.

But I do miss being able to come here and discuss DC toys with people, like back in the JLU days. Now it's pretty much just anti-New 52 complainers, as this thread has shown. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:14 pm 
MINT!

has alan scott started dating again since the death of his boyfriend?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:07 pm 
An Insider

gleek wrote:
has alan scott started dating again since the death of his boyfriend?

No, Alan Scott has been MIA in the book for several issues, after Superman pounded his face in. But Green Lantern is due to make a return next month as his powers yet again heal him. There is a global war going on, there is no time for dating, unless he saw his friend in the after-life.

To steer this back on topic, I like the looks of the Earth 2 figures. I was tempted to buy 2 Green Lanterns so that I can re-paint one to the black and green "concept" version of his costume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

While I do think some of the Wonder Woman figures I've seen since the launch of the New 52 have had great sculpts (or at least better than the sculpts that came before), I'm not into the New 52 and haven't bought any.

But really - it's kind of NICE not to be chasing down figures the way we were with JLU. It was a frustrating cycle of us trying to get them/hunting stores for them, and then them being made with cheap plastics and warping...

I'm just looking more at the toys I already have and appreciating them, or trying to track down the one or two old vintage figures I never got around to finding.

JLU brought out my inner collector and now that it's done, I'm just reverting to normal again :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02 am 
BANNED, for I am scammer Matt Mason

I like a lot of the new 52 costumes although I prefer classic. I have a few of the DCD new 52 figures MOC I'm getting rid of but keeping the Mattel versions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:16 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

I buy toys of the characters I care about. The New 52 is an awful representation of most of those characters, so I'm not much interested in toys that reflect that. I bought the DC Unlimited Batman and Superman because I collect those characters and I really don't mind the costume changes. I didn't buy Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I would have bought a Green Lantern because that's something else I collect. I did in fact buy the Total Heroes Green Lantern Corps figure -- one only.

And no shifting my spending here -- I don't have to collect just to collect so the money I would have spent on Mattel 6" DC figures just stays in the bank along with the money I used to spend on DC comics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Yes, (though the Superman fan in me couldn't help but buy the DCC NU 52 Superman, lol.) Aside from that and some of their movies (MOS/TDK and some of their DTVs) I have essentially boycotted DC Comics, cause it sucks now.

D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:49 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

When JLU finished, I was pretty much done buying Mattel's DCU stuff. With the rise of the New 52, I have found an anti-desire for anything New 52 related. I quit reading DC Comics cold turkey. What little hope I had for true, non-New 52 infected DCU toys was thrown out the window.

Short answer: I was winding down my DC toy buying anyway. The New 52 was the definitive end to my DC habit, short of DC Superheroes Lego.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:06 am 
Ferret Farmer

I haven't brought any of the New 52 figures. I didn't spend all that time and money (plus MIA characters) to then have to restart all over again. No Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:29 pm 
Resin

abuddah wrote:
Absolutely. I bought JLU not because they were great figures, but because I loved the show. I bought DC Classics for my love of the history of the DCU. I refuse to buy any New 52 figures because they represent business over creative. Some outfits are fine, others are disgusting. They're probably built better than anything I have from DC Direct. But I cannot even slightly encourage what's going on at DC Comics.

This. I hate the New52 and want as little to do with it as possible. Personally, I blame it for the demise of DC Universe Classics. I think Mattel was taken unawares.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 pm 
shirtless hugger

There's just nothing to buy at retail in my area. I miss the cannon of the old universe but I don't mind most of the redesigns.