Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Justice League Unlimited – A Love Story: Q + A
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I'm sure you've all read this by now, great article by Danny:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/just ... ove-story/

I'd love to hear your answers:

1. What is your favorite figure?
2. What figure are you most surprised they made?
3. What one figure would you have wanted that was not made?
4. What was the hardest figure to acquire?
5. Which figure is the hardest for you to stand?!

Here's mine:

1. Tough call - I like character faves - Dr. Fate, Midnite but also well crafted ones like Scarecrow, Gentlemen Ghost. So many greats!
2. Amanda Waller. Never would have called that one getting made!
3. Hal Jordan - have a nice custom now (thanks Spy!)
4. Hal Jordan - still my Holy Grail
5. All of them. I had to create stands - Dove was definitely one of the worst!

Post subject: Re: Justice League Unlimited – A Love Story: Q + A
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am 
Aspires to be #1

Favorite figure – For me, I think it’s classic Batman. There’s something about that figure that really stands out to me. Apologies to about 15 other contenders!

Most surprising figure – I think it’s still Amanda Waller. I remember the day we got the first image of that figure and I was blown away that she was actually being made

One figure I want that was not made – That’s a super easy question for me…Robin. Ever since I discovered the line existed, I wanted a Dick Grayson Robin from BTAS and we never got it. Close second is a BTAS style Riddler.

Hardest to acquire – As someone who came in late to the game, it was a tie between Dove, show accurate Black Canary and Shayera Hol. I didn’t discover the line really until 2008 and those three figures were so hard for me to track down at a reasonable price. Even stalwarts like Grundy and Volcana were easier for me to find.

Hardest to stand – Great question haha. The answer is Vixen (or any of the other females before the foot hole pegs). Their feet are so small that it’s a really tricky balancing act with them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 am 
Collector Inspector

Tough one. So many ... I'd probably go with Etrigan.

Again, this covers a LOT. Mostly, it's the ones that weren't on the show. I'd probably go with Blue Beetle.

So many ... Morgana le Fay, Circe, Klarion the Witchboy. Don't get me started.

I did okay on everything, mostly because I didn't mind paying extra and relying on eBay. I spent the most time on that initial Barda wave of three-packs that never made it to the East Coast. Finally eBayed the lot, thankfully before the price really skyrocketed.

This is too hard. You should ask which ones stand well. The list is shorter that way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm 
Cold-cast

First of all if you read the article, how could he have not watched BTAS or STAS? BTAS was the epic cartoon that started it all. Anyway, onto the questions.

1. What is my My Favorite figure?

It has to be Lobo. I really didn't think mattel would ever make him. The sculpt was actually well done & shockingly they made him close to the proper size.

I have to agree with some of you on Amanda Waller. Even though she was an integral part of the show, never did I think we would see her immortalized in plastic.

At the time when mattel was still making JLU figures it was TNBA Clayface! But now I have a cast of Casimir's custom & I'm more than happy with that.

I pretty much found every figure in stores besides STAS Aquaman. I used to hit a couple Target's every morning before work & after work since they were on the way. Then I would hit other area stores on the weekends or if I was bored. That figure asst with Aquaman never shipped to my area. I never saw him or any remnants of the case selection on the shelves. My area stores only had the Firestorm asst. I actually didn't have Aquaman until the china sellers on ebay flooded the market with him last year or so.

5. Which figure is the hardest for you to stand?

This is opening up a can of worms. I really hate mattel for the poor quality plastic they used. The original runs of figures with the better plastic was tough to stand just due to design of some of the figures. Then I think it was Mid way through the Fire & Ice run they started using the cheapest plastic they could. The legs are more like rubber on any figures after that. You can put them on stands & they still will warp & lean after a few days. The quality just kept getting worse & worse as the line continued. Towards the retail end all those late run figures & re-releases like Barda, Batman Beyond, Parasite, STAS Aquaman are made with such inferior quality plastic that the figures are pretty much worthless to even try to display.

Last edited by Clayface on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 pm 
Collector Inspector

I have to go with Blue Beetle. I know he isn't from the show but he's one of my all time favorite heroes. Plus, I use him a lot in my dioramas over in the 'Awkward Moments in the JLU' dioramas.

The Golden Age JSA three-pack. And I'm thrilled that they did!

any one that completes an unfinished team! Johnny Quick and Owlman for the CSA, Cat Man for the Justice Guild, the Trickster for the Rogue's Gallery, Oberon for the JLI, etc.

Still looking for a Track Suit Batman...

I have a very "helpful" kitten who loves whenever I'm setting up a diorama. Therefore, they're ALL hard to keep standing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 pm 
Cold-cast

Bryan Long wrote:

So many ... Morgana le Fay, Circe, Klarion the Witchboy. Don't get me started.

Did you mention Kalrion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm 
MINT!

JLU was totally my gateway drug to collecting.

Too many to whittle it down... top 5 has to be Future Superman with Starro, Darkseid, Yellow tracksuit Hawkgirl, Batman Beyond, Big Barda.

Bottle City of Kandor!

Lex/Brainiac hybrid (runners up include: Mercy, Roulette, Future Big Barda, Granny Goodness, Morgana La Fey, and of course the Royal Flush Gang)

Solomon Grundy, (still haven't gotten Volcana, or the Legends of the League/Secret Society 6-packs yet...)

Uhhh... all of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

1. What is your favorite figure? Firefly, anything to increase my Batman Villain Ranks.

2. What figure are you most surprised they made? Waller- Toy Logic Says-- never make a civilian figure, or a woman, or a fat, black ,older, government employee, woman for that matter, but she was essential to the show, so I am glad they did..

3. What one figure would you have wanted that was not made? I guess being honest with only what was "on the show", I'd say Roulette, Inque or the Dee Dees (although I wish we had gotten Curare, Roxy Rocket or Spoiler)

4. What was the hardest figure to acquire? I guess you could say Solomon Grundy-, and the 2 Target Fiasco six packs that never came east (but I picked all those up on ebay before the prices shot up-- so they weren't too hard.. Found everything else in stores. Volcana, Aquaman, and even Business Suit Luthor (actually got that on clearance at target for 2 bucks) ..

5. Which figure is the hardest for you to stand?! Well since I just moved all my figures this week, this one is a simple answer right now..I have drilled pegholes in all my figures-- and use stands-- and while about 35 figures have the JLU limbo lean-- my absolute worst offender right now is the Shade, second is "Green Lantern" Amazo and third is the Green Guardsman..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 am 
MINT!

So many to choose from but I think Track Suit Shayera would be my choice, and although I don't actually own it, 2nd choice might be Wonder Pig just because of the novelty and the fun episode she was in.

Maybe Scarecrow just because of how grim the design is but since he was a Matty exclusive maybe it didn't matter. So yeah I guess Waller since she was a general release fig.

I'm pretty happy with the breadth of characters we got. I'm sure I'm missing someone but the first thing that popped in my head was some version of the Royal Flush Gang with playing card cut-outs from the figure's card backing. And I guess if it's down to one fig then Ace.

I was pretty lucky hunting and having friends' help so I'll say some of the Matty Collector sets. Not because they were difficult but because the price and annoyance of dealing with Digital River stopped me from buying some of them from the site. So I've had to just wait on getting figs. Of course waiting has saved me a bunch of money so there's that plus.

My figs aren't on display at the moment but I'm sure it's one of the female figs. Those stands that were included didn't help at all usually.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

First off, thanks for the great article Danny.

Second, dear God did you guys see who one of the comments was from? Our dear banned friend Guapo hahahahaha...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

There are so many, but if I had to choose one, it'd be Lobo. I look at him and think he just walked off the screen, his sculpt is that dead on.

Again, Lobo. I never thought we'd get him. There was all this talk back in the day about Lobo being too violent and would never make it into the JLU line, then we clamored and we clamored and we clamored! Then we got him! Never thought I'd see that in a million. Beside him, it was the Question and Shazam, which were Charlton characters we'd supposedly never see in JLU, but we also got them too!! I still look at them to this day and say, damn, I can't believe they made those!

- From STAS, I would have like to have seen a Granny Goodness, she would have rounded out the Fourth World villians.
- From TNBA, I would have liked to have seen a new riddler or Mr. Freeze. As it stands, I have to make due with the old Kenner figures which are a bit out of scale.
- From JLU, Morgan La Fe would have been cool.

Legends of the League/Secret Society 6-packs. If it wasn't for the grace of board members here at AFI, I'd still probably be without them.

I bought Kaiser doll stands for all the figures, so standing them has never been a problem. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 pm 
serves the Otter

I am incapable of naming just one. My absolute favorite is probably Polly Pocket Supergirl but I love Lobo, Ultra-Humanite, Firefly, Solomon Grundy, Vandal Savage, Future Static, and Toyman almost as much. SOOOO much goodness in this line. Notice that half of my favorite figures are from that final wave. Let me just say I was perfectly happy paying $30 each for those packs.

Lobo. That shocked pretty much everyone. Amanda Waller and Eiling were definitely more puzzling choices (especially putting them in the same pack) but NO-ONE was expecting Lobo when he was announced.

BTAS Robin. He is the line's biggest oversight. The only reason I never put him on any of my wishlists was because I thought he was a shoe-in. That was a mistake. And there were a few more that needed to be made but weren't. I would have given my left nut for Teenage Static, Correct Colors Two-Face, Gear, Ebon, Hotstreak, Zeta, Ro, Blight, Spellbinder, Stalker, Shriek, Inque, Clayface, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Morgaine Le Fey, Ra's Al Ghul, Granny Goodness, etc.

Secret Society six-pack.

I don't stand my figures. I'm thinking of getting a cabinet to do it but I'd need to purchase some hook doll stands first.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm 
Tis' but a pup

"Original 7" Wonder Woman (I guess she isn't technically JLU)

Really surprised they made Amanda Waller. She's a badass character, but doesn't have a uniform or powers.

Always more LSH!!

Still don't have a real Volcana.

Any of the later 3-pack waves. They tend to have thin ankles.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:52 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
callmedude wrote:
I'm sure you've all read this by now, great article by Danny:
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/just ... ove-story/

I'd love to hear your answers:

Mine...
1. Original Release (2002-2003) Superman when his face sculpt and paint we're actually good, (DC Direct's sculpt.) The other would probably be Grundy.
2. Too many to list, but one is: Mongul.
3. Hades, Morgan Le Fay, or Orm.... So many I wanted, lol.
4. Deadshot or Joker, (working at Target at the time, I checked the back when we had stock, just to check, but we never got them in. I did get a stern talking to by one of the managers though, because unless you are working there is no going in the back, lol.)
5. All the figures that were made after 2005.

D.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:41 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

– What is your favorite figure? Green Lantern Hal Jordan with the custom ‘true’ Hal head:)
– What figure are you most surprised they made? Giganta, possibly because of the two-for-one deal.
– What one figure would you have wanted that was not made? There’s a bunch…can’t really answer that easily.
– What was the hardest figure to acquire? Still don’t have the single Volcana and Aquaman.
– Which figure is the hardest for you to stand?! There’s a few of ‘em:)

(copied and pasted from my original response in the original article)

Funny aside, when I first saw(and before I read) the original article, I thought it was the long lost JLU AFi/Mattel Interview :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'